IGNORED

Got Japanese Sega Master: what TV do I need? The ant.seems pretty wierd...

Giles N

I imported a japanese Sega Master.

It’s powerplug seems ‘american’ and 100 v.

(I’ve tested similar on a jap.Famicom)

But the antenna seems really wierd with this switch-box, and plug-in to the TV seems like some old stereo-cables, with twisted metal/bronze-wiring and some plastic end.

Anyone who knows what I need to comnect it to?

A jap.TV?

A particular way of plugging-wiring?

And where? (On the back of the TV)?

Thanks for inputs, if anyone knows anything.

• Like 1

@Giles N First, cut the end off, just below where the black coating ends, so you'll have a nice clean cable. Then, strip some of the black coating off, be careful not to cut the metal mesh and plastic inside. Peel back the metal mesh but dont cut it off. Strip the plastic center but don't cut it; it contains a metal wire inside. Buy a coax f type connector; make sure it's just the outer metal bit with no wires. Stick it onto your cable. The metal mesh is the ground so make sure it makes contact with the ground of the f type connector. The central pin will be the coax pin. After that you can just plug it into the RF jack on the back of your TV.

Or you could use an old Japanese TV that has the screws and clamp on the back to directly install the wire. You'll still need to do the stripping process though.

Reading through what I just read and I dont think it's very easy to understand, at least, not with pictures... But it's what I did when I got my Famicom which had the exact same type of switchbox. I remember reading a tutorial online but can't find it anymore.

By the way, if you are hooking this up to an NTSC television you must tune to channel 95 if your console is set to channel 1, or channel 96 if it's set to channel 2.

56343f0d.jpg

Here's a reference pic; you want to make the end of your cable look like 3.

Amazon.com: CESS F-Type Twist-On Coax Coaxial Cable RF Connector Plug RG59  - F Twist-On Plug (10 Pack): Home Audio & Theater

Buy one of these, stick it onto the cable.

Edited by bluejay
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/26/2021 at 7:48 AM, bluejay said:

@Giles N First, cut the end off, just below where the black coating ends, so you'll have a nice clean cable. Then, strip some of the black coating off, be careful not to cut the metal mesh and plastic inside. Peel back the metal mesh but dont cut it off. Strip the plastic center but don't cut it; it contains a metal wire inside. Buy a coax f type connector; make sure it's just the outer metal bit with no wires. Stick it onto your cable. The metal mesh is the ground so make sure it makes contact with the ground of the f type connector. The central pin will be the coax pin. After that you can just plug it into the RF jack on the back of your TV.

Or you could use an old Japanese TV that has the screws and clamp on the back to directly install the wire. You'll still need to do the stripping process though.

Reading through what I just read and I dont think it's very easy to understand, at least, not with pictures... But it's what I did when I got my Famicom which had the exact same type of switchbox. I remember reading a tutorial online but can't find it anymore.

By the way, if you are hooking this up to an NTSC television you must tune to channel 95 if your console is set to channel 1, or channel 96 if it's set to channel 2.

56343f0d.jpg

Here's a reference pic; you want to make the end of your cable look like 3.

Amazon.com: CESS F-Type Twist-On Coax Coaxial Cable RF Connector Plug RG59  - F Twist-On Plug (10 Pack): Home Audio & Theater

Buy one of these, stick it onto the cable.

Thanks a lot for info!

What are connection-pieces (of metal) called (if I want to search for it)?

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Giles N said:

Thanks a lot for info!

What are connection-pieces (of metal) called (if I want to search for it)?

Try F-type screw on connector. Make sure to get one that's just the outer metal bit so you can stick the cable inside of it.

37 minutes ago, emerson said:

If you check the electrical isle at your local big box hardware store they might have some as well.

I actually bought a few from Home Depot for $5. So yeah, hardware stores do carry them. But he bought the correct kind off ebay so I hope that works out.

By the way, I'd recommend you get some kind of aftermarket power supply that's designed for 110-120v. It's compatible with a Super Famicom one, if that helps.

Edited by bluejay

• 2 weeks later...

DTV is Digital TeleVision and CATV is CAble TeleVision. You want CATV as this implies analog video. If there is an option for ANTenna you want that instead.

If you haven't yet, you will need to rescan your channels with the console turned on and connected. If you tried that and still can't get past ch69 then I suggest trying the cables suggested by Steven in post #4.

Also, double check that the center conductor of the coax cable is not shorted to the new connector and that the new connector is making good contact with the coax shield wires.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1