IGNORED

Finally got a Sony Trinitron

ZillaRUSH

My old Zenith tube died last week...it was ok.  Picked up a 24" Sony Trinitron...wow...what a diff.  I had a hook up to my newer TV to play INTV......forget that now. Trintron is the way to go.  Amazing picture and stereo.   Playing INTV on it is fantastic.  Played a quick game of Super Pro Baseball....won 24-8. 

What the biggest CRT Trintron?  Don't think I have the room or a crane...just curious.  Guessing 36 or 40 inches?

Edited by ZillaRUSH
  • Like 1

I have a samsung flat screen crt, i think 30" 

Such a beautiful picture with intellivision! A few months ago it just had no audio anymore out of nowhere when i went to play...so disappointing,  no idea why it would do that :(

• 1 month later...
16 hours ago, rix said:

I have a 27" SONY WEGA Trinitron w/manual and remote that I am giving away for FREE.
I'm in the SF East Bay Area (Oakland).

Pick up only.

Want it?

If you like playing Intellivision and other retro games, and you're currently playing on an LCD, I highly recommend you take this offer. I'm playing on a 13-inch Magnavox tube and it was a HUGE visual improvement over the 24-inch flatscreen LCD - even after optimizing the picture as best I could. It simply never looked "right" to me. 

1 hour ago, Intelligentleman said:

If you like playing Intellivision and other retro games, and you're currently playing on an LCD, I highly recommend you take this offer. I'm playing on a 13-inch Magnavox tube and it was a HUGE visual improvement over the 24-inch flatscreen LCD - even after optimizing the picture as best I could. It simply never looked "right" to me. 

The other option would be to pay for your current Intellivision system to be modified so you can play games easier on current TVs.  There are several people on this site that perform that service. 

38 minutes ago, IntyFanMatt said:

The other option would be to pay for your current Intellivision system to be modified so you can play games easier on current TVs.  There are several people on this site that perform that service. 

I've never known how to feel about this option! I don't know how I'd feel about seeing the games via a different (better) output. I wish I could see a mod in person. That's the only way I'm going to be able to understand the difference.

I've never known how to feel about this option! I don't know how I'd feel about seeing the games via a different (better) output. I wish I could see a mod in person. That's the only way I'm going to be able to understand the difference.

My Intellivision is modded to play games in full 1080p. It’s called an RGB mod and it’s frickin’ amazing!!  You can watch some of my gameplay on my YouTube channel in case you want to see how it looks. Link below. I would highly recommend getting a mod done. Never have to worry about compatibility ever again.

https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCFjbyzCLIvRVh39CWG0TKdg

Edited by IntyFanMatt

21 minutes ago, IntyFanMatt said:

My Intellivision is modded to play games in full 1080p. It’s called an RGB mod and it’s frickin’ amazing!!  You can watch some of my gameplay on my YouTube channel in case you want to see how it looks. Link below. I would highly recommend getting a mod done. Never have to worry about compatibility ever again.

Oh cool! I’ll check out your channel. Thanks!

• Like 1

I have a 32" Sony Wega Trinitron TV which I've been toting around since the late 1990s, and it made it all the way to North Carolina in my last move a few years ago.  I finally got around to getting a custom retro game entertainment center built -- something which I've been wanting to do for decades now, and the whole point of keeping that 32" monster around.

So imagine my dismay when the custom cabinet was built and it turned out to be ... not big enough for the TV!!!

Sure, it fits there, but its out of scale:  the platform on which it stands is at least two inches less than the depth of the unit, from the wall to the front, so the TV sort of hangs a bit over the lip.  It's not enough to tip it over, but just enough to make it look out of place.

I then bought a 27" unit off eBay a couple of months ago to replace it, paying only for shipping, but it arrived mangled to pieces. :(  Apparently UPS does not know what "fragile" means.

I am still looking for a 27" replacement.  So ... if anybody here has (or knows someone who has) a 27" Sony Wega Trinitron TV and willing to trade it for a 32" upgrade, please PM me.  If you live in or around NC, even better.

-dZ.

Edited by DZ-Jay
  • Sad 1

14 hours ago, IntyFanMatt said:

Just watched your videos. That's phenomenal. The one for Shark Shark was interesting because down at the bottom where all that coral is has always looked very fuzzy on my systems and tvs. But on yours, you can clearly see the laticework of the coral and the lobster. It's almost like they're different games.

EDIT: You are good at Shark! Shark! I've never made it long enough to see the shark go full-on apex predator like that!

