IGNORED

rubyQ! (no more on store)

Silvio Mogno

12 hours ago, knievel1 said:

I got on a retro kick & played every version I could of Q-Bert I could find.

Mame, Coleco, Intellivision, Playstation, even that weird MegaQ-bert game. 

I think this version may be the best. 

About to roll it over, looking forward to the next release. 

Screen Shot 2021-07-28 at 6.08.57 PM.png

Wow, thank you!

I didn't think a such big score could be reached!  Really impressed!

New demo version is coming soon!

Edited by Silvio Mogno
  • Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

FRIDAY AUGUST 20 @ 12PM PT / 3PM ET

EXCLUSIVE FIRST LOOK AT rubyQ!

20210819-rubyQ.thumb.jpg.0dc039036d6b8dc6c763e6cf0cc08f2f.jpg

Join us LIVE Friday Aug 20 on the ZeroPage Homebrew Twitch livestream

We have an EXCLUSIVE new look at the almost completed rubyQ for the Atari 2600 from @Silvio Mogno on Friday's ZPH! This incredibly polished port for the VCS not only brings home all the action of this favourite 1982 arcade classic, he takes it way further with alternate gameplay modes and all new enemies and challenges!

Silvio has really knocked it out of the park with this all new 2600 port of Q*Bert so you don't want to miss this!

Game: rubyQ (Exclusive WIP Update) (LIVE @ 12PM PT | 3PM ET | 7PM GMT)

(SET VIDEO TO 1080P60 FOR FULL QUALITY)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Hi,

Here's attached the demo version of rubyQ, as shown on ZPH. As a demo, there are some limitations:

• one player only game
  • no Turbo mode
  • game plays only first two levels, after rolls back to level 1

I figured out how to solve the graphical glitches viewed on ZPH show. I think they are fixed. Let me know if they are yet present (and report any other bug).

Now some (not so accurate instructions).

Gameplay:

Differently from his noble cousin, rubyQ has a tougher life because his blocky pyramid is full of hazards:

• red balls: fall from top of pyramid and go down randomly hoping to hurt rubyQ
  • pink ball: like red balls, but when comes to last pyramid row becomes Sssnake!
  • Sssnake: always trying to catch rubyQ. It can be defeated with a perfect timed jump on a disc, not too early because it will not be deceived and will go waiting rubyQ on pyramid top
  • Plonky: falls from top of pyramid and goes down randomly clearing cubes. It can be catched by rubyQ.
  • Flashing Plonky (only on funky and mad modes): like his brother, but changed cubes on a locked color that can be only cleared by Sssnake jumping on them
  • Elfie, Gobblie: on 3th and 4th screen of each level they jump from left and right side of pyramid making rubyQ life even worse
  • Icy (only on funky and mad modes): falls from top of pyramid and goes down randomly icing cubes. Iced cubes remain cold for a while before turning in initial state. If rubyQ jumps over an iced cube he becomes cold and moved slower for a while. Icy can be catched by rubyQ.
  • Stormy (only on mad mode): falls from top of pyramid and goes down randomly electrifying cubes. Electrified cubes remain "hot" for a while before turning in initial state. If rubyQ jumps over an electrified cube he becomes confused and joystick control will be reversed! But you can attract Ssnake on an electrified cube to make him confused and jumping in a random mode, possibly falling from pyramid
  • discs: a way to escape from hazards, particularly from Sssnake. But in funky mode they change one position up a time every some seconds. And in mad mode they change position randomly. Position change is imminent when discs start flashing
  • teleporting cubes (only in mad mode): placed randomly on pyramid can be hazards or very smart escape ways. If rubyQ or any other enemy jumps on a teleporting cubes it will be teleported on another random teleporting cube. A couple of teleporting cubes (the entering one and the exiting one) can be cleared only by rubyQ. On level 1 there is only a couple of teleporting cubes but every level a new couple is added

The only good thing that can be happen to rubyQ is hitting a green ball: a limited time bonus starts so rubyQ can freely jump on cubes without hit or being hit from an enemy. But it still can fall from pyramid!

After clearing a screen you will be rewarded with a bonus score, depending on how fast you did the job and on how many discs your left.

In funky and mad mode every 4 screens there is a 20 seconds bonus screen with multiple Plonky falling from top: you can try catching them or go to color the pyramid. Beware the pyramid is all black so dont' fall down!

Don't forget to position your CX-40 joystick with fire button up!

Two players mode (not in demo version):

You can play with a friend trying to go for harder levels. Screen end bonus score goes to who colored last cube.

Turbo difficulty (not in demo version):

If you are a videogame expert you can play the game at maximum speed. Very addicting.

Graphics modes:

If you don't like Interlaced mode because the flickering you can choose Classic Mode with zero flicker or Black mode with a cube side shadowed (this mode experienced graphical glitches on ZPH show).

Pause:

Press joystick fire button to put game on pause, press another time to resume. So if you cat claims for food you don't have to loose your world hiscore play.

rubyQ_demo_08_22_2021.bin

Scoring:

• Changing cube color: 25 points
  • Jumping in a warp cube: 50 points
  • Making Sssnake falling: 500 points
  • Hitting green ball: 100 points
  • Hitting Plonky: 300 points
  • Bonus score after each screen: from 1000 to 0 points, depending on how fast your did the task plus 250 points for each disc left

I hope you'll enjoy!

