IGNORED

What have you ACTUALLY played tracker - Modern Edition (2021)

carlsson

For my gaming time this past week it was almost all Nintendo Switch, aside from a few arcade games before breakfast here and there to help me wake up and shake off the groggies in the morning. I've really gotten back into enjoying my Nintendo Switch and put a ton of time into Alien: Isolation, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, and The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild. I also picked up 7 new games on the Switch eShop this past week, on account of them being on sale for $2 to $6 each and many of them were games I used to own physically before financial disaster struck in the summer of 2019 and I ended up having to part with a lot of my physical game collection to make ends meet.

I ended up nabbing Outlast: Bundle of Terror, Outlast II, Limbo, Inside, Stories Untold, Fox n Forests, and Horizon Chase Turbo all for about $28. I had previously owned Outlast 1 & 2, Fox n Forests, and Horizon Chase Turbo physically and I played Limbo once back in the Xbox 360 days, but Inside and Stories Untold will be brand new to me! I also got in on the pre-order for a physical copy of the Doom Classics Collection for the Switch from Limited Run Games (which has Doom, Doom II, and Doom 3 all on one cartridge) and picked up a brand new physical copy of Atari Flashback Classics for the Switch on eBay for a pretty affordable $26 after tax since I had an eBay coupon I needed to use. So, all in all a pretty good week for Switch gaming and Switch game acquisitions! I'll definitely be looking forward to diving into those eShop pickups once I finish Alien: Isolation :)

EzwLnBHVkAgPrVf.thumb.jpeg.894686c739876dd07c69ffe1c41ac069.jpeg

EzwIqsTUcAAbaL0.thumb.jpeg.17b6a5b9336cfe021a5df7932d23fce8.jpeg

Ineligible

Aliens (Arcade) - 20 minutes

Double Dragon (Arcade) - 5 minutes

Final Fight (Arcade) - 24 minutes

Mortal Kombat II (Sega Genesis) - 55 minutes

Ms. Pac-Man (Arcade) - 9 minutes

Pac-Man Plus (Arcade) - 4 minutes

Space Invaders DX (Arcade) - 20 minutes

Street Fighter II': Champion Edition (Arcade) - 62 minutes

Nintendo Switch

Alien: Isolation - 1,235 minutes

Animal Crossing: New Horizons - 685 minutes

Horizon Chase Turbo - 15 minutes

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - 525 minutes

Total Video Game Play Time This Week

2,659 minutes (44 hours 19 minutes) [2,460 minutes eligible]

Individual System Play Times This Week

Nintendo Switch: 2,460 minutes

Arcade: 144 minutes

Sega Genesis: 55 minutes

Edited by Skippy B. Coyote
  • Like 4

16 hours ago, Steven Pendleton said:

PS4
Love Live! School Idol Festival ~after school ACTIVITY~ Wai-Wai!Home Meeting!! - 273

I have no idea what this game is, but what I do know is that may be the most amusing title for a game that Carlsson has ever had to write down for the tracker's weekly statistics :lol:

• Haha 4

24 minutes ago, Skippy B. Coyote said:

I have no idea what this game is, but what I do know is that may be the most amusing title for a game that Carlsson has ever had to write down for the tracker's weekly statistics :lol:

lol I actually thought about playing Natsuiro High School recently just because of the title... that one's full title is even better!

Edited by Steven Pendleton
  • Like 2

Probably the longest named game on the tracker, too, hey?

PC

RimWorld (1347 min)

Sid Meier's Pirates! (2004) (64 min)

Oculus Quest

Beat Saber (328 min)

Finally done my RW game. Endgame was brutal once again, but I only lost 3 people, well, and most of my animals. Most attacks, I send my animals into the "barn" (a cave with a door, straw floor, and feed trough, but it works), but one group pod dropped onto my grazing field, and instead of come to attack my colonists, the went into the barn and slaughtered most of the animals. Jerks. But I got my 10 core colonists off planet. Not everyone gets to leave, because there's only so much room in the shuttle. In fact, after the credits roll, the game comes back, and you can continue playing with the colonists that were left behind.

