IGNORED

What have you ACTUALLY played tracker - Modern Edition (2021)

carlsson

I'm kind of tired of playing text-heavy games in my not-native language. I have at least 1 visual novel preordered that I remember, so until that gets here, I might stop playing text-heavy games for a while or at least start playing stuff in English again. Well, that was the plan until I realized just now that I still have a few RPGs and other stuff that I started and never finished.

PS4
Flowers -Les quatre saisons- - 1311

"The tale of the girls who grow with a season", grammatically incorrect as that is, is over. Well, only kind of, since I now own the rest of the Vita ports, which I eventually intend to play, I have not read the short stories that are in the fanbooks and the artbooks yet, and I need to listen to the ~10 hours of drama CDs that I have not gotten to yet (yes, those things are long as hell and I'm only done with half of them), but I have all of the drama CDs now. automne = 177, hiver = 1076, and I spent an extra 58 minutes getting every ending in the four seasons mode to see if 100% completing everything in both modes might unlock the voice cast's commentary. It did not. I guess that means there is still a reason to play the PC versions, so I'm glad I did that, as well. I'll figure out which of the games is the longest later. Unless I forget. I probably will. Or maybe I'll stop caring about which one is the longest entirely.
Love Live! School Idol Festival ~after school ACTIVITY~ Wai-Wai!Home Meeting!! - 157 (estimate)
Sonic Mania - 109

PC
Flowers -Le volume sur automne- - 20
Flowers -Le volume sur hiver- - 31
Game crashed after I made the last choice in the entire game! Good thing I saved immediately before that. I wonder when they will get around to localizing this game. They said they were going to do all of them like 6 years ago, but they haven't done it yet. Not that I'd be able to buy it because of region locking, but still...
Star Wars Galactic Battlegrounds Saga - 241

I seem to have found that the enemy AI, on difficulty settings up to whatever the medium level is called, struggle to deal with fortresses and don't tend to attack at all until after the player has had more than enough time to build at least 1 and possibly 2 fortresses and fill them with troops, so it's actually pretty easy to just play defensively and sit in your base with a fortress to protect you. The AI eventually will figure out that it needs to build siege weapons, but those are easy to kill with fighters and stuff, so yeah, current strategy = sit in base, build a fortress or two, build a massive amount of AT-ATs while the enemy AI continually has all of its units commit suicide by running them into my fortress(es), and then just walk my 10~15 fully upgraded AT-ATs over to the enemy base and insta-win. Might need to turn the difficulty up.

Switch
Flowers -Les quatre saisons- - 82

I felt like going through and getting everything that I missed previously here, as well, so I did. Yay, completion or something, I suppose.

Edited by Steven Pendleton
  • Like 5

Another week of Suikoden 3...

PS2

Suikoden 3 - 1021 min (Got past boss that killed me multiple times last week and played until I lost another boss battle.  Then it was time for grinding and levleing and equipping people.  Played about 14 hours on stream, and another 3 or so off.)

• Like 4

Here are my times for this past week (July 5th through 11th, 2021) on modern systems:

Android

McDonalds Treasure Chase - 6 min.

PC (Windows):

Donkey Kong G&W Special Edition - 12 min.

This week I played some more modern games again. I'm actually not sure about the exact English name of the McDonalds game, which is the current game in their app (at least here in Austria). You play a jump'n'run game in an endless level which never stops scrolling, you just have to jump at the right place and for the right length. And this time you play as a prate though I've already seen roughly the same game with different levels and a different main character.

Then there's Donkey Kong G&W Special Edition which is a port of the Donkey Kong Double Screen Game & Watch game, but cycling through different sets of graphics. Sadly I didn't get very far in this one.

Edited by Kurt_Woloch
  • Like 5

I am pretty sure I didn’t play a single “modern” game this week.

EDIT: played one.

Switch:

-KLAUS-: 45 minutes. It’s fun, but not super special. Why do all these platformer developers feel the need to make them personal and/or have sinister references to classic literature in them? The goofiness and chattiness of the game’s main character does not seem to support the weight of a stillborn twin brother or images of text from 1984.

• Like 4

The roundup for my Modern Gaming Cavalcade of Whimsy:

Switch:

Animal Crossing: New Horizons -- 660 minutes

Diablo 3 -- 1080 minutes

Disgaea 5 Complete -- 300 minutes

Mercenaries Saga: Will of the White Lions -- 480 minutes

Mario Golf: Super Rush -- 450 minutes

Tetris 99 -- 75 minutes

XBox Series X:

Borderlands 3 -- 1080 minutes

• Like 4

On 7/6/2021 at 4:08 PM, carlsson said:

Here are the mid-season stats for the modern tracker. In the first half of 2021, we have played:

• 227,861 minutes (2020: 227,403 min; 2019: 159,690 min)
  • 347 games (2020: 235 games; 2019: 184 games)
  • 24 different systems (2020: 19 systems; 2019: 22 systems)

The individual list is headed by two new entries for the year: RimWorld and MLB The Show 21. Despite the threats of retiring PUBG, it still ticks in at third place while last year's dominant Animal Crossing: New Horizons is found further down the list. We have got a lot of Kangokutou Mary Skelter, Flowers and R-Type, all new from last year.

