IGNORED

Worms Save Capability Possible?

Rick Dangerous

Worms is one of the best games on Jaguar, despite not being an exclusive, and one of my personal favorite series.  Apparently the 1998 Jaguar port was ported from the PSX/Saturn version of the game; both of which have save features.  For some reason they chose not to include this in the Jaguar version.  It doesn't save the human team names and worm names you input, game setting, league statistics, or well....anything. lol. 

Having the ability to save would up the fun factor and replayability for this game considerably so I guess my question is; how hard would it be to make this work?  The save feature has to be buried in the code somewhere; would it simply be a matter or reactivating it in the hex code, creating a new rom for a cart and adding a EEPROM to the cart PCB; or is there more to it than that? 

Thanks; i know it's probably a stupid question but i have been wondering about this regarding this game for some time. 

• Like 1

Love Worms and can spend hours playing it.

Personally I cannot see how being able to save name changes would really make the game more fun and increase replayability, perhaps if it saved a high score that you could try and beat that would improve replayablilty but it is not a high score type of game. For me Team Tap support would be a much better feature to add as passing one controller around 4 players is not very good.

Just because it is a conversion from a version that had game save features that does not necessarily mean the save code is in there and just buried, the Jaguar coding and its save code may have been sufficiently different that not much if any code from another platform was able to be reused, they may only have been able to reuse the graphic and audio assets. Also features like that and team tap support may have been omitted due to time constraints in regard to release dates or there just not being enough space left on the cart.

I do not really play with the options but you could try changing the SFX and music volume levels and see if they are retained. If they are that would indicated that there is save code and an EEPROM inside the cartridge, it is just not saving the features you want it to.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Stephen Moss said:

Personally I cannot see how being able to save name changes would really make the game more fun and increase replayability, perhaps if it saved a high score that you could try and beat that would improve replayablilty but it is not a high score type of game. For me Team Tap support would be a much better feature to add as passing one controller around 4 players is not very good.

I do not really play with the options but you could try changing the SFX and music volume levels and see if they are retained. If they are that would indicated that there is save code and an EEPROM inside the cartridge, it is just not saving the features you want it to.

I think being able to input team names is really fun; you can name the worms after yourself and your friends that you game with, and come up with a cool team name.  It's time consuming to input letter by letter and if it doesn't save it; why bother.  Also saved league statistics are really cool, showing who you've played and beaten, etc.  Especially if you are playing other Human teams that a friend uses to play you frequently.  It's time consuming to adjust play/option settings and if those were retained it would also be nice.  I've experimented it saves nothing on the cart.  All around i think if all these things were retained it would add a LOT to the overall Worms experience on Jag.

Couldn't agree with you more on the 4-Player Team tap idea.  Sadly i think that would be even harder since it was never in the code to begin with.  Worms used the "Pass a controller" scheme right up until the Dreamcast.  Armageddon on N64 and Dreamcast has you passing the controller, while World Party on Dreamcast finally splits it out to 4 controller.   This would be epic on Jaguar; but would have to be programmed from the ground up which would probably be more challenging than enabling the save code. 

• Like 1