Jump to content
tschak909

CONFIG Improvements?

Recommended Posts

Hey guys,

 

What can be done better in CONFIG? I have spent an unbelievable amount of time trying to make a good user interface out of what is available (the keyboard, and the joystick), but I know some people have been hitting snags or things that don't feel right. What can be done better?

 

WIN_20210106_11_28_08_Pro.thumb.jpg.b38f89b6582ed6cf65c3a625d0a43b26.jpg

 

-Thom

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

While browsing the directory tree of a server, you can hit <Delete> to back to the previous level.  I keep expecting <Delete> at the top level of the hiearchy to take me back to the home screen, but it doesn't.

 

And while browsing long lists (like the Holmes archive for example), it's very tedious to sequentially step through the list one page at a time, especially if you're looking for a file near the end of the alphabet.  Some form of pagination controls like web pages routinely use would be welcome.

 

Edited by FifthPlayer
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I mentioned this in another post.  But I would love to see the [...] added to the file navigation so that you can navigate to the parent directory when using a joystick.

Edited by Gibstov
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, FifthPlayer said:

While browsing the directory tree of a server, you can hit <Delete> to back to the previous level.  I keep expecting <Delete> at the top level of the hiearchy to take me back to the home screen, but it doesn't.

 

And while browsing long lists (like the Holmes archive for example), it's very tedious to sequentially step through the list one page at a time, especially if you're looking for a file near the end of the alphabet.  Some form of pagination controls like web pages routinely use would be welcome.

 

The way I had hoped to deal with this, was with the Filter command. maybe a 'J'ump followed by a letter to move to files starting with...but that then goes inconsistent when used in conjunction with filter.

 

-Thom

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd like a single key command (or maybe CTRL+key to help prevent accidents) that clears all the loaded drive slots, as opposed to hitting TAB, then clearing them one by one. 

 

As for navigating long lists, perhaps instead of only having access to filters (which is useful if you know the name or part of the name you're looking for), you could use something like CTRL+letter to jump immediately in the list to files starting with that letter? Just spitballing here. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, DrVenkman said:

I'd like a single key command (or maybe CTRL+key to help prevent accidents) that clears all the loaded drive slots, as opposed to hitting TAB, then clearing them one by one. 

 

As for navigating long lists, perhaps instead of only having access to filters (which is useful if you know the name or part of the name you're looking for), you could use something like CTRL+letter to jump immediately in the list to files starting with that letter? Just spitballing here. 

Both excellent ideas. On my todo list.

 

Edited by tschak909
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does CONFIG need to be split into NETCONFIG and DRVCFIG?  One to select and connect to a spcific WiFi network; the second to set the drive mappings?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

basic off option maybe? Our "option" keys would be very grateful to you, knowing they do not need to be (o)pressed so much during mount and boot sequence.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/6/2021 at 5:58 PM, DrVenkman said:

I'd like a single key command (or maybe CTRL+key to help prevent accidents) that clears all the loaded drive slots, as opposed to hitting TAB, then clearing them one by one. 

 

As for navigating long lists, perhaps instead of only having access to filters (which is useful if you know the name or part of the name you're looking for), you could use something like CTRL+letter to jump immediately in the list to files starting with that letter? Just spitballing here. 

Clear All device slots implemented as SHIFT-< (clear is printed on this key), CTRL-< also does it. now I just need to find screen real estate to mention it. :)

 

https://github.com/FujiNetWIFI/fujinet-config/issues/26

 

-Thom

 

Edited by tschak909

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, tschak909 said:

I just need to find screen real estate to mention it.

How about a VBXE-specific release with 80 chars per line? 🤣

After all, somebody must start developing software for it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How about using the arrow keys to navigate the file structure? I think is the most common way of doing it. But probably it is a good reason why you chose  delete and return instead of left and right arrow keys... Actually, maybe both can live in harmony.

And I agree with DrVenkman regarding some way to trigger a "search as you type" kind of feature. Similar to file commanders or similar to the windows key function in Windows: you click and then start typing and results are shown and filtered as you type. Then maybe move thru the list with arrows keys and then "Return". To improve speed the search could be restricted by the starting of the filename, and use the already great filter functionality for searching inside or in any part of the filename.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, tschak909 said:

Clear All device slots implemented as SHIFT-< (clear is printed on this key), CTRL-< also does it. now I just need to find screen real estate to mention it. :)

 

I suggest the same solution you used in PLATOTerm: a popup help screen triggered by one of the console keys (and ideally the dedicated HELP key on XL/XE machines).

