IGNORED

Geneve 9640 - Configuration questions over questions

Schmitzi

6 hours ago, Schmitzi said:

OK, a few ideas.  Since you have had your HFDC in your system and it caused no harm, then I would suggest a couple of tests.

1.  Set HFDC CRU to >1000 and install. yes, maybe I´ll get this done today

2.  Boot MDOS using an AUTOEXEC that contains TIMODE if it is not already there.

3.  Load GPL and Editor Assembler. What file do I take for loading the E/A ? Where from ? (Looking for XB too)

(I am sure I have all these files, I just don´t know which ones/which type...)

4.  Go back to GPL screen (CTRL-SHIFT-SHIFT) and select Rompage mode.

5.  Go into Editor/Assembler Option #5.

6.  Load and run DU2K.  Don't confuse with DM2K. oh yes, great idea, thx ! I used it a lot for checking DSR´s on the TI

7.  Look to see what devices it detects.  It should detect WDS1, etc. if it sees the HFDC DSR.

If it sees the HFDC DSR, then it is not totally bricked.  If it doesn't see it at all, then you have definitely some significant issues.  In this case, please post high quality photos and someone may be able to comment. This will bring the light :thumbsup:

Take pictures of the pin settings on the Lotharek drive and post.  Someone may be able to spot dipswitch issues.  It has been a long time since I set mine up that is now not being used, but it seems there was either dipswitch settings or a config file that may need settings configured on either your USB or SD device.  I may be wrong on this, but check.  Maybe someone else can comment.

Oh yes, in all this fight with the controller and drives, I totally forgot about that.

BUS I configured the .CFG for 2 drives, some days ago: (See here, from my CFG-file):

grafik.thumb.png.39bc1d8b844778d41d30ca8a279c0fb4.png

The DIP-switches are set as follows: ID0A and ID2B are ON (now)

While on error (last drive = Lotharek #2) it was ID0A and ID3B set to ON

Sorry no pic because drives mounted this night :) But here a pic from the manuak, for better visualisation:

grafik.thumb.png.5becec6863d3e33de644a5abfd51d710.png

What kind of MFM drive are you wanting to use with the HFDC?  Are you using a MFM drive, or the MFM emulator (DREM)?  Or, no hard drive at all?

I am not sure at the moment, I have all type of drives and I have the DREM-Emu.

My latest idea was to use the HFDC for the big floppy drives and the new IDE for harddisk (we talked about before)

But I have no strict route, so please say me what is better) :)

Now, regarding the PFM.  Is it the 384K or 512K version?  Do you have instructions for using and installing MDOS onto the PFM?  At this point, do not attempt to Save MDOS to the PFM as I think MDOS V5.0 and V6.5 are different size files, and if you have the 384K PFM, you can not install the complete version of MDOS on your setup.  I have the 384K PFM myself and there are some things you have to be careful doing.

Yes it´s the 384K update "only", (and 192K video). (Can the 384K be updated to 512K ?)

And yes, I read your post here around talking about splitting the files (or so) so I already thought NOT to change anythng :) uih good luck

And no, I sadly have no instructions for the PFM handling but would love to have.

i.e. how can I copy a file/proggy to my E:-drive (which is small but very fast) ?

On copy, it does noot take any files.... I am sure this is part of the magic ;)

AH OK, I have found the small PFM+ PDF file now ?, I will study this soon.

But I miss some mentioned software like:

DISK2FILE & FLASHFIX

SCSISPLIT & SCSI4PFM (I can see SCSI4PFM in my AUTOEXEC, I think it comes from an older config)

and maybe more... (like LOADIMAGE for saveimage :grin: )

PFM+ instructions.pdf 155.35 kB · 1 download

BTW, what is the "File extension / F1 ... F10" thing ?

Beery

Thank you for support,

Ralf

SCSISPLIT breaks MDOS into two files.  One is a 120K image, and the second is an 8K image (SCSI4PFM) that must then be loaded as a separate file from your AUTOEXEC.  

The next revision of MDOS will have a TIPISPLIT that will break MDOS into three files.  One file is a 120K image that fits into the PFM, and the second are 2 x 8K pages for the SCSI code and for the TIPI code.

DISK2FILE creates a “disk” image of files that are then written to the extra memory on the PFM where MDOS does not reside.  That PFM disk can then be remapped for use, but it is write only.  So, figure out what files you want (somewhere around 500 sectors) that can be searched using the PATH command that will make loading things easier.

I’m typing a bit remote, so ask later unless someone else responds with any PFM files.  I’ve got them, but they are on the computer and I am on an iPad right now.

I will also try unless someone beats me to it, get the EA and Extended Basic files to you.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, mizapf said:

Is there a way to split the loader on a non-PFM SCSI system? A short SCSI loader for DSK1, and the rest of GeneveOS on SCS1? Right now I'm booting by DSK1 only; this would certainly be helpful.