Edited by Intelligentleman
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, DZ-Jay said:

I have a 32" Sony Wega Trinitron TV which I've been toting around since the late 1990s, and it made it all the way to North Carolina in my last move a few years ago.  I finally got around to getting a custom retro game entertainment center built -- something which I've been wanting to do for decades now, and the whole point of keeping that 32" monster around.

So imagine my dismay when the custom cabinet was built and it turned out to be ... not big enough for the TV!!!

Sure, it fits there, but its out of scale:  the platform on which it stands is at least two inches less than the depth of the unit, from the wall to the front, so the TV sort of hangs a bit over the lip.  It's not enough to tip it over, but just enough to make it look out of place.

I then bought a 27" unit off eBay a couple of months ago to replace it, paying only for shipping, but it arrived mangled to pieces. :(  Apparently UPS does not know what "fragile" means.

I am still looking for a 27" replacement.  So ... if anybody here has (or knows someone who has) a 27" Sony Wega Trinitron TV and willing to trade it for a 32" upgrade, please PM me.  If you live in or around NC, even better.

-dZ.

Like a fool, I literally put a perfectly fine Sony Wega 20-inch flatscreen with component inputs and everything outside my apartment for anyone to take. Maybe 5 years ago. That was before I cared about old games.

Like a fool, I literally put a perfectly fine Sony Wega 20-inch flatscreen with component inputs and everything outside my apartment for anyone to take. Maybe 5 years ago. That was before I cared about old games.

I know the feeling.  I think I'm too much of a pack-rat to let go of too much stuff.  I did manage to get rid of most of my Lego Star Wars spaceship collection before my last move, selling them on eBay for high prices.  Now I feel like a fool because the kits I sold are discontinued and unavailable, and I really, really liked them.  (I not just collect them, I build them and enjoy having them around as decor.)

They were all from the "Ultimate Collectors Series" produced by Lego for a short while, which were highly realistic and included a cool plaque and a stand.  I had the Death Star II sphere, Y-Wing Fighter, A-Wing Fighter, Millennium Falcon, Imperial Star Destroyer, Tie Fighter, and a few others.  Now all I have left is a Tie Interceptor, an X-Wing Fighter, and an AT-ST.

LEGO_10143_PIC.jpg36526064053_17f08489f6_z.jpg

Although those are my favorites, I still miss some of the others (that Star Destroyer was impressive!).  Each one cost me a from $200 to $600 when they were released.  Now they go for a couple of thousands each. ?

Oh, I posted a picture of my entertainment center, along with the remaining Lego spaceships and the huge TV here:

Notice how the TV, although looks cool in place, sort of hangs over the lip of the cabinet a little bit.

-dZ.

Edited by DZ-Jay
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Intelligentleman said:

Just watched your videos. That's phenomenal. The one for Shark Shark was interesting because down at the bottom where all that coral is has always looked very fuzzy on my systems and tvs. But on yours, you can clearly see the laticework of the coral and the lobster. It's almost like they're different games.

EDIT: You are good at Shark! Shark! I've never made it long enough to see the shark go full-on apex predator like that!

Thanks man!  Glad you were able to watch and get an idea of what a mod looks like, and how improved it can be.  Good luck with whatever you choose!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, IntyFanMatt said:

Thanks man!  Glad you were able to watch and get an idea of what a mod looks like, and how improved it can be.  Good luck with whatever you choose!

Which mod did you get?  Did you install it, or paid?  I did one on  one of my units years ago and I was a little disappointed.  I'm sure the quality has gone up since then.  

I too had a WEGA, a 36" unit.  I got rid of it when we remodeled the house.  It was a behemoth weighing over 250 lbs. I'm glad it's gone, but I agree.. it was a good TV for retro games.  I'll eventually look for a smaller unit.  But for now, I run everything on emulators.

3 hours ago, IMBerzerk said:

Which mod did you get?  Did you install it, or paid?  I did one on  one of my units years ago and I was a little disappointed.  I'm sure the quality has gone up since then.  

I too had a WEGA, a 36" unit.  I got rid of it when we remodeled the house.  It was a behemoth weighing over 250 lbs. I'm glad it's gone, but I agree.. it was a good TV for retro games.  I'll eventually look for a smaller unit.  But for now, I run everything on emulators.

I got lucky and bought it on eBay for $180. It was already RGB modded so it plays in full HD. Bought it over 2 years ago and it’s been one the best purchases I’ve ever made. I love it.

I know there are a few members here who do the installs for a price. I think it’s worth it!