 

This probably isn't the right place to mention it, but PLATOTerm currently makes no use of the dedicated XL/XE HELP key. It could easily serve as an alias for the PLATO Help key, which would be a nice touch.

Edited by FifthPlayer
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, FifthPlayer said:

I suggest the same solution you used in PLATOTerm: a popup help screen triggered by one of the console keys (and ideally the dedicated HELP key on XL/XE machines).

 

This probably isn't the right place to mention it, but PLATOTerm currently makes no use of the dedicated XL/XE HELP key. It could easily serve as an alias for the PLATO Help key, which would be a nice touch.

I deliberately do not like hidden things.

Nor do I think using the HELP key is beneficial, as not all machines have it (nor an equivalent on those that don't).

 

-Thom

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, tschak909 said:

I deliberately do not like hidden things.

Nor do I think using the HELP key is beneficial, as not all machines have it (nor an equivalent on those that don't).

 

-Thom

In CONFIG, you can replace all the text currently at the bottom of the screen with a small "Press START for help".  In fact you could get back a line of text on that screen which could be used for other purposes.

 

Concerning PlatoTerm, I'm not advocating removing any functionality, simply adding the HELP key (on systems that have it) as an alias for CTRL-H.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been racking my brains on how to implement "jumping" given how the file directory comes to us in the first place.

 

The thing you all have to understand is that all the usual tricks that you can do when you have a lot more memory (such as buffering the whole directory into memory) can't be done here, so it's not like, you just "jump" to the point in the array where you start displaying.

 

I can filter, because I can re-do the directory query against a pattern, so this was considered an okay compromise.

 

I'll add left arrow and right arrow for up-dir and select respectively.

 

-Thom

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just a caution: in AVGCart left and right arrows (without control) are used for moving to the next page (instead of < and >). So that is another possibility, use arrows for page skip,  and delete/return for up/down directory.

It is just that now I am not so sure that arrows will not confused people using other systems.

Comments?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Speaking of multicarts, I would like an option to disable key clicks, like AVGCart or Side 3.

 

But I think key clicks should be disabled/enabled in web config, not config.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Philsan said:

Speaking of multicarts, I would like an option to disable key clicks, like AVGCart or Side 3.

 

But I think key clicks should be disabled/enabled in web config, not config.

I'll disable keyclicks by default, if anyone is bothered, then I will make it an option.

-Thom

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Kyle22 said:

Sorry to trouble you, but I like clicks.

Will there be a toggle?

 

I guess there will be now. :)

-Thom

 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the CONFIG tool, it works as expected. I like the key info at the bottom of the CONFIG screens. Very helpful for beginners!

 

I often want to select a drive to boot. But the Disk Rotate Button seems not to work in CONFIG (nothing happens when pressing it). So I must boot D1: (via OPTION), then press the disk rotate button, then reboot. I see the following possibilities to add this function:
- Disk Rotate Button works in CONFIG
- Add a key press, which does the same as the Disk Rotate Button. This can be indicated on the screen by e.g. an asterisk between the host and drive number in the drive slots list.

- Add a key press to rotate the displayed ATR/XEX filespecs as Altirra (Disk.RotateNext function) and other SIO2xx devices.

- Add a key press to swap the selected entry with D1:

I would prefer one of the last two options.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, StefanD said:

Thanks for the CONFIG tool, it works as expected. I like the key info at the bottom of the CONFIG screens. Very helpful for beginners!

 

I often want to select a drive to boot. But the Disk Rotate Button seems not to work in CONFIG (nothing happens when pressing it). So I must boot D1: (via OPTION), then press the disk rotate button, then reboot. I see the following possibilities to add this function:
- Disk Rotate Button works in CONFIG
- Add a key press, which does the same as the Disk Rotate Button. This can be indicated on the screen by e.g. an asterisk between the host and drive number in the drive slots list.

- Add a key press to rotate the displayed ATR/XEX filespecs as Altirra (Disk.RotateNext function) and other SIO2xx devices.

- Add a key press to swap the selected entry with D1:

I would prefer one of the last two options.

Multiple people have asked, so will look into doing this. :)

-Thom

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...