It would take a custom bios eprom to load a LOAD/SYS type file from DSK1 that would then load MDOS in its entirety from SCS1.

I have been working on an eprom version that would support TIPI/HFDC/IDE/SCSI/DSK, however I need to figure out why the HFDC/TIPI/DSK version did not work first.  I will be posting code so if a person's specific needs aren't available, then they could tweak the code.

For some reason, I thought the Version 1.00 eprom supported the SCSI????  Maybe holding a key to pull the menu up?

Unfortunately, it does not appear Tony's code for the V1.00 eprom is available.  And, for those that wonder, the display screen that replaces the swan, is actually a graphic, not "text" written to the screen.

Beery

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mizapf said:

Is there a way to split the loader on a non-PFM SCSI system? A short SCSI loader for DSK1, and the rest of GeneveOS on SCS1? Right now I'm booting by DSK1 only; this would certainly be helpful.

Boot EPROM 1.00 uses a SCSI_SYS loader that can be placed on the SCSI and the entire OS can load from SCSI. that is how my BBS system is set up today. There is no need to split the OS, unless I am misinterpreting your question, or maybe you are referring to a 0.98 EPROM configuration?

4 hours ago, BeeryMiller said:

Now, regarding the PFM.  Is it the 384K or 512K version?  Do you have instructions for using and installing MDOS onto the PFM?  At this point, do not attempt to Save MDOS to the PFM as I think MDOS V5.0 and V6.5 are different size files, and if you have the 384K PFM, you can not install the complete version of MDOS on your setup.  I have the 384K PFM myself and there are some things you have to be careful doing

Just to clarify, the 384K refers to the SRAM not PFM.  Careful not to mix the two pieces of hardware.

PFM+ is a 256K stack of two 128k chips; PFM512 is a single 512K chip.   PFM+ can hold 120K of the OS; PFM512 can hold 128k of the OS.   I don't know if SCSISPLIT will work with the PFM512 though in theory it should. The best solution would be to update both PFM devices to allow for more OS but that requires requires reverse engineering and some trial and error to defeat the embedded protection routines to avoid bricking the device entirely.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, InsaneMultitasker said:

Boot EPROM 1.00 uses a SCSI_SYS loader that can be placed on the SCSI and the entire OS can load from SCSI. that is how my BBS system is set up today. There is no need to split the OS, unless I am misinterpreting your question, or maybe you are referring to a 0.98 EPROM configuration?

Yes, for the 0.98. I did not upgrade my EPROM, and I'd favor a "soft" solution that does not require replacing the EPROM.

The point is that I'm doing most stuff in MAME, and it's not really worth doing changes to my real Geneve for those rare occasions when I use it. However, when I actually fire it up, I always have to wait for my floppy to boot.

By the way, the idea of having a primordial loader on a supported drive that loads the main OS from a definable source is what I proposed some years ago (but I did not find enough time to further work on that concept).

Edited by mizapf

1 hour ago, mizapf said:

The point is that I'm doing most stuff in MAME, and it's not really worth doing changes to my real Geneve for those rare occasions when I use it. However, when I actually fire it up, I always have to wait for my floppy to boot

It would be worth investing the time to create a jumpboot diskette for your real hardware.  I believe you need HyperCopy to format the disk to the appropriate interleave/skew, and from there some other sector editing is required.  With luck, the instructions have not been lost to the great time sink in the sky.  @dhe do you have the original jumpboot utility disk that you reference in the Geneve FAQ?

A Jumpboot disk can be created by formatting Interlace 1, Skew 2 on the floppy disk.  Then, copying SYSTEM/SYS to it.  If you want to use other files on that same floppy besides perhaps AUTOEXEC, then the disk needs to be formatted "normally", then reformatted "partially" (limited number of tracks, 1 side), so that SYSTEM/SYS occupies the interlace 1 portion of the tracks at interlace 1, skew 2 while the rest of the disk is interlace 3 or 4, skew 0 or 1(?).  Not sure what the defaults were.

The challenge here is since the disk was formatted partially the second time, sector 0 and 1 is different than what it should be, so you will have to create a correct bitmap for sector 0 and 1 for the larger disk.

I hope that makes sense.

Beery

@BeeryMiller thanks for the files, will check tomorrow :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just for info, my BIOS says "v3.0". Here is the standard boot sequence:

IMG_5186.thumb.JPG.f26b591acd56598b3dcdec2d6372d059.JPG

IMG_5188.thumb.JPG.6a6815e26fb32fc18d4dbcb74af417e9.JPG

(I modified the AUTOEXEC a little bit)

BTW, this is the Flashdisk E: / DSK6. under MDOS5:

IMG_5183.thumb.JPG.e0b8f16349269802f197940ce6497674.JPG

...and the mappings:

Is it so that the FLASHDISK "hardwarewise" is T: ? And the rest (E: and DSK6.) comes via the REMAP and ASSIGN ?

