IGNORED

Atari Computers in Macy's department store in the 80's

Allan

• 3 weeks later...
Does anybody in the New England area remember seeing Macy's department store display of the Atari Computers in New York City during the early Eighties?

I don't remember it because I'm in Ohio, but one of my Atari 800s in box has the original Macys sticker for $849.00 (but a discounted sticker is also on the box for $499.00).

Does anybody in the New England area remember seeing Macy's department store display of the Atari Computers in New York City during the early Eighties?

Allan

I remember the dedicated counter with the 400, 800, 810 and 850 on display in the cases. Nothing was connected together and running a demo, everything was behind glass, prices were insanely high. At the time, one of the best places to buy Atari computers was actually Toys R Us, they had some of the better prices of the equipment and programs.

Sears had the fully decked out 2600 kiosks on display and they also had the Atari computers hooked up and running. I picked up a salesmans guide to selling Atari computers that I guess a salesperson had left ontop of the tv that the Atari 800 was connected too, I still have it today :-)

THE best place for Atari computers and videogames that I personally ever saw was a place in Staten Island, NY called The Staten Island Computer Center. It was Atari-dreamland to put it midly, whoever the owner was was hog-wild and had the whole store decked out with ever Atari display case, cabinet and kiosk, it was a thing of beauty... ahhh....

Curt

Allan

i would of remembered, but i was too busy playing the atari2600 in the sears department store, i tell ya, my mother sure knew where to find me everytime we got seperated in the malls!! :D

Eric

Allan

I remember the dedicated counter with the 400, 800, 810 and 850 on display in the cases. Nothing was connected together and running a demo, everything was behind glass, prices were insanely high. At the time, one of the best places to buy Atari computers was actually Toys R Us, they had some of the better prices of the equipment and programs.

I just remember the whole place being dark with a lot of blue Tron-like lights around. To my 15-year-old eyes it looked really cool. I don't remember the prices at Macy's but I do remember the computer prices in general were very expensive so I didn't even bother trying to buy one. I really wanted Star Raiders though! I wish someone had taken pictures of the displays as well as other displays elsewere.

Sears had the fully decked out 2600 kiosks on display and they also had the Atari computers hooked up and running.   I picked up a salesmans guide to selling Atari computers that I guess a salesperson had left ontop of the tv that the Atari 800 was connected too, I still have it today :-)

Yea, I remember playing with these all the time out in the Milford, CT Sears. Anytime my mom would go out there I had her bring me to Sears to play with the computers. They never could make up their mind on what brand to carry and wether to support them or not.

THE best place for Atari computers and videogames that I personally ever saw was a place in Staten Island, NY called The Staten Island Computer Center.   It was Atari-dreamland to put it midly, whoever the owner was was hog-wild and had the whole store decked out with ever Atari display case, cabinet and kiosk, it was a thing of beauty... ahhh....

Curt

Sounds cool. Would have loved to been there. To bad there are no pictures of the place. :(

Allan