?

It's retired in the sense that it's no longer than only game I play. If I had my druthers, it would TRULY be retired. It's not that I dislike it (obviously) but I'd rather play other games right now. It keeps showing up as it is the best way for myself & my IRL friends to "hang out" together twice a week. (There's one guy who ONLY plays that & he keeps pushing to play it more than our agreed upon twice per week but we're fending him off for now ?).

So it should continue to show up on the tracker each week, in fewer numbers than the past.

• Like 3

Xbox Series X
MLB The Show 21: 1,087 minutes

Xbox One

Call of the Sea: 62 minutes

PUBG: 284 minutes

iOS

Pop! Blitz: 25 minutes

A little slower on MLB as I had caught up on all the new content but there's a big content drop today, so that number will likely go up. (I spent my normal MLB time watching Ted Lasso, which I'm greatly enjoying.)

Call of the Sea is interesting but I'm taking my time with that one, using it mainly for achievements needed for various Microsoft Rewards points.

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, StormSurge said:

Xbox Series X
MLB The Show 21: 1,087 minutes

Xbox One

Call of the Sea: 62 minutes

PUBG: 284 minutes

iOS

Pop! Blitz: 25 minutes

A little slower on MLB as I had caught up on all the new content but there's a big content drop today, so that number will likely go up. (I spent my normal MLB time watching Ted Lasso, which I'm greatly enjoying.)

Call of the Sea is interesting but I'm taking my time with that one, using it mainly for achievements needed for various Microsoft Rewards points.

I've seen gameplay of 'MLB The Show 21' and this old guy is just amazed at the graphics and stuff during the gameplay.  Baseball games really aren't my thing (as evidenced by all the time I've spent playing Mario Golf), but man does it look cool!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, digdugnate said:

I've seen gameplay of 'MLB The Show 21' and this old guy is just amazed at the graphics and stuff during the gameplay.  Baseball games really aren't my thing (as evidenced by all the time I've spent playing Mario Golf), but man does it look cool!

You’re not kidding! I’m old too & all of those years playing Home Run, Super Challenge Baseball, Bases Loaded, RBI, etc truly make me appreciate what The Show offers. It’s incredible. 

• Like 2

PC

Magic: the Gathering Arena (503 min)

Oculus Quest

Beat Saber (246 min)

Not much this week, but I did fire up MtG after a brief foray during its beta a couple years ago. I quickly left back then once the pay to win whales started taking over in the just for fun Standard play with their netdecks.  But the new AFR set piqued my interest, and there now seems to be a lot bigger player base, so I've been having fun with it.

RimWorld just announced a big update and new expansion coming, so I'll be back in on that BS before long, lol

Edited by Agamon
  • Like 5

A much smaller list of games from my household this week, something for which our ever appreciated and dutiful statistician Carlsson will no doubt be grateful for :lol: My overall play time was much the same as usual this week, except I stayed focused on just a handful of games this time around. I spent most of the week playing through DOOM Eternal on the Switch again (this time on Ultra Violence difficulty) but took a little time to test out a brand new NES Classic Edition controller I picked up on eBay with Contra and Super Mario Bros. 3 for the NES on the Nintendo Switch Online service. I thought the NES Classic Edition controller would be awesome for playing NES games on my Switch with the 8BitDo G-Bros adapter, but as it turned out the d-pad on the NES Classic controller is significantly more shallow than the one on an original NES controller and I kept getting false inputs with it so back in the box and up on eBay it went for slightly less than I paid for it. Ya win some ya lose some I suppose, and this time I lost. 

The only other game I played this past week was Samurai Shodown II on the Neo Geo MVSX machine. I've always just played as Galford in all the Samurai Shodown games but this week I decided to branch out a bit and try some new characters, so I spent a lot of time trying out different characters and decided I liked Ukyo and Jubei a lot; and I ended up playing through and beating the game with both of them. I've still got a soft spot for Galford and his faithful pooch Poppy, but Ukyo might be my new favorite character to play! There's not many fighting games I feel like I'll never tire of playing, but Samurai Shodown II is definitely one of them; right up there with the original Mortal Kombat and Street Fighter II: Champion Edition :)

Ineligible

Contra (NES) - 38 minutes

Samurai Shodown II (Neo Geo AES/MVS) - 230 minutes

Super Mario Bros. 3 (NES) - 123 minutes

Nintendo Switch

DOOM Eternal - 880 minutes

Total Video Game Play Time This Week

1,271 minutes (21 hours 11 minutes) [880 minutes eligible]

Individual System Play Times This Week

Nintendo Switch: 880 minutes

Neo Geo AES/MVS: 230 minutes

NES: 161 minutes

Edited by Skippy B. Coyote
  • Like 4

Week 27

Top games

1. Flowers: Les quatre saisons (PS4) - 1311 min. (#4)
2. MLB The Show 21 (Xbox Series X) - 1087 min. (#2)
3. Borderlands 3 (Xbox Series X) - 1080 min. (#1)
3. Diablo III: Eternal Collection (Switch) - 1080 min.
5. Suikoden 3 (PS2) - 1021 min. (#3)
6. DOOM Eternal (Switch) - 880 min.
7. Animal Crossing: New Horizons (Switch) - 660 min. (#6)
8. Magic the Gathering Arena (PC) - 503 min.
9. Mercenaries Saga Chronicles: Will of the White Lions (Switch) - 480 min. (#9)
10. Mario Golf: Super Rush (Switch) - 450 min. (#5)

