IGNORED

Wico controller for 5200

rxd

Does anyone use the Wico 5200 controller anymore with their 5200?
To use it you need the Y cable that it came with and through the years I lost mine.

I posted in wanted that I was looking for replacements and never got a response.

So that got me wondering if anyone else even used these controllers anymore....

On 2/11/2021 at 3:35 PM, rxd said:

Nobody else uses the Wico joystick?

I’m surprised, it was Avery popular controller back in the day.

i never knew they made a separate number pad for it...

I bought one from bohoki several years ago with a custom Y cable.  It broke and I got a replacement on eBay for 23 dollars.  But its not the best controller.

On 2/13/2021 at 4:59 PM, 0078265317 said:

I bought one from bohoki several years ago with a custom Y cable.  It broke and I got a replacement on eBay for 23 dollars.  But its not the best controller.

What controller do you consider better than the Wico?

I have the Wico and I really like it... for me, if I could only have one controller for the 5200, that would be it, as it can be used successfully on every 5200 game.  That said, it just doesn’t feel quite right for a standard arcade game, like Pac-Man for example.  So ideally, you’d have some kind of Masterplay-style adapter and your favorite 2600 compatible joystick in your arsenal as well.  And you probably want the 5200 trackball for the few games that take advantage of it as well.  This is why the 5200 is a system for hardcore enthusiasts... it takes some effort to get good controller options for all the different kinds of games!

On 2/10/2021 at 3:04 PM, rxd said:

Does anyone use the Wico 5200 controller anymore with their 5200?
To use it you need the Y cable that it came with and through the years I lost mine.

I posted in wanted that I was looking for replacements and never got a response.

So that got me wondering if anyone else even used these controllers anymore....

I do:

00BCD373-C35F-4601-8797-2C23F96935BB.jpeg

• Like 1

I vaguely remember during my 5200 phase  like 10 years ago a guy on ebay was selling a home made adapter so you could use the 7800 gamepad instead of the wico, but still plug in the 5200 controller wico Y adapter style to get the keypad function .. if you could find one of those, THAT was the hands down best 5200 controller.

Screenshot_2021-02-21 7800 gamepad - Google Search.png

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 2/15/2021 at 8:08 AM, DamonicFury said:

I have the Wico and I really like it... for me, if I could only have one controller for the 5200, that would be it, as it can be used successfully on every 5200 game.  That said, it just doesn’t feel quite right for a standard arcade game, like Pac-Man for example.  So ideally, you’d have some kind of Masterplay-style adapter and your favorite 2600 compatible joystick in your arsenal as well.  And you probably want the 5200 trackball for the few games that take advantage of it as well.  This is why the 5200 is a system for hardcore enthusiasts... it takes some effort to get good controller options for all the different kinds of games!

I'd say an adapter that supports 7800 controllers and/or Sega Genesis/MegaDrive controllers would be best since that would cover the 2nd Fire Button. A Sega adapter would land access to cheap 3rd party digital controllers. Personally, I love Atari Jaguar JagPads but they aren't the cheapest options. And then you have all of the PC GamePort adapters for analog joysticks for the games that do support analog. 

• 1 month later...