Silvio Mogno

• Like 13

Wow - I’m really amazed! The new demo features much more and has great variation of gameplay. Controls are perfect and i really like Stormy and the idea of teleporters. ?

What might be adjusted (don’t know if possible…):

- the pyramid as a whole could be bit higher (the last row touches the ground)

- rubyQ is (a little bit) too small for my taste (i compared with the arcade version and there he has let’s say 1/2 to 2/3 the height of a cube)

- changing back flashing cubes is sometimes frustrating and time consuming (waiting for Sssnake and trying to „guide“ him over flashing cubes). Maybe after some time it automatically can change back?

With a proper PAL version this one is already an instant buy - I’m curious about the artwork ?

Edited by Bomberman94
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Bomberman94 said:

Wow - I’m really amazed! The new demo features much more and has great variation of gameplay. Controls are perfect and i really like Stormy and the idea of teleporters. ?

What might be adjusted (don’t know if possible…):

- the pyramid as a whole could be bit higher (the last row touches the ground)

- rubyQ is (a little bit) too small for my taste (i compared with the arcade version and there he has let’s say 1/2 to 2/3 the height of a cube)

- changing back flashing cubes is sometimes frustrating and time consuming (waiting for Sssnake and trying to „guide“ him over flashing cubes). Maybe after some time it automatically can change back?

With a proper PAL version this one is already an instant buy - I’m curious about the artwork ?

Thanks for your appreciation!

About your suggestions:

- I'll try to check if is possible but I'm not so sure. I'll have to move up the whole screen hoping not doing some mess

- you are right but the alternative could be an owl looking rubyQ like in the original VCS game? Personally I prefer a tiny piglet looking rubyQ ?

- this is a feature copied from Faster Harder More Challenging Q*Bert. Waiting for Sssnake is not infinite tough, because every 3 different enemies or less you have a pink ball dropping

The PAL version is planned, so I will view correct colors on my TV too? so don't be afraid!

Thanks again,

Silvio Mogno

• Like 3

:-oWow:-o Just tried the latest bin and it is amazing! Love the "Have you played Atari Today" into screen, the Title/Selection screen and of course the smooth gameplay.  My favorite setting is the Scanline GFX.  Like how JUMP starts the game and the fire button pauses the game. 

Absolutely loving it!  Thank you.?  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

The demo is very impressive. I played it via my Harmony Encore the other day.

I had one issue come up, however.

Once, after I jumped on one of the platforms that takes you to the top of a level, the snake immediately changed course and followed me to the top of the level instead of proceeding to the location I jumped from. He killed me immediately after I landed. I've not had that happen in any of the other Q*bert games I own.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, spspspsp said:

The demo is very impressive. I played it via my Harmony Encore the other day.

I had one issue come up, however.

Once, after I jumped on one of the platforms that takes you to the top of a level, the snake immediately changed course and followed me to the top of the level instead of proceeding to the location I jumped from. He killed me immediately after I landed. I've not had that happen in any of the other Q*bert games I own.

Actually, re-reading the post with the demo binary, I see this is a change from Q*bert. I'll just have to be more careful with my jumps.:)

• Like 1

I know this is „just a demo“ (but already better than anything comparable on the 2600…) - but curious if it is possible in later levels that an already changed color (to the „right“ value) could be changed to the wrong color back when hopping on it again? ? If I remember right that could happen in the original version - this requires a good strategy in later levels ?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bomberman94 said:

I know this is „just a demo“ (but already better than anything comparable on the 2600…) - but curious if it is possible in later levels that an already changed color (to the „right“ value) could be changed to the wrong color back when hopping on it again? ? If I remember right that could happen in the original version - this requires a good strategy in later levels ?

In next levels it works as you expected: in level 3 you have one step to final color and one step to going back to initial color; in level 3 you have two steps to final color but one step more get you back to pre-final color, and so on.

When I'll have finished the game (hoping soon?) I'll post accurate instructions.

Edited by Silvio Mogno
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

rubyQ is in nomination on Atari Homebrew Awards!

2104340203_Atari2600BestWIPHomebrew(Port).thumb.png.d0470c8e5abb0945ce4f8307f7aba694.png.f3053e770b2de01ebc044d1338fc6986.png

Many thanks to @Bomberman94 and @johnnywc for their great testing and advices to improve the game.

Please vote (not necessarly my game ?), there's plenty of great great games to promote!

Game is on finishing line, news soon!

Edited by Silvio Mogno
  • Like 7

34 minutes ago, Silvio Mogno said:

2104340203_Atari2600BestWIPHomebrew(Port).thumb.png.d0470c8e5abb0945ce4f8307f7aba694.png.f3053e770b2de01ebc044d1338fc6986.png

Many thanks to @Bomberman94 and @johnnywc for their great testing and advices to improve the game.

Congratulations Silvio on the nomination and you're welcome for the testing, it was my pleasure. :)  This is a great game and I'm looking forward to picking it up once it's released! :thumbsup: 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Silvio Mogno said:

Please vote (not necessarly my game ?), there's plenty of great great games to promote!

Game is on finishing line, news soon!

It was a great honor for me to be a tester for your game ?. As a big fan of Q-bert it was the best thing that could happen to me ?

• Thanks 1