IGNORED

is the trackball worth it?

RangerG

Just wondering if you all think it is worth it to get a track-ball for the 5200. Centipede and Missile Command aren't among my top favorites, but I do play them. However, I use a Wico stick and both games play great; is it that much better with a trackball? I guess a trackball does look cool and people would probably enjoy looking at it and remembering the arcade days.

Cafeman hit the nail on the head. The 5200 trackball is an awesome add-on... But can only be used on a couple games . Reminds me of Colecovisions Trackball, Driving Controler, and Super Controlers.... Decent quality but way under-used.

I'm surprised I'm saying this, but if you don't like Missile Command or Centipede, then don't get the trak ball.

I bought a brand new one in its box from Ebay.

It is a treat to play Centipede and Missile Command using this controller!

The Atari had another VERY neat add-on....it came with Space Dungeon (I could care less about this game), and Robotron.

Using it with Robotron has the same effect the trak ball has for Centipede and Missile Command. It allows you to come as close as possible to the way the games were played in the arcade-with two controllers hooking into it.

Myself, I enjoy Centipede MORE for the Atari 5200, than even the arcade. Missile Command actually is kinda nice having only one missile silo, rather than three (my opinion). Too much to keep track of with three....tho long range shots are fun in the arcade. Using a far silo firing all the way across the screen to barely save a city.

But some people don't like these games for whatever reason.

Trak ball plays decently with Super Breakout. It is a toss up, as I like the joystick in this case.

I actually think the stock analog stick is better for missle command....

However Centipede with the Trakball is one of my favorite games of all time. They did a wonderful job programming that game to use the trakball correctly. 5200+Trakball+Centipede has to be one of my top 5 things to play of all time.

Charlie

Extactly, thats why I dont think the Trakball is any good for it. In a panic i tend to realy spin the ball in a direction and almost always over shoot where I wanted to stop. It's been too many years since I played the arcade missle command, but if i remember, I don't think the trakball worked the same in the arcade.

Charlie

I owned the trackball and I think I used it only several times. The funny thing is, I preferred to play Super Breakout with the trackball while I opted to go with the joystick for games like Centipede and Missile Command! Why I have no idea, but Super Breakout just felt more responsive with the trackball I suppose

Greatest add on for the system.

I just sold my Missile Command upright at the PC3, and I like the 5200 version better than the real one. The bigger ball in the Arcade does not let you overshoot, but does take some real skill to master the rolling. The 5200 is responsive, but gives an arcade feel. Not like the coleco joke of a trackball (spent years looking for it, minutes playing it, and a lifetime sorry I bothered!).

Ever tried playing Pole Position with the trackball? What a mess! I wish Kaboom supported the trackball.

Cassidy

• 5 years later...
Does the trackball work with millipede? I don't feel like dragging my trackball out at the moment.

Chris

Yes it does, and it's better with the Trak-Ball. So's Galaxian. And the Trak-Ball buttons never corrode and stop working!

I have a track ball, but it is not working. Any suggestion on what needs to be done to fix track balls up? Cleaning ect?

This may sound stupid, but make sure your other controls work. I once thought I had a bad trackball, but it turned out that the controller port had gone bad on the console--I was so used to controllers going bad that I had just assumed it was the trackball!

You may want to use a separate thread for that question.

In other words.... you don't know. That's cool.

Anyone else?

Anyone else?

Well, your question is off-topic from the OP.

But anyhow, phaxda has some good advice. Also, listen closely to any noises when you spin the ball. You may want to take it apart and make sure it's all intact. Good luck though as many of the 5200 games play best with a Trakball.

Anyone else?

You can take it apart, and put it back together very easily, it's nothing like the regular controllers. I cleaned mine really well when I first got it, and I also put some graphite powder on the wheels. Made the ball look like crap, but it flows really great now.

As far as the usage, true it's only good for a few games, but for example Centipede alone makes it worthwhile. There's nothing else like Centipede on the 5200 with the trackball. Bar none the closest to the arcade experience you'll get. As was mentioned it's also pretty good with Galaxian, and Missile Command as well.

When I have company and show off my collection, 5200 Centipede gets shown off first, and played probably the most.

Thanks all. I'll take it apart and see if something needs cleaning. It is one of the more solid track balls I've see yet. :)

It's not working at all Clu? If not at all, when you do open it(carefully)do a continuity test on the cable first

obviously. If the power is not there it aint working at all. It needs power for the encoders...I am assuming

this based on other trackballs such as my CX-22. I know the connection may be different but it probably

is similar in the sense that it uses 5 volts off the controller port. If that is all it is a new cable should fix it.

(Btw, is there a thread or link here to pinouts for the 5200 controllers somewhere?)

I suggest you definitely clean it up too. You can probably find new bearings for it all over the place.

If it does not roll smoothly and quietly, you want to replace those....depending on how crazy you

want to go with this that is, but since you have it opened.... :D

yeah,

agree with what everyone else said above for the most part.

I'll add my own trackball experience:

The one I got wouldn't go left (on screen). I opened it up & cleaned the bearings with rubbing alch & a cloth & put it back together. It worked about 75% of the time but as I played more & more the left motion kept sticking. So I bought a new set of bearings from Best & replaced the 2 left ones & now it works perfect! & I have an extra 3 bearings if I ever need them someday (you might as well buy the set of 5 for $15, as they're $6 individually)!!

Personally, I can't play MC with the stock analog controller. I feel the non centering issue prevents accuracy. Much better with a 100% working trackball IMO.

Peace

I love my TrackBall! I've had friends over and they have looked at it sitting on my coffee table and they'll say "Is that a Trackball? Man, I wished I could play some Centipede again... "

I'll fire it up, and they'll be all over it. I thought the 5200 version of Centipede was done very well--much better than the 7800 version (in my opinion)... not to mention the sound sounds more like the arcade.