IGNORED

Incognito incompatibilities.

Wilheim

i was hoping this topic would become a list of incognito's incompatibilities so i could at least try to fix some of these with incomming JED update, but it seems there are none reported so far 

BBSB game and SyncFile+ being two titles with issues because of how they were written, and this is it?

from what i know there is:

- 0xd013 issue with incognito unmapping original trig3 register, but failing to map its own in xl/xe mode (fixed)

- no bios plugin support as found in ultimate (fixed)

- wrong handling of casinh signal preventing vbxe from working (fixed)

- extsel behaving diffrently for colleen and xl/xe mode resulting in slot3 cards incompatibility (fixed)

I am missing something?

• Like 6

1 hour ago, candle said:

i was hoping this topic would become a list of incognito's incompatibilities so i could at least try to fix some of these with incomming JED update, but it seems there are none reported so far 

BBSB game and SyncFile+ being two titles with issues because of how they were written, and this is it?

- 0xd013 issue with incognito unmapping original trig3 register, but failing to map its own in xl/xe mode (fixed)

- extsel behaving diffrently for colleen and xl/xe mode resulting in slot3 cards incompatibility (fixed)

I am missing something?

#1. and #4 are the ones I found during my own testing... and it is wonderful to hear they are being addressed (no more Basic/XE and other-titles patching).

The last one we remember discussing (in a group setting) was enabling or disabling Joystick 1-4 support on XL/XE mode... This is not operationally critical, but BIOS provides such option, though.

Last but not least, in very recent testing, it came to my attention that SysCheck II (PBI) can't get Incognito past beyond "Colleen" mode during a reset / start (so its RAM and ROM diagnostics operate as intended, since it is necessary to swap in and out base ram, ram under the OS and ROM, all of these in XL/XE mode). These externally-driven diagnostics are always useful and very much appreciated, as they will always allow testing Incognito's allocated RAM and ROM address-spaces for the system).

(EDIT: gee, I forgot I also reported loss of dual floating-bus on 800 Colleen mode. in favor of a single floating-bus 130XE-type. Since only one well known title seems affected, War Games, it has minimal impact, although the change is significant.)

That's about it.

Edited by Faicuai

joystick ports work since quite some time, the only thing programmer must do is to use 0xd343 register to configure portb as an input, and its done (provided this option is enabled)

same thing for trig3 - instead of reading d013 you need to read one of its copies ie d033

this was never intended to run 4 players colleen mode games in xl/xe mode

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, candle said:

joystick ports work since quite some time, the only thing programmer must do is to use 0xd343 register to configure portb as an input, and its done (provided this option is enabled)

same thing for trig3 - instead of reading d013 you need to read one of its copies ie d033

this was never intended to run 4 players colleen mode games in xl/xe mode

Joysticks 3/4 are mentioned because, based on the last discussion (and your guidance) in this regard, once the programming was completed via register, there was ONE direction left that did not respond (going-up, I believe). Therefore, based on your comment above, should we assume that now ALL directions, on 3 and 4 ports work, now?

As for $D013, do you still see floating-bus data during readouts, with new CPLD update? Or does it show "1" or "0", depending on physical presence of cart. on the bus?

Edited by Faicuai

14 minutes ago, candle said:

this is ridicious - it's either all or none

as for floating data bus - i see 0 or 1 at d013

(EDIT: This was your prior feedback regarding Joystick-3, that's why I asked:

"2. in xl/xe mode system won't allow you to turn itself off, hence you won't read joy 3 up status, unless you will take over the controll completly, but this will reuqire custom piece of assembly code"

If that is the case, then problem solved !!

Edited by Faicuai

I posted this in a new thread, but Stephen suggested posting it here as well.

I was attempting to use The!Cart on my Incognito 800 for the first time today since installing the Incognito and having done the "fix" for The!Cart/MyIDE II shown here https://www.wudsn.com/index.php/productions-atari800/tools/thecart/atari-800-fix at the same time. But neither The!Cart or my MyIDE II work when inserted. I just get a black screen.