But time to move on. I certainly will play again, there's still different starts and scenarios I want to try, but the 150-200 hours games take a while to get through. I got a hankering to play Pirates!  I was going to fire up the C64 to go old school, but I noticed I had the 2004 remake on GOG, which I'm pretty sure I played a bit on the Xbox 360 back when it came out, but I started up a game, and it's still pretty fun. I still think the original is the best version, but this one is fun. Unfortunately, my wireless keyboard doesn't have a numpad, which this game uses excessively, so I need to use my mouse, which is tough for the timing minigames. I just don't have the difficulty cranked up and it's working out alright.

Edited by Agamon
  • Like 5

Xbox One

Costume Quest 2: 29 minutes

PUBG: 110 minutes

Xbox Series X
MLB The Show 21: 1,839 minutes

iOS

Microsoft Mahjong: 23 minutes

Pop! Blitz: 23 minutes

I was hoping the MLB The Show numbers would have been a lot higher but there were some major server issues the entire week after the game officially launched on Tuesday. 

• Like 3

Week 16

Top games

1. MLB The Show 21 (Xbox Series X) - 1839 min. (#1)
2. RimWorld (PC) - 1347 min. (#2)
3. Alien: Isolation (Switch) - 1235 min.
4. Animal Crossing: New Horizons (Switch) - 685 min. (#7)
5. Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Switch) - 525 min. (#3)
6. Beat Saber (Oculus Quest) - 328 min. (#8)
7. Love Live! School Idol Festival: after school ACTIVITY - Wai-Wai!Home Meeting!!  (PS4) - 273 min. (#6)
8. Langrisser II (Switch) - 216 min.
9. Forza Horizon 3 (Xbox One) - 120 min. (#10)
9. Retro Game Challenge 2 (GameCenter CX 2) (DS) - 120 min.

Top systems

1. Switch - 2746 min. (#1)
2. Xbox Series X - 1839 min. (#2)
3. PC - 1411 min. (#4)
4. Oculus Quest - 328 min. (#8)
5. PS4 - 273 min. (#6)
6. Xbox One - 259 min. (#3)
7. DS - 155 min. (#7)
8. 3DS - 55 min.
9. iOS - 46 min. (#5)

Total 7112 minutes and 23 different games on 9 different systems.

On many fronts it is status quo from last week, with MLB The Show 21 ahead of RimWorld and likewise the Switch ahead of the Xbox Series X. Small changes can be seen further down the list, but most entries are old time favorites both in terms of individual titles and systems.

Unfortunately participation went down again, from 9 to 6 people but as always you are welcome to post late and I'll include those times for next week.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 4/26/2021 at 9:21 AM, Agamon said:

Probably the longest named game on the tracker, too, hey?

PC

RimWorld (1347 min)

Sid Meier's Pirates! (2004) (64 min)

Oculus Quest

Beat Saber (328 min)

Finally done my RW game. Endgame was brutal once again, but I only lost 3 people, well, and most of my animals. Most attacks, I send my animals into the "barn" (a cave with a door, straw floor, and feed trough, but it works), but one group pod dropped onto my grazing field, and instead of come to attack my colonists, the went into the barn and slaughtered most of the animals. Jerks. But I got my 10 core colonists off planet. Not everyone gets to leave, because there's only so much room in the shuttle. In fact, after the credits roll, the game comes back, and you can continue playing with the colonists that were left behind.

But time to move on. I certainly will play again, there's still different starts and scenarios I want to try, but the 150-200 hours games take a while to get through. I got a hankering to play Pirates!  I was going to fire up the C64 to go old school, but I noticed I had the 2004 remake on GOG, which I'm pretty sure I played a bit on the Xbox 360 back when it came out, but I started up a game, and it's still pretty fun. I still think the original is the best version, but this one is fun. Unfortunately, my wireless keyboard doesn't have a numpad, which this game uses excessively, so I need to use my mouse, which is tough for the timing minigames. I just don't have the difficulty cranked up and it's working out alright.

