IGNORED

Restoring Atari 800 case

JGRAHAM2

I just took apart an 800 that I bought some time ago. I noticed a little chip out of the case back then, but when I took it apart, I found it is much worse. Any ideas on what to do about this? These cases must be like porcelain.
Other than that, I found that it has an Axlon 128K RAMDISK, which is kind of cool.

ED99B07A-BD84-4A23-B4A9-D3AA4EDC03BB.thumb.jpeg.29d874417d3da00e212269a7656b826f.jpeg42C44839-59AC-44FE-82D3-3E77E29F5AF6.thumb.jpeg.96313ef54c5153a6d92258f410c6e5d3.jpeg

I'd suggest using sandable automotive epoxy. Fit the bits together and epoxy from behind so the epoxy doesn't show. The stuff is meant for auto body repairs of plastic and some metal parts. It dries to touch in about 15 minutes and hardens completely in a few hours or less. You can sand and paint to match for car stuff but it you use it on the underside or interior parts there's no need. It's super strong and will hold those pieces together forever.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, JGRAHAM2 said:

I just took apart an 800 that I bought some time ago. I noticed a little chip out of the case back then, but when I took it apart, I found it is much worse. Any ideas on what to do about this? These cases must be like porcelain.
Other than that, I found that it has an Axlon 128K RAMDISK, which is kind of cool.

ED99B07A-BD84-4A23-B4A9-D3AA4EDC03BB.thumb.jpeg.29d874417d3da00e212269a7656b826f.jpeg42C44839-59AC-44FE-82D3-3E77E29F5AF6.thumb.jpeg.96313ef54c5153a6d92258f410c6e5d3.jpeg

You will never be happy about this. Deep inside you know it...

...But there IS a solution. Thanks God your problem is with the top-half. Just chase all open deals on e-Bay, until you find a decent 800, listed for parts or clearly undervalued. Just go grab it, and get a whole new top-cover. Color match it by just exposing it periodically to the sun, if a bit darker/ yellow. If not, you will be all set, plus a whole stash of fresh parts for your future endeavors. They will come handy.

Trust me, you will sleep better... Do it right! ;-)

1 hour ago, Faicuai said:

You will never be happy about this. Deep inside you know it...

...But there IS a solution. Thanks God your problem is with the top-half. Just chase all open deals on e-Bay, until you find a decent 800, listed for parts or clearly undervalued. Just go grab it, and get a whole new top-cover. Color match it by just exposing it periodically to the sun, if a bit darker/ yellow. If not, you will be all set, plus a whole stash of fresh parts for your future endeavors. They will come handy.

Trust me, you will sleep better... Do it right! ;-)

I actually have 2 800s. Since I am installing an Incognito in this one, I will probably switch cases and defer fixing this one until later. I have about 6 projects going right now, most waiting on parts to come in.

It's interesting that some people find their 800 so brittle, I have three and they are like tanks. Well, except the little posts for the upper door flap... Super glue + baking soda is your friend for sure, I had to fix two posts for the flap in two of my 800s like that, and they are solid. Of course if you have missing pieces, that's a little harder.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mrarkus said:

It's interesting that some people find their 800 so brittle, I have three and they are like tanks. Well, except the little posts for the upper door flap... Super glue + baking soda is your friend for sure, I had to fix two posts for the flap in two of my 800s like that, and they are solid. Of course if you have missing pieces, that's a little harder.

Agree 100%.

By looking at the posted pictures, I would say those guid-posts broke off due to a) impact and/or b) fatigue caused by over-torque. 

Unit may have been dropped accidentally,  for instance.

7 hours ago, Faicuai said:

Agree 100%.

By looking at the posted pictures, I would say those guid-posts broke off due to a) impact and/or b) fatigue caused by over-torque. 

Unit may have been dropped accidentally,  for instance.

It happened when they shipped it to me. I’ve had a couple vintage computers damaged in shipment, most of the time due to poor packaging and sometimes due to poor handling. 

10 hours ago, _The Doctor__ said:

remember to run a screw threw it (in and out) when wet to prevent the glue from filling the threads and splitting again when you re assemble... the magnet wire/speaker wire reinforcement works 'very' well.

Too late for that unfortunately. I will reinforce it and then use a tap perhaps. Thanks.