IGNORED

1050 Stepper Motor got stuck

SteveB

Hi, 

after some time of neglect I started my Atari 800 XL again after Christmas. My 1050 drive did not make the familiar sound when turned on. First I thought it was the sensor, but then I found out that the stepper motor driving the head does not move anymore. When trying to turn it nothing happens, it is just stuck.

Did anybody recover from this? I see two options. I could try to get some penetrating oil inside of the stepper motor or use some brute force. Or a combination of both. I have plenty of time to wait for the oil to declamp whatever is in there.

It can't get more broken. Does anybody know of a replacement motor? I just found a replacement for the main motor on the net so far. Or I could buy a broken 1050 where the mechanics are okay and the electronic died.

Any helpful advise would be appreciated as I am a total hardware noob.

Thank you

Steve

Edited by SteveB

I've had 1050 steppers that were seized when I got the drive - and use fat plyers to manually turn the stepper to "break it free" - though thats interesting if you were using yours seemingly OK beforehand?

You could try that first to see if you can get it to move at all before trying to find a replacement motor...

in the 1050 version of sams computerfacts there is info to do a resistance test on the stepper motor windings

Atari_1050_Disk_Drive_Sams_Computerfacts_Technical_Service.pdfAtari_1050_Disk_Drive_Sams_Computerfacts_Technical_Service.pdf

the diagram is on page 17 of the attached