I still have never used the numpad more than I did when I played that game when it was new.  I remember I had to figure out how to change a setting in the bios of my laptop to get part of the keyboard to act like a numpad.

Overall, I was pleased with the changes and felt like they did a nice job updating the game.  The c64 version is still my favorite version of that game though.

• Like 2

This week I decided to Blast off and strike the evil Bydo Empire! or something. I just realized that I forgot to play the Langrisser II remake...

PS4
Love Live! School Idol Festival ~after school ACTIVITY~ Wai-Wai!Home Meeting!! - 23
R-Type Final 2 - 347

Switch
Kanda Alice mo Suiri suru. -  201
This game had the unfortunate fate of releasing on the same day that I got R-Type Final 2 a day before it was released, so I didn't play it much. Shimizu Hatsumi wrote this game and you can tell she did because she always includes these ridiculous puzzles for you to solve with very few or literally zero hints. Get it wrong and insta-bad end. Hopefully she's learned to not do stupid things like ask "Which country has the most Christians?" and have the correct answer be "Italy" for some stupid reason like I've seen her do before. As is typical with her, lots of difficult kanji and using outdated/alternate kanji that literally nobody ever uses for extremely common words, making it rather difficult to read at times. There are a few EXTREMELY familiar voices in this game, though; Abe Rika and Kouno Hiyori, who were both in Mary Skelter, appear in this game and Abe's voice REALLY stands out, especially since, despite her ridiculous range, she uses the same voice that I've heard so many damn times over the past year. As for Alice herself... she actually has the same birthday as I do, which is an interesting coincidence!
R-Type Final 2 - 993

Vita
Arcana Heart 3 LOVE MAX!!!!! - 91

PC
Arcana Heart 3 LOVEMAX SIXSTARS!!!!!! XTEND - 306

Yeah, the original LOVE MAX!!!!! is written as LOVE MAX!!!!!, but this updated version is written as LOVEMAX for some reason and they added a sixth ! to go with the SIXSTARS!!!!!!. I don't know why one has a space and the other doesn't; that's just how it is. Anyway, as I mentioned elsewhere recently, this specific game, as far as I am aware, is the single most complex fighting game that has ever been made. One of my friends who loves fighting games refuses to play it because of its complexity.
R-Type Final 2 - 173

PS2
R-Type Final - 29
Thunder Force VI - 49

WHAT THE HELL did they do to my beloved Thunder Force? This trash is NOT Thunder Force. Please don't play it and please forget that it exists.

• Like 3

I hardly played anything but Hexcite for the Game Boy Color this week, but I did keep up with:

Nintendo DS

Retro Game Challenge 2 - 90 minutes. Mostly fairly quick challenges this week. I put off a Wizman challenge for a day because the last one was such a slog, but this was fun. The whole class of “beat X levels without killing an enemy” challenges make the game a lot less enjoyable, so I wish they would stop with those.

Then I got the bright idea to set the system date to February 29, 2020, to see what a leap day challenge was. It was “kill 500 enemies both ground and air in GunDuel”. Well, the “kill 300 airborne enemies” challenge was gruelling and required all but beating the game. I don’t think I’m gonna try this one right now.

I have to say, the more difficult daily challenges would be much less burnout inducing if they started from midway through the game sometimes. I know that’s contra the NES-era “finish games in a single sitting” standard, but it IS a Nintendo DS game...

• Like 2

I've been trying to declde whether to post browser-based implementations of board, card, and/or puzzle games that can be played offline, and have no AI opponent. For instance, over the past two weeks I played:

Browser-based:

LightsOut (LogicGamesOnline version) - 40 min.

Netwalk (LogicGamesOnline version) - 25 min.

Solitaire (Google version) - 110 min.

My instinct is that Google's implementation of Solitaire might count because it involves some kind of animated manipulation of on-screen objects in an app-like context, whereas the LGO stuff feels sketchier -- though then again, Netwalk really requires a computer interface for its implementation.

