IGNORED

Well... I did it... :(

82-T/A

I've started putting everything up for sale... all my Jaguar games:

I'm actually really shocked that they are selling so quickly. Earlier in the day, they were selling faster than I was able to put them up on eBay.

My wife is trying to convince me to keep at least one Atari Jaguar, and keep some of the games. My daughter is a HUGE fan of that Piko game Custodian, and she's begging me not to sell it. So I may end up keeping that one, and I have some doubles.

In the end, I realized I hadn't played any of these games in years... and it just didn't make sense for me to keep these.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 3

17 minutes ago, Sauron said:

Well, um, enjoy the massive amounts of money you'll make from selling all of that. Just don't sell anything that you think you might regret later. That's the first rule of trimming down one's collection.

I'm already regretting it... but it's all going into my 529 Education account. All my daughter talks about is going to MIT... she's 12, so I have some time, but I only have like $23k in her college education account. I know I need like $120k total... haha, so I'm $100k off. She was really upset that I was selling my Atari Jaguar stuff, and she insisted that I keep Custodian... so I guess I'll keep one of my Jaguars and Custodian... lol.

But I told her all the money I make, I'm putting it into her 529.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

I dont' think you'll regret it too much in the end - there are lots of places selling repro/pirate Jaguar games now so some people are happy with them and others will be happy with the Jaguar SD card reader for playing games on. I think the opened box games may become less desirable over time and that's why I sold most of mine and only kept my sealed ones... In the end I'll buy the Jag SD card reader and will still have access to all the games I enjoyed over the years.

• Like 3

It always feels good to pare down collections when they aren't being used. I sold some of my Jag collection a few years ago, need to get on selling most of the rest of it. Homebrews aside, I could probably pare down to less than 10 commercial releases that I enjoy. And like others said, you can always grab the flash cart. I'd probably keep the system too, who knows what they'll cost in a year and maybe you'll want to revisit a game or two.

It wasn't easy to part with my Atari stuff,  but seeing how it sat unused in my basement while I used emulators to get my Atari fix, it didn't make sense to keep it either.  Now I know it went to people who will give it more use than I did.

So I don't regret it,  I do miss it from time to time, but then I remember how it wasn't getting used

• Like 1

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the comments. And @agradeneu, do you really want me to be less dramatic? That's half the fun of posts on AtariAge!

Yeah... so in the end, I'm keeping 20 of my most favorite games that, when I would actually play the Jaguar, these were the ones I would play. I'm selling a lot of really good ones... but I feel really good about it. 

Ultimately, I would really, really love to see the home brew community make their games available for the Atari VCS. I know this isn't the Atari VCS forum, so I apologize... but I would kill to have @Orion_'s Elansar and Philia on the VCS, along with the @Songbird games, and the ones from @PikoInteractive, etc. I really hope they consider this. Although most of the proceeds will go into my daughter's 529 education account, I would happily buy many of these on the VCS when/if they become available. I might still pick up a few Jaguar carts now and then if it really strikes me, rather than just automatically buying every single Jaguar cart that comes out.

• Like 7

40 minutes ago, 82-T/A said:

I would kill to have @Orion_'s Elansar and Philia on the VCS

A Windows version of those two games is available, and the VCS is basically a PC running Linux, so in the worst case you could possibly use Wine to play them on the VCS.

Also, while Orion_'s site doesn't mention it, I think he made Linux versions of some of these games at one time ; but I can't remember if Elansar and Philia are among those.

1 hour ago, 82-T/A said:

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the comments. And @agradeneu, do you really want me to be less dramatic? That's half the fun of posts on AtariAge!

Yeah... so in the end, I'm keeping 20 of my most favorite games that, when I would actually play the Jaguar, these were the ones I would play. I'm selling a lot of really good ones... but I feel really good about it. 

Ultimately, I would really, really love to see the home brew community make their games available for the Atari VCS. I know this isn't the Atari VCS forum, so I apologize... but I would kill to have @Orion_'s Elansar and Philia on the VCS, along with the @Songbird games, and the ones from @PikoInteractive, etc. I really hope they consider this. Although most of the proceeds will go into my daughter's 529 education account, I would happily buy many of these on the VCS when/if they become available. I might still pick up a few Jaguar carts now and then if it really strikes me, rather than just automatically buying every single Jaguar cart that comes out.

You just told everyone that you did not play the Jaguar for a over a year and that is why you decided to get rid of it. Good.

So why you need ports of Jaguar games for your VCS??

Makes no sense IMO, if you are eager to play Jaguar games why not keep it?  But you just said you have no use for it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, agradeneu said:

You just told everyone that you did not play the Jaguar for a over a year and that is why you decided to get rid of it. Good.

So why you need ports of Jaguar games for your VCS??

Makes no sense IMO, if you are eager to play Jaguar games why not keep it?  But you just said you have no use for it.

Lol, who's the one being emotional now?