IMG_5180.thumb.JPG.26969140d3de00b8de7b058d415a6929.JPG

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The EXTENDED BOOT SEQUENCE:

If I press "Left-Shift" (quick, short & once) at power on (while "v3.0" is showing), then I get this:

IMG_5172.thumb.JPG.75ebffcf3b66186acf2588e029fbddf8.JPG

I press "F" here above to boot from my Floppydisk A: (720KB & MDOS 6.50)

and get this:

IMG_5173.thumb.JPG.b5fa76d71984316deb00c6a8257f7201.JPG

I don´t know so I press "D" what brings me to this: 

IMG_5173.thumb.JPG.45c504eda7d8aec8f7b4859f4ce256ec.JPG

Of course "N"ot leads me to:     :)  

IMG_5174.thumb.JPG.c0ae91bd19ecabed8b882d232384ad29.JPG

--->>>

Welcome to MDOS 6.50 ;)  (where I cannot see the Flashdisk, no chance)

IMG_5176.thumb.JPG.2941fbc020ec00a77fd381a2d856c1a2.JPG

aarghh, and this always happens when I power off:

IMG_5169.thumb.JPG.fc91b92e02a0d44da2fd5a442de61ff1.JPG

ACK ACK ACK  :grin: :grin: :grin:

• Haha 3

8 minutes ago, Schmitzi said:

I press "F" here to boot from Floppydisk A: (720KB & MDOS 6.50)

IMG_5173.thumb.JPG.b5fa76d71984316deb00c6a8257f7201.JPG

I don´t know so I press "D" ;)

IMG_5173.thumb.JPG.45c504eda7d8aec8f7b4859f4ce256ec.JPG

Of course "N"ot  :)  

IMG_5174.thumb.JPG.c0ae91bd19ecabed8b882d232384ad29.JPG

Welcome to MDOS 6.50 ;)  (where I cannot see the Flashdisk, no chance)

IMG_5176.thumb.JPG.2941fbc020ec00a77fd381a2d856c1a2.JPG

I think your comments indicate you did not update the PFM.  Until you have fully understood the requirements, I would not do so as you would need to split MDOS first.

Also, you did right by selecting D for default.

Does this last picture indicated you booted from floppy and had MDOS 6.50?  I do not see a prompt and wondering if you just took a picture before it was completed booting, or if there was another issue.

Beery

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, BeeryMiller said:

I think your comments indicate you did not update the PFM.  Until you have fully understood the requirements, I would not do so as you would need to split MDOS first.

Also, you did right by selecting D for default.

Does this last picture indicated you booted from floppy and had MDOS 6.50?  I do not see a prompt and wondering if you just took a picture before it was completed booting, or if there was another issue.

Beery

Yes it booted MDOS650 from A:, and I just did a VER in the AUTOEXEC, what includes a CLS and brings this screen

And I always say NO to updates, everywhere ;)

I am thinking about a request to remove that CLS from the VER command, in @InsaneMultitasker´s other thread

(mybe he can here me here ?) :)

48 minutes ago, InsaneMultitasker said:

It would be worth investing the time to create a jumpboot diskette for your real hardware.

Can SYSTEM/SYS have any size (for the 0.98), in particular, smaller? I may find out from my disassembly, but maybe you have the information at hand.

13 minutes ago, mizapf said:

Can SYSTEM/SYS have any size (for the 0.98), in particular, smaller? I may find out from my disassembly, but maybe you have the information at hand.

Yes, both 0.98 and 1.0 should be capable of loading smaller OS's.   Also remember that commented source code to the 0.98 EPROM and HFDC LOAD/SYS is available.

37 minutes ago, Schmitzi said:

I am thinking about a request to remove that CLS from the VER command, in @InsaneMultitasker´s other thread

(mybe he can here me here ?

Maybe. :cool:

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, InsaneMultitasker said:

Yes, both 0.98 and 1.0 should be capable of loading smaller OS's.   Also remember that commented source code to the 0.98 EPROM and HFDC LOAD/SYS is available.

My idea would then be to write a SYSTEM/SYS for A: whose only task is to call the SCSI card to load the real thing. I already merged the existing commented source code with my own disassembly.

On 2/7/2021 at 1:24 AM, BeeryMiller said:

OK, a few ideas.  Since you have had your HFDC in your system and it caused no harm, then I would suggest a couple of tests.