Obviously playing chess online against humans doesn't count; playing chess against my Intellivision does. Solving chess problems with a browser-based interface feels like it shouldn't count, but (hypothetically) solving chess problems that came bundled with a console chess game feels like it should, somehow.

I'm at a loss!

• Like 4

5 hours ago, thegoldenband said:

I've been trying to decide whether to post browser-based implementations of board, card, and/or puzzle games that can be played offline

I don't know if it helps, but we've logged 21 minutes on Tabletop Simulator (PC) and 3436 minutes on Tabletopia (also PC, though it appears that browser based would work as well) so in that case I think your browser based gaming qualifies too. It is a little bit more of "anything goes" here than in the classic tracker, as long as it is a modern electronic device and gaming involved.

For that matter, we have 12499 minutes on the Microsoft Solitaire Collection for iOS, and it is just as much an electronic implementation of a card game without opponent (other than the random factor) as the browser version of Lights Out is.

Edited by carlsson
  • Like 3

PC

Stellaris (519 min)

Oculus Quest

Beat Saber (251 min)

So I spent most of last week both taking a day to recover from vaccine reaction, and a few days upgrading/repairing my PC, so times are quite low. I started a game of Stellaris, as there was a 3.0 update recently and a sale on DLC, so as a Lithoid race that doesn't eat food, but minerals. They're a more passive, diplomatic, spiritual race, so I think most of the wars I'll be involved in will be defensive, which is fine; it's been a while and a lot of things have changed since I last played a couple years ago.

• Like 3

Arriving a little late today on account of recovering from getting the J&J vaccine on Saturday (I did pretty much nothing other than sleep 18 hours a day and feel miserable during the rare moments I was conscious for a couple days) but I'm on the mend and feeling better tonight so here's my household's gaming times for the past week! :)

Ineligible

Castlevania (NES) - 95 minutes

Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES) - 110 minutes

Centipede (Arcade) - 20 minutes

Galaga (Arcade) - 3 minutes

Ms. Pac-Man (Arcade) - 18 minutes

OutRun (Sega Genesis) - 11 minutes

Nintendo Switch

Alien: Isolation - 120 minutes

Animal Crossing: New Horizons - 195 minutes

Doom (Classic) - 145 minutes

Doom (Classic): Syringe - 350 minutes

Horizon Chase Turbo - 135 minutes

Inside - 210 minutes

Stories Untold - 235 minutes

1,647 minutes (27 hours 27 minutes) [1,390 minutes eligible]

Nintendo Switch: 1,390 minutes

NES: 205 minutes

Arcade: 41 minutes

Sega Genesis: 11 minutes

• Like 5

Week 17

Top games

1. MLB The Show 21 (Xbox Series X) - 2206 min. (#1)
2. R-Type Final 2 (Switch) - 993 min.
3. Stellaris (PC) - 519 min.
4. Doom Classic: Syringe (Switch) - 350 min.
5. R-Type Final 2 (PS4) - 347 min.
6. Arcana Heart 3 LOVEMAX SIXSTARS!!!!!! XTEND (PC) - 306 min.
7. Beat Saber (Oculus Quest) - 251 min. (#6)
8. Stories Untold (Switch) - 235 min.
9. Inside (Switch) - 210 min.
10. Kanda Alice mo Suiri suru (Switch) - 201 min.

Top systems

1. Switch - 2584 min. (#1)
2. Xbox Series X - 2206 min. (#2)
3. PC - 998 min. (#3)
4. PS4 - 370 min. (#5)
5. Xbox One - 311 min. (#6)
6. Oculus Quest - 251 min. (#4)
7. Browser based - 175 min.
8. Vita - 91 min.
9. DS - 90 min. (#7)
10. iOS - 83 min. (#9)

Total 7237 minutes and 29 different games on 11 different systems.

Although there are four different R-Type Final games this week, the #1 spot still belongs to MLB The Show 21 for the third week in a row. On the systems list, nine different Switch games together fend off the Xbox Series X with the PC in third place.

