Atari 1040 STF

Ute

The Good:

1MB Memory

Blitter Chip

Gotek Drive with an 8GB usb stick, has some things on it – PM for more info

Switchable ROMS - TOS 1.04(Rainbow) and TOS 1.02

Original mouse with laser upgrade installed

Original disk drive included(not attached to the Atari)

Power cord

A scart cable for video

Not as Good:

Missing the key for the Numpad 0

Has the badge of a 1040STE but this is actually a 1040STF

The case has been painted

The Keyboard was retrobrited badly, and now has hair like scratches on every key – A good case against retrobriting

This has been a great computer for me, but I’m scaling back. I’ve tested the keyboard and everything seems to work ok. I can’t confirm if all of the function keys are all working, I can confirm F1, F7, and F8 are working – those are the only ones I use. I’m also including the guts of the ball mouse in case someone wants to put them back and replace the laser.

I'll consider any reasonable offers.

IMG_0779.JPG

IMG_0780.JPG

IMG_0783.JPG

IMG_0787.JPG

IMG_0790.JPG

IMG_0791.JPG

IMG_0792.JPG

IMG_0796.JPG

IMG_0797.JPG

IMG_0798.JPG

IMG_0801.JPG

IMG_0802.JPG

IMG_0804.JPG

IMG_0867.JPG

IMG_0869.JPG

IMG_0873.JPG

IMG_0875.JPG

IMG_0878.JPG

IMG_0879.JPG

IMG_0786.JPG

Edited by Ute
Updated
  • Like 1

Yes, I purchased it from AmigaStore:

https://amigastore.eu/638-laser-upgrade-kit-for-atari-stm1-mouse.html

It's pretty easy to do the upgrade,  it's just a matter of removing some screws, then removing the ball housing and inserting the laser housing in its place.

I cannot recommend it for a couple of reasons:

1. The 3D printed ball cover(now laser cover) barely fit(really loose) and came off during normal use. I did manage to get the original ball cover back on with some fiddling.

2. I tried all three of the configurations and the only one that worked swapped the vertical movement (up was down and down was up) - so I had to cut and modify the header pin connectors. 

When I did get the movement fixed any vertical movement temporarily went the opposite direction before the mouse would right itself in the correct direction. This made it very tedious to select dialog buttons, or to have any accuracy with the mouse.

So imagine trying to play Lemmings or Sundog with an inaccurate mouse. This effect was noticeably worse on my STE, but was much better on this 1040STF. Perhaps a firmware issue with the laser upgrade - I don't know.

I much prefer the Tom and Jerry solutions,

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Great-Amiga-Atari-XE-XL-ST-C64-C128-Mouse-Gamepad-Joystick-USB-adapter-TOM-Rev2/233834776173?hash=item3671a3866d:g:rXAAAOSwr7ZW6~aI

I really liked the idea of keeping the original mouse as I'm sure we all do, just a shame it doesn't work that well. On the other hand, maybe I just got one that had a damaged IC and other people have had better luck.

Edited by Ute
Reasons