I play the Atari VCS... it's new, it's hooked up to my TV, I've been playing it... I don't play games much at all, but I have played it. It's better / easier to have it all stored on a machine rather than have to mess with carts. If I had all the Jaguar games on the VCS, it would be great.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, 82-T/A said:

Lol, who's the one being emotional now?

I play the Atari VCS... it's new, it's hooked up to my TV, I've been playing it... I don't play games much at all, but I have played it. It's better / easier to have it all stored on a machine rather than have to mess with carts. If I had all the Jaguar games on the VCS, it would be great.

I am not emotional, just rational.  Jaguar devs won't port their games to the VCS just because it happens that you sold your collection and you want to rebuy them cheap for your VCS.

Edited by agradeneu

1 minute ago, agradeneu said:

I am not emotional, just rational.  Jaguar devs won't port their games to the VCS just because it happens that you sold your collection and you want to rebuy them cheap for your VCS.

You don't make friends very easily, do you?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

There is nothing wrong in downsizing if you don't care for the stuff any longer and there is good money to be made. For various reasons I've been selling off quite a lot in the past year and will continue to do so as long those are items I can live without and which improve my bank account more than $10 at a time. Besides I get to feel a tiny bit like Marie Kondo, though I'm by no means as extreme as her theories suggest.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, 82-T/A said:

rather than just automatically buying every single Jaguar cart that comes out

Well crap, I'm not gonna keep working on my game if people aren't going to buy it regardless of its quality. What's next? Demanding a completion date before you'll pay full price for a pre-order? Expectations are just getting out of hand here.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

I'm not understanding what warrants such an aggressive, confrontational response here.

...anyway...

I have a small handful of novelties that I poke around for every so often looking for a deal. Over the years this patient approach earned me a nice, but modest collection of Dreamcast hardware. I got the official arcade stick for $30 ($100) and Samba de Amigo Maracas for $50 ($125+) among other stuff.

There are some things however that you've just gotta bite the balls and pay the price. I spent maybe a decade waiting to find a decent price on an ASCII Pad FT but they're too in-demand. I eventually just paid the $100 for one on impulse. Jaguar stuff definitely falls into this category. Sellers are aware of the high prices this shit sells for. They know what they have, and buys know what they're looking for. The odds that I'll ever encounter one in the wild is slim to none, I don't ever see even common retro-gaming stuff in thrift stores anymore. Back in the day I'd almost always see some obscure old gaming stuff on my trips to Savers.

I don't have a Jaguar and never have, it's just been a morbid curiosity for a few years now. The price of entry is waaay too much for a novelty, especially given my budget. But maybe if I feel like scratching that itch in a year or two and haven't touched my aforementioned Dreamcast stuff in a while, I'll see if selling it could fetch enough $$$ to live my Jaguar fantasy. Once the GameDrive has CD support, the full library of games will be about as accessible to me as they've ever been (or will be anytime soon).

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Buffalo Biff Burgertime said:

I'm not understanding what warrants such an aggressive, confrontational response here.

...anyway...

I have a small handful of novelties that I poke around for every so often looking for a deal. Over the years this patient approach earned me a nice, but modest collection of Dreamcast hardware. I got the official arcade stick for $30 ($100) and Samba de Amigo Maracas for $50 ($125+) among other stuff.

There are some things however that you've just gotta bite the balls and pay the price. I spent maybe a decade waiting to find a decent price on an ASCII Pad FT but they're too in-demand. I eventually just paid the $100 for one on impulse. Jaguar stuff definitely falls into this category. Sellers are aware of the high prices this shit sells for. They know what they have, and buys know what they're looking for. The odds that I'll ever encounter one in the wild is slim to none, I don't ever see even common retro-gaming stuff in thrift stores anymore. Back in the day I'd almost always see some obscure old gaming stuff on my trips to Savers.

I don't have a Jaguar and never have, it's just been a morbid curiosity for a few years now. The price of entry is waaay too much for a novelty, especially given my budget. But maybe if I feel like scratching that itch in a year or two and haven't touched my aforementioned Dreamcast stuff in a while, I'll see if selling it could fetch enough $$$ to live my Jaguar fantasy. Once the GameDrive has CD support, the full library of games will be about as accessible to me as they've ever been (or will be anytime soon).

Using Asperger's syndrome to insult sb is OK for you? The reponse he got on that is well deserved. 

On 2/12/2021 at 1:53 AM, 82-T/A said:

I'm already regretting it... but it's all going into my 529 Education account. All my daughter talks about is going to MIT... she's 12, so I have some time, but I only have like $23k in her college education account. I know I need like $120k total... haha, so I'm $100k off. She was really upset that I was selling my Atari Jaguar stuff, and she insisted that I keep Custodian... so I guess I'll keep one of my Jaguars and Custodian... lol.

But I told her all the money I make, I'm putting it into her 529.

I'm sorry to bring politics into this, but it's really messed up how you guys have to pay to go to college. I can imagine it really makes parents worry during their children's upbringing.

• Like 2