• Like 4

My week in modern gaming:

Nintendo Switch:

Horizon Chase Turbo - EDIT: 225 minutes. wow, what a fantastic game. It’s less like the great Super Scaler games of yore than I expected - you race on closed tracks instead of on a long and/or branching path - but in terms of the sensation of speed it is pretty close. Your race opponents actually care about beating you, unlike in the Sega racers of old. The aesthetic is gorgeous and the music is really good. It’s an effortlessly playable game and got me through many late night hours of waiting for slow build/test cycles.

EDIT:

Gunlord X - 25 minutes. Really fun Turrican homage. Unfortunately the story / cutscenes don’t really live up to the game, but that doesn’t matter much.

(or should this count as Neo Geo?)

Nintendo Wii:

Wing Island - 90 minutes. I am interested in how Hudson Soft went so wrong after doing okay on the GBA. This game could be a lot of fun without the motion controls, but the maddening, unreliable motion controls make this impossible to recommend to anybody. Free flight is fine, but the missions are often ridiculously hard due to the controls. Maybe if they had done it with MotionPlus it might have been different. If only they had supported the classic controller ?

Nintendo DS:

Retro Game Challenge 2: 210 minutes. I went back to the challenges I had not completed back when I got it last October and ended up doing about two weeks worth of old challenges. Some pretty gnarly challenges among them.

Edited by jgkspsx
Added Gunlord X and another 45 minutes of Horizon Chase.
  • Like 3

I just realized I forgot to play Langrisser II again. Maybe next time. No R-Type Final, either, but its sequel is here again. Golden Week was last week, so I had 4 days off in a row and plenty of time to play games, and that's reflected here.

PS4
Love Live! School Idol Festival ~after school ACTIVITY~ Wai-Wai!Home Meeting!! - 320
R-Type Final 2 - 404

Switch
Kanda Alice mo Suiri suru. - 244

Finished. I read online somewhere that the game is about 7 hours long and it took me about 7.5 hours, so yeah, that was pretty accurate. For only being a 1500 yen game and 1000 yen on sale at launch, this game was surprisingly excellent and well worth its miniscule price. This game has some of the most beautiful CGs I've ever seen in any visual novel or any other game. I think this is largely due to the excellent use of color more than anything else, but the CGs are very nice. Getting the true ending gives you access to the CG gallery and the sound test. I really liked the music in this game, but apparently the game only has 6 music tracks. I never noticed this when I was playing, which means that whoever did the music did a damn fine job. Shimizu Hatsumi didn't have any ridiculous puzzles for me to solve, though, which is good, and I never had to guess the proper combination randomly aside from the very first one. She also mentioned on her blog that apparently there might be a sequel if the game sells well. Hopefully that happens, as I found the game to be quite pleasant and comfortable overall. I will likely be playing another game that she wrote soon, so...
R-Type (R-Type Dimensions EX) - 60
R-Type II (R-Type Dimensions EX) - 20

Yeah, so this is how I've decided to list these. They are not 100% accurate to the arcade versions, as apparently some of the hitboxes are different or something in addition to the widescreen aspect ratio, so I've listed them here separately. Additionally, R-Type II is the single most difficult game I have ever played. Irem really made the game extremely difficult.
R-Type Final 2 - 296

Yeah, don't play this version. Get the PS4 or preferably the PC version instead.

PC
Arcana Heart 3 LOVEMAX SIXSTARS!!!!!! XTEND - 118
R-Type Final 2 - 544

PS2
Thunder Force VI - 84

I played it again. It's still a miserable experience. I actually played it twice, as I unlocked an extra ship and played it with that ship as well. Using the Rynex Kai or Rynex-R or whatever you want to call it is a much better experience, as it actually plays somewhat like a real Thunder Force game. I'd still recommend not paying for this game, though, so be sure to borrow a copy from a friend if you want to play it.