Now any other cartridge I try works fine, as does everything else. I have Basic disabled in both the BIOS and the Side Loader (which I also have disabled anyway for testing these carts). I'm in XL/XE mode with 1088K Rambo and stock XL/XE OS, SpartaDOS X disabled, hard disk disabled and PBI enabled, but nothing is attached to the PBI at this time. I did the "fix" correctly, cutting the RAS signal trace from the left cart slot and attaching a wire between A and S pins on the right slot for the PHI2 signal. Now I haven't opened the 800 up again yet to make sure the wire on the right slot didn't come loose or something yet, I wanted to find out if it's something else first, before I start taking it apart again to check.

Should it work? Or are there additional incompatibilities with Incognito and The!Cart/MyIDE II anyway?

Edited by Gunstar
  • Thanks 1

not exactly, the fix should work, there also was a firmware fix for one cart or another that solved timing issues without changing the signal. Doing both makes for a rock solid interface.

I would definitely double check your work and make sure the wire is not cold or that there wasn't a case of mirroring when reading and applying the fix

• Like 1

On 1/27/2021 at 7:08 AM, candle said:

I am missing something?

Thanks for looking into these things candle. 

Is the SynCalc issue the same as the SynFile+ issue?

And will I be able to update my original Incognito with the fix?

On 1/28/2021 at 6:01 PM, Gunstar said:

I posted this in a new thread, but Stephen suggested posting it here as well.

I was attempting to use The!Cart on my Incognito 800 for the first time today since installing the Incognito and having done the "fix" for The!Cart/MyIDE II shown here https://www.wudsn.com/index.php/productions-atari800/tools/thecart/atari-800-fix at the same time. But neither The!Cart or my MyIDE II work when inserted. I just get a black screen.

Now any other cartridge I try works fine, as does everything else. I have Basic disabled in both the BIOS and the Side Loader (which I also have disabled anyway for testing these carts). I'm in XL/XE mode with 1088K Rambo and stock XL/XE OS, SpartaDOS X disabled, hard disk disabled and PBI enabled, but nothing is attached to the PBI at this time. I did the "fix" correctly, cutting the RAS signal trace from the left cart slot and attaching a wire between A and S pins on the right slot for the PHI2 signal. Now I haven't opened the 800 up again yet to make sure the wire on the right slot didn't come loose or something yet, I wanted to find out if it's something else first, before I start taking it apart again to check.

Should it work? Or are there additional incompatibilities with Incognito and The!Cart/MyIDE II anyway?

This seems to have turned out to be a conflicting flash memory issue for me. Maybe it's the firmware fix I need that @_The Doctor__ mentioned above still, or maybe it's my memory cards. Everything works as long as only one flash memory system is inserted in the computer at a time when The!Cart or MyIDE II CF are included. in my system. I can live with it. Maybe it's a drive designation conflict even if the other memory cards are supposedly disabled. Maybe I can just set them each to boot a different drive.

Edited by Gunstar

• 5 months later...

I found an oddity using Incognito and CLOAD in Basic.

Set up for XL/XE with SDX and SIDE Enabled, 9 Seconds after typing "CLOAD" and Return after the beep, the screen goes black.

Set up for COLLEEN or SDX and SIDE Disabled and it works as it should.

Any Ideas? I'm still using Candle 0.4 version.  Tested with a XC12 plugged in / unplugged with same results...

6 hours ago, AtariGeezer said:

The actual BIOS-menu

WoOoW... that's a little bit beyond my long-term memory range... ?

Don't have this issue on modern firmware loads, it may need to be addressed by Candle directly, or someone still running that specific version....

1 hour ago, AtariGeezer said:

Can someone verify the issue on the new bios by trying a CLOAD on their incognito 800 (even without a cassette drive attached???)

Edit: Test needed in XL/XE mode...

I am running v3.11rc, and I will not upgrade to latest BIOS, unless I can first back-test upcoming .JED with this version, and then transition to v4.x from a clean (safe) slate.

I ran CLOAD command on Basic, in both XL/XE and Colleen mode (no tape-drive attached). I get "Error 138", ~25 secs. after issuing such command.

Can't help for now with new firmware.