Top systems

1. Switch - 4052 min. (#1)
2. Xbox Series X - 2167 min. (#2)
3. PS4 - 1577 min. (#5)
4. PC - 1346 min. (#4)
5. PS2 - 1021 min. (#3)
6. Xbox One - 837 min. (#6)
7. Oculus Quest - 246 min. (#8)
8. 3DS - 110 min. (#7)
9. iOS - 25 min. (#9)
10. Android Phone - 6 min.

Total 11387 minutes and 31 different games on 10 different systems, with 10 different participants.

Another strong week headed by Flowers: Les quatre saisons by a margin of 224 min over MLB The Show 21, which in its turn only is 7 minutes ahead of the shared third placed Borderlands 3 and Diablo III. On the systems side, the top duo Switch and Xbox Series X hold their positions from last week with all systems except of Vita remaining from week #26.

Edited by carlsson
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Not much to say this time. Some bad games, some good ones.

PC
Alex Kidd in Miracle World DX (demo) - 18

Yeah, don't waste your cash on this thing if you don't like the original version of the game. Nice music, though. Thankfully there is a demo. It also apparently uses the PAL version as the basis for the game for some inexplicable reason, so it actually runs in 50Hz in a 60Hz environment. Yuck...
Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing - 22
Sonic Forces - 183
Star Wars Galactic Battlegrounds Saga - 245

Vita
Kangokutou Mary Skelter - 875

20 minutes ago, I finally discovered the truth; there is no cutoff point for the true ending. Yay. This was the reason that I replayed this game. Not sure if I will continue, but I'm literally 50% done with the final dungeon, as that's where the supposed cutoff point that doesn't exist is, so I might finish the game anyway even though I really don't want to bother.

• Like 5

What a week.

Switch:

-KLAUS- - 189 minutes. Yeah, I kept on playing this one despite my griping. I got to the twist. The gameplay has picked up too. I will probably finish it.

PlayStation Vita:

TxK - 45 minutes. A fine, fine game.

Nintendo DS:

Nostalgia - 30 minutes. This is a really nice game.

Miami Law - 35 minutes… of just the super barebones poker game.

Game Boy Advance:

Karnaaj Rally - 60 minutes. This is not a hidden gem, I am sad to say. It’s a fun piece of low budget shovelware with really nice graphical design in races, but the gameplay seems pretty unbalanced and the music is pretty bad. I did appreciate the Flintstones knockoff of the first cup’s vehicle selection. The gamefeel is nice, but the limited weapons make for a very predictable race that is determined in the first half lap.

PlayStation Portable: 

Rainbow Islands Revolution: 35 minutes. I have never really quite figured out Rainbow Islands, and… I haven’t made much progress :)

• Like 4

Earlier this week I put more time into

Pokemon Ultra Moon for 3DS - 25 minutes

I've made it to the top but I think I should grind a bit more before I take on the Pokemon League.

Also 2 more games:

I think the Android/iOS versions of Sonic the Hedgehog and Sonic the Hedgehog 2 count as separate modern games because they were remade with wide screens and the Special Stages were heavily upgraded, as well as Sonic 2 getting the extra level Hidden Palace Zone added to it. Well just recently these former mobile versions were ported to PC as playable disassemblies. I played both of these fan made PC ports for these times:

Sonic the Hedgehog - (2013 mobile version fan ported to PC) - 51 minutes

Sonic the Hedgehog 2 - (2013 mobile version fan ported to PC) - 93 minutes

I guess you could either add these times to the existing entries for the mobile version, or you could create separate new entries for these. It's your project so whatever you see fit works.

Edited by TheGameCollector
  • Like 5

I bought Disgaea 6 last week so that's been the bulk of my time Modern-wise.  More time was sunk into Streets of Rage 4 as well since I was playing the "Mr. X" DLC.  :)

Switch:

Animal Crossing: New Horizons -- 360 minutes
Disgaea 5 Complete -- 180 minutes
Disgaea 6 -- 1443 minutes
Mario Golf: Super Rush -- 360 minutes
Stardew Valley -- 60 minutes
Zaccaria Pinball -- 120 minutes

Xbox Series X:

Borderlands 3 -- 360 minutes
Streets of Rage 4 -- 240 minutes

• Like 4

Not much to report from my household this week. I finished my playthrough of DOOM Eternal on Ultra Violence difficulty and, uhhh, that's pretty much it! :lol:

Nintendo Switch

DOOM Eternal - 655 minutes

Total Video Game Play Time This Week

655 minutes (10 hours 55 minutes) [655 minutes eligible]

Individual System Play Times This Week

Nintendo Switch: 655 minutes

• Like 5