IGNORED

I need a VBXE primer

bfollowell

OK, I've been trying to get my VBXE setup and running correctly and I'm not ashamed to say that I'm a little clueless. The manual is more of an installation manual and little more. I can't seem to find any information on how to  astually use the VBXE. For example, I've seen videos of the VBXE running in 64 and 80 column modes under SDX on a U1MB machine, but I have no idea how to set this up and can't really seem to find any documentation anywhere that describes how to do this. I'm assuming there are drivers required but, again, there's no explanation of this or how to set things up.

Just plugging it in and using it as a normal video output device it works. I just can't seem to use any of the added features like 64 and 80 column mode.

Is there a manual or other documentation that describes how to actually use this thing?

Thanks!

80 column mode productivity is only possible by outside software enhancements, ie drivers and/or specific software that's VBXE aware.

AFAIK nobody has produced a Rom based OS that is VBXE aware.

SpartaDos - unsure if any of the Rom based ones have VBXE software or drivers included (entirely possible some might).

For programming, the manual included is sufficient.  The firmware update package will also have example software including source code.

Some people have created webpages with demo software and lists of software that utilize VBXE.

@bfollowell The drivers are available on the SDX Toolkit disk, there is a "screen drivers" section in it. The description of basic usage is in the SDX User's Manual. For the VBXE, to enable 80-columns, you need S_VBXE.SYS driver as basic mode manager, plus CON.SYS as the 80-column E: driver. You load the latter on top of the former, then type "CON 80" at the DOS prompt and press Return.

Edited by drac030
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, bfollowell said:

Well, there you go. It's in the SDX manual! It never occurred to me to look there.

Thanks drac030!

I use the SDX 64 and 80 column output without the need for a VBXE, with an upgraded S-video out or UAV/Sophia 2/etc. it's already quite clear and legible, and very useful on my color monitors. I'm quite happy with the results of the software drivers or for The Last Word with it's 80 column software driver and so I've felt no need for hardware 80 columns like Bit-3 or XEP80, or even a new hardware 80 column PBI device like was just suggested in a new thread that was just posted. But of course if you already have a VBXE then you might as well use it!

Edited by Gunstar

11 minutes ago, Gunstar said:

I'm quite happy with the results of the software drivers or for The Last Word with it's 80 column software driver and so I've felt no need for hardware 80 columns like Bit-3 or XEP80,

I was too initially, but with true hardware 80 column mode, it’s so much better.

28A12CED-F379-4B56-9BF5-08F036D7AE0A.thumb.jpeg.9ff13ee077e68b2fafb81d755390f274.jpeg

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Gunstar said:

@DrVenkman Is that VBXE 80 column?

Yeah - the difference between VBXE's true 80 col mode and the software 80 column font is incredible.  VBXE gives true 640 pixel resolution so we get a proper 8X8 font, not the 3*5 when cramming everything in 320 pixel mode.  The 80 column mode is also full colour, and text and background cells can be different.

@Gunstar - here's a little video of some proof of concept code for a project I'm doing:

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Stephen said:

Yeah - the difference between VBXE's true 80 col mode and the software 80 column font is incredible.  VBXE gives true 640 pixel resolution so we get a proper 8X8 font, not the 3*5 when cramming everything in 320 pixel mode.  The 80 column mode is also full colour, and text and background cells can be different.

It definitely looks good, for sure, and I may get a VBXE eventually, but it's 80 columns still isn't the reason I'd get one if I do, I want it more for doing art with the graphic modes. But I don't think anyone has written a graphic art program for it yet (if I'm wrong point me to it). If I do get one I'll use it's 80 columns too, but I'm happy enough with the software 80-column that it still isn't a priority to me for getting a VBXE.

I've got a Sophia 2 on the way for my 800, and a 1080S to go RGB myself. So screen image quality will be even better than my current S-video out to Ambery Video2VGA converter. I also have an RGB2VGA upscaler/converter and CRT VGA to use too, for when I upgrade my 1200XL to either VBXE or Sophia 2. I'll definitely be getting a VBXE for my future 1088XEL, so I may just stick with Sophia 2 for my original equipment. I highly recommend my Ambery RGB2VGA if you don't have an RGB CRT monitor, it works great with both LCD and CRT VGA monitors. Below is my Jaguar connected  to the converter and out to VGA on my LCD TV and, of course, my 800 out to a VGA converter and LCD TV.

20210108_131340_HDR.jpg

20210108_132502.jpg

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, Gunstar said:

I've got a Sophia 2 on the way for my 800, and a 1080S to go RGB myself. So screen image quality will be even better than my current S-video out to Ambery Video2VGA converter. I also have an RGB2VGA upscaler/converter and CRT VGA to use too, for when I upgrade my 1200XL to either VBXE or Sophia 2. I'll definitely be getting a VBXE for my future 1088XEL, so I may just stick with Sophia 2 for my original equipment. I highly recommend my Ambery RGB2VGA if you don't have an RGB CRT monitor, it works great with both LCD and CRT VGA monitors. Below is my Jaguar connected  to the converter and out to VGA on my LCD TV and, of course, my 800 out to a VGA converter and LCD TV.

That does look pretty good for a software only 80-column display. Not nearly as good as the VBXE, but perfectly readable, and a whole heck of a lot cheaper!

Thanks for sharing the images.

• Like 1

I've been tinkering with Altirra as well. I want to setup a system in there that will more or less emulate my 1088XEL setup. Setting up the VBXE and CF3 hard disk is possible, but hasn't been the most intuitive of projects, at least for me. Once I get it going well, I think I'm going to go back through the process step-by-step and put together a procedure for setting this up in Altirra, for others that may be interested.

I look forward to getting everything up and working well in my 1088XEL soon as well.

I can see there's a lot I need to learn about SDX. Thanks for the direction!

• Like 1