Edited by Steven Pendleton
  • Like 4

I played a little handful of games a few minutes here and a few minutes there this past week, but the overwhelming majority of my gaming time for the week was devoted to Ori and the Blind Forest on the Switch. A friend gifted me physical copies of both Ori games for the Switch this week and I wasted no time diving into the first game, and then spent all of my free time for the rest of the week doing pretty much nothing other than playing it :lol: It was well worth the time investment though, and I can safely say that for me Ori and the Blind Forest is one of those rare perfect 10 out of 10 games; right up there with Ocarina of Time, the original Doom, and Alien: Isolation.

It's a darn challenging game that asks a lot of the player, but having now completed the game I can safely say that it never felt unfair or cheap in it's difficulty. The story was one of the most emotionally engaging stories I've ever encountered in a video game, the graphics were easily some of the most beautiful I've seen on the Switch (or pretty much anywhere for that matter), the musical score was fantastic, and the length and pacing of the game felt just right. There's honestly nothing bad I could say about Ori and the Blind Forest, so it's a 10/10 for me! Now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to play the sequel Ori and the Will of the Wisps! :)

1857634016_20210504164430_IMG_01032.JPG.f77e66349e87c745c4c89021f50d3ec9.thumb.JPG.32296b40ae3415fbf72a215b86e42799.JPG

Ineligible

Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PlayStation) - 189 minutes

Ms. Pac-Man (Arcade) - 7 minutes

Ms. Pac-Man (Arcade, Speed-Up Hack) - 13 minutes

Street Fighter II': Champion Edition (Arcade) - 17 minutes

Nintendo Switch

Animal Crossing: New Horizons - 15 minutes

Doom (Classic) - 145 minutes

Ori and the Blind Forest: Definitive Edition - 1,320 minutes

Ori and the Will of the Wisps - 25 minutes

Outlast: Bundle of Terror - 15 minutes

Tetris 99 - 5 minutes

1,751 minutes (29 hours 11 minutes) [1,525 minutes eligible]

Nintendo Switch: 1,525 minutes

PlayStation: 189 minutes

Arcade: 37 minutes

Edited by Skippy B. Coyote
  • Like 4

Played:

Resident Evil 7

Sniper elite 3

Jak and Daxter collection

Rebel Assault I and II (save your money or get a joystick)

Beaten:

RE7 (Normal and easy difficulties)

Sniper elite 3 (and DLC) on Cadet

Castlevania (NES)

Jak and Daxter: The Precursor Legacy (Fuck you fisherman)

Doom 2016

(Nearly) Doom Eternal

Rebel assault II (thank god for cheats)

LOTR Two Towers (PS2)

LOTR Fellowship of the rings (Xbox)

LOTR ROTK (Ps2)

DOOM (Classic)

DOOM TNT Evilution (ITYTD mode)

DOOM Plutonium (ITYTD)

DOOM 3

DOOM 3 ROE

Star Wars Episode 1 

Star Wars Battle for Naboo

Lego Star Wars TCS

COD1

CODUO

COD2

COD3

COD4

MW2

MW3

WWII

IW

AW (all achievements on xbox, veteran was a bitch to get)

Black ops (Ps3)

Black ops 2 (PC, steam sharing)

Black ops 3 (Get the xbox version, PC is crippled)

MOH 2010

MOH WF

MOHAA

MOHAAS

MOHAABT

007 Goldeneye

007 reloaded

007 Nightfire

007 World is Not Enough (PS1)

007 Tomorrow Never Dies (PS1)

Batman Arkham Series

Avatar the last Airbender (Xbox), not worth it. ignore the game, watch the series instead

Spec Ops the Line

RE3 Remake

RE2 Remake

Split Second (Highly recommend you buy it)

True Crime: NY

(If it can be counted as beaten) Def Jam Rapstar

GH3

GH2

King Kong (xbox 360)

All of these games, I own, have owned or have rented in the past/ played through steam sharing. I'm sure there are others but this should suffice for now

(tried to beat Jak 2 and 3 but quit out of frustration. 2 has annoying escort missions, the tank chase and 3 has those godforsaken rings and the gun range.)

• Like 1
  • Confused 1