IGNORED

Infinity Software for the Atari 8-bit at '85 CES

Allan

Never heard of Infinity.  Did the software get released or demoed (outside this event) even?  Sounded like a really cool package, especially for $50, 1/3rd the price of the $150 Mac software.  Odd though - I never ran across a 4MHz Mac.

Wow, I would have instantly bought Infinity with my 130XE when I bought it in '85, but I never heard of or seen it ever...I'd still like it today. I'm surprised this stayed unknown and apparently lost for so long! Great find in this video @allen.

I read the article linked through the thread linked above. I really wonder what happened...it looks like they had the software ready, but I've never heard of it or Matrix Software...or GAROFALO. A mystery that I'd like solved...well just finding the 8-bit Infinity software would be enough for me.

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 1

Was not just a demo, this was completed but never made it out of Atari. Some beta's were circulated to get reaction and see if there would be any feedback on what to change if anything, without having it pirated or leaked. As per usual, marketing and the powers that be d*cked around til nothing happened. Let's not forget the ST was in the wings, and somebody had a worry...

Edited by _The Doctor__

Unsurprisingly, there was some skepticism about the product at the time.  Here's an excerpt from the Atari Scuttlebits column by Bob Kelly (Current Notes, June 1985, page 7):

5. Matrix Software: The Infinity integrated software 
series has received significant attention - notably from 
Antic and CompuServe. Let me quote from the April issue 
of Antic: 

“The undisputable star of Atari’s new software is 
Infinity, a second-generation integrated program that’s more 
powerful than Lotus 1-2-3. Yet it will sell at only 
$49.95 for XEs and about $70 for the STs... Admittedly, 
all this is a bit hard to believe about software 
that can operate with as little as 64K memory. A developer 
of the program told Antic that Infinity was able to 
pack in so many advanced features by “optimizing” the 
assembly language compilation.” 

This article, as well as several others, left the 
impression that the software was ready to go and introduction 
awaited only the hardware. I decided to call Matrix 
Software and ask them directly about their product. 

I tried to find the telephone number. Ma Bell’s 
directory assistance informed me that there was no listing 
for Matrix Software in Cambridge, Mass. I was stunned 
(OK, maybe just surprised). I had the impression that 
Matrix Software was a well established outfit. Other people 
were contacted. Some sources stated that the Infinity 
Series may end up being vaporware. Others assured me that 
Infinity does exist but the progress reported on it’s 
integrated software package has been exaggerated. 

It is difficult to evaluate the situation given the 
information I have at hand. However, I can respond to 
Antic and its misleading report by saying, “Yes, it is hard 
to believe since I can’t find the place these guys optimize 
their infinities at”. 

• Like 3

I didn't realize this at the time, but there is a third video from the same account on Rumble that shows more of the Infinity software. 

https://rumble.com/vclpsv-1985-winter-consumer-electronics-show-part-3.html

I was laughing watching it because of what they called the different modules of the program. Warning. Don't be sipping your favorite beverage when you see it. :)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

at around 13:00 or so you see it in action, he demonstrated using a 65XE utilizing quick smaller texts and examples... on the 130XE it handles larger files and more open apps... multitasking did work but I don't recall if it was preemptive (don't think so). I wonder if this all sits one of those large washing machine drives of Curt's. Some needs to track down the calibration packs to get those suckers back up and running. If the community could do it, I'd wish for a Curt V memorial Atari museum. I know he helped the vintage fairs and museums out, but I think the man deserves to be recognized for all he did with one in his name.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Allan said:

I didn't realize this at the time, but there is a third video from the same account on Rumble that shows more of the Infinity software. 

https://rumble.com/vclpsv-1985-winter-consumer-electronics-show-part-3.html

I was laughing watching it because of what they called the different modules of the program. Warning. Don't be sipping your favorite beverage when you see it. :)

Now I know where Steve Jobs got the idea for the “i” in iPod, iPhone, iMac etc. 

He saw iWord, iCalc, iGraph, iComm and iFile:-)

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, _The Doctor__ said:

at around 13:00 or so you see it in action, he demonstrated using a 65XE utilizing quick smaller texts and examples... on the 130XE it handles larger files and more open apps... multitasking did work but I don't recall if it was preemptive (don't think so). I wonder if this all sits one of those large washing machine drives of Curt's. Some needs to track down the calibration packs to get those suckers back up and running. If the community could do it, I'd wish for a Curt V memorial Atari museum. I know he helped the vintage fairs and museums out, but I think the man deserves to be recognized for all he did with one in his name.

I don't think so. I think Atari Corp. had moved away from using them by that time. I think Curt had one un-released program that Atari was possible going to release from another company and it was just saved on 5 1/4 disks. 

• 11 months later...

Olivia Wong, vice president of research and development. 24 years old in 1985

Fatima Mahdi, vice president of marketing, is 22 in 1985

Vincent Garofalo, 25 in 1985...

19 or so more employees...

and a parent company who Vincents dad held a high position in...

So are we talking about Vincent or dad, as reporting isn't always the best when we read...

Matrix Software`s parent company being Matrix-Systems Group.

Garofalo worked there as a programmer and consultant.

In a couple of years Garofalo became president, and when he had an idea to sell software to the public, he spun off Matrix Software and ran that, too.

lots of chances to find folks that may have something... they seemed very proud of their work and it's crazy to think it's not hanging out somewhere...

10 months of work and they hand delivered stuff along with back ups. we have the interim and the show as well as demo software that was distributed and the follow up. I just have to believe it's going to turn up either by research and contact or another oh crap look what I found or had stored all of these years. Fertile ground to toil around in any case.

• Like 2