1.  Set HFDC CRU to >1000 and install.

2.  Boot MDOS using an AUTOEXEC that contains TIMODE if it is not already there.

3.  Load GPL and Editor Assembler.

4.  Go back to GPL screen (CTRL-SHIFT-SHIFT) and select Rompage mode.

5.  Go into Editor/Assembler Option #5.

6.  Load and run DU2K.  Don't confuse with DM2K.

7.  Look to see what devices it detects.  It should detect WDS1, etc. if it sees the HFDC DSR.

If it sees the HFDC DSR, then it is not totally bricked.  If it doesn't see it at all, then you have definitely some significant issues.  In this case, please post high quality photos and someone may be able to comment.

Take pictures of the pin settings on the Lotharek drive and post.  Someone may be able to spot dipswitch issues.  It has been a long time since I set mine up that is now not being used, but it seems there was either dipswitch settings or a config file that may need settings configured on either your USB or SD device.  I may be wrong on this, but check.  Maybe someone else can comment.

What kind of MFM drive are you wanting to use with the HFDC?  Are you using a MFM drive, or the MFM emulator (DREM)?  Or, no hard drive at all?

Now, regarding the PFM.  Is it the 384K or 512K version?  Do you have instructions for using and installing MDOS onto the PFM?  At this point, do not attempt to Save MDOS to the PFM as I think MDOS V5.0 and V6.5 are different size files, and if you have the 384K PFM, you can not install the complete version of MDOS on your setup.  I have the 384K PFM myself and there are some things you have to be careful doing.

Beery

I checked the HFDC again, and there is some hope. DU2K shows the DSR´s

Here are some pics, I can see a spot on the board (last pic), looks like bad solder maybe ?

I don´t know, unfortunately soldering is not my thing...

IMG_5195.thumb.JPG.9ce96a9c12a569d7b5504003e2212add.JPG

@RickyDean

IMG_5196.JPG

IMG_5199.JPG

IMG_5200.JPG

IMG_5202.JPG

IMG_5204.JPG

IMG_5205.JPG

IMG_5207.JPG

IMG_5208.JPG

IMG_5209.JPG

IMG_5210.JPG

IMG_5212.JPG

IMG_5213.JPG

IMG_5214.JPG

IMG_5213 - SPOT.JPG

On 1/25/2021 at 3:07 AM, Schmitzi said:

Hi,

I am (slowly ? ) rebuilding my PFM modded Geneve (384+192K) system and I really don´t know what controller/combination to use.

Can/should I use the HFDC for the harddrive only plus adding a BwG (or CC9900) for the (2+HxC) floppy disk drives ?

Makes that sense for an extra FDD-controller ? Maybe just to have it full or to prevent from any problems ?

I have some controllers, so it is not the question to save up one. And I have no need for formats bigger than 720KB.

I also want to add an HRD3000 Ramdisk, is it possible to boot from that, instead of the harddisk ?

Does this make sense at all ? Or just install it without boot, just to have it ?

Is there any use for the TripleTec-Card ? Speech maybe ?

And use the CC9900 floppy controller instead of the BwG ?

I also have the Myarc 512 KB RAM, but I think there is a special mod to be done, to use it in the Geneve ?

And I will add a RS232, maybe I take the Myarc instead of the TI (?)

I also have an ASCSI2-Controller, but I really do not want to use that because I want to keep my SNUG system complete.

(if anyone wants to get rid off a WHT-SCSI, I am your man) :grin:

What did I forget ?

thx

If needed, here is a picture:

1843852597_MyarcGeneve9640Cecure-PFM-RMS-22.thumb.JPG.eb84030c5ee98495ab4d4adb713037ad.JPG

More detailed here:

https://atariage.com/forums/topic/315250-ti-994a-show-your-modded-systems-here/?do=findComment&comment=4734298

Hi 

Last weekend I reconfigured my Geneve setup, this is in the PEB:

* Geneve 9640 card

* HRD3000 (Rambo) -- giving issues after a while. Normally I boot from here, then I reformat it (now easy with Gotek)

(see how to install: https://www.ninerpedia.org/wiki/Booting_MDOS_from_Horizon_Ramdisk)

* RS232 card (connected to a PC for  CFHDXS1 file transfers to PC-- from TIMODE / GPL)

* Corcomp DS/DD Controller   (BwG does not work if I remember correctly)

* Rave99 - Speech in Box

* 3.5" drive (as DSK2.   "B:")

* Gotek drive (as DSK1.  "A:")  to boot the Geneve as necessary.

* I have a simple bootdisk

then FORM123   (to format HRD3000)

then type ASSIGN E=DSK6:

Copy with a batch important files (AUTOEXEC, QDE, GPL-M-N-O, XBEA 1-6, EA,  CFHDXS1) to E:

(so it takes 2-3 minutes and the HRD3000 is ready again)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1