IGNORED

Fading Screen

Mr.JT

I just replaced the screen in my Lynx with the BennVenn one.  (Non solder version ).  The lynx worked fine before the change just the screen was a little washed out.

The new screen works great for a few moments but then slowly fades away (see video)?

The brightness dial helps briefly until the dial is all the way over and then it continues to fade to black. Strangely moving the brightness dial down (rather than up) temporarily increases the brightness.  Music and everything else appears to continue. And turning the device off causes the screen to flash fully on briefly.

Turning the lynx back on again after that only goes to a black screen. Leaving it for a few hours and turning it on then the screen comes on again and fades out... (batteries left in)

Is this a capacitor issue?  What should I be looking at to fix?

Is this one of the new solderless Bennscreens? I haven't installed one of them yet as I've only installed the older solder in Benn screens and the McWill kits.

Are you only using Batteries here? Does it do the same on AC power?

And besides the screen, was anything else replaced such as the caps and power stage components?

I know the version apparently has extra stuff in place to help prevent damage to the LCD kit if the power goes wonky, although I've heard that someone the new power stuff in the LCD protects the lynx as well? But I've not confirmed that myself.

Oh that stinks.  I was tempted by the "solderless" screen.  I cannot solder worth a Sh)t.   Anyway, sorry to hear of your troubles with this mod.  I hope there is a resolution, a fix that all can learn from.  A McWill screen mod fried one of my good Lynxes.  Never again. I will live with the old tech for now.  I am hoping the Analogue Pocket will take into the future of playing Lynx (with real cards).  No more expensive assed mods for me. 

2 hours ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

Is this one of the new solderless Bennscreens? I haven't installed one of them yet as I've only installed the older solder in Benn screens and the McWill kits.

Are you only using Batteries here? Does it do the same on AC power?

And besides the screen, was anything else replaced such as the caps and power stage components?

I know the version apparently has extra stuff in place to help prevent damage to the LCD kit if the power goes wonky, although I've heard that someone the new power stuff in the LCD protects the lynx as well? But I've not confirmed that myself.

Yes it’s the new one.  I don’t have an AC adapter - have always used it on batteries (and was fine doing so until right before the mod). I’ve heard a lot of the adapters can be pretty dodgy too so figured new batteries most likely to be the most consistent.

i didn’t replace anything else, just removed the inductor that was used to drive the old higher voltage screen.

The behaviour does seem like some sort of voltage leak though?

1 hour ago, gilsaluki said:

Oh that stinks.  I was tempted by the "solderless" screen.  I cannot solder worth a Sh)t.   Anyway, sorry to hear of your troubles with this mod.  I hope there is a resolution, a fix that all can learn from.  A McWill screen mod fried one of my good Lynxes.  Never again. I will live with the old tech for now.  I am hoping the Analogue Pocket will take into the future of playing Lynx (with real cards).  No more expensive assed mods for me. 

The solderless install was really easy. Open up. Cut one inductor and plug in two ribbon cables and close up again. And screen looked amazing for the few seconds it was on...!

certainly way easier than the soldering versions 

I didn't think anything had to be removed from this new mod at all? Eitherway, I always advise that at least the power stage components get replaced. It does look like voltage is dropping off on the screen. I've got two of these new versions I received about 2 weeks ago but hadn't looked at them. I know the older solder in kit sometimes had issues on the small power daughter board on the new LCD where I would basically touch up all the solder on it to make sure as I had one client whose screen just stopped working about a week after they got it. Another member told them to touch up the solder on that small board and they got it working again so I've always made it a point to do the same on anything that even remotely looks suspect on them.

But yes, double check if it has the small power board on it and see if any of that might need to be touched up. Aside from that I can only advise to try replacing the power stage components. 

If you had a bench power supply, you could set it to a straight +5v and attach it to the bypass cap near C41 I think it is on the Lynx II to rule out the power components.

1 hour ago, gilsaluki said:

The solderless install was really easy. Open up. Cut one inductor and plug in two ribbon cables and close up again. And screen looked amazing for the few seconds it was on...!

certainly way easier than the soldering versions 

1 hour ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

I didn't think anything had to be removed from this new mod at all? Eitherway, I always advise that at least the power stage components get replaced. It does look like voltage is dropping off on the screen. I've got two of these new versions I received about 2 weeks ago but hadn't looked at them. I know the older solder in kit sometimes had issues on the small power daughter board on the new LCD where I would basically touch up all the solder on it to make sure as I had one client whose screen just stopped working about a week after they got it. Another member told them to touch up the solder on that small board and they got it working again so I've always made it a point to do the same on anything that even remotely looks suspect on them.

But yes, double check if it has the small power board on it and see if any of that might need to be touched up. Aside from that I can only advise to try replacing the power stage components. 

If you had a bench power supply, you could set it to a straight +5v and attach it to the bypass cap near C41 I think it is on the Lynx II to rule out the power components.

Hi

Sorry are you saying touch up the solder on the new LCD unit?

Apologies if I’m being a bit thick!

Well I just looked at the new screens. Looks much construction overall as what they used to look like so I'm not sure. But again you need to verify if the power drain is coming from the lack of current from the batteries or something else.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/28/2021 at 11:09 PM, Kiwi said:

Lynx model I usually fades screen when the batteries are running low. The symptom seems to be low power.  Did you try using fresh batteries? 

Hi

yes brand new (and multiple different sets of) batteries.

Maybe something to do with voltage regulation? just don’t know where to look / what to test?

JT

Well I just fully recapped, replaced the power stage components and installed one of these screens into a Lynx II yesterday. Works great! The only issue I have is that the new ribbon cable is a bit on the short side in regards to length. It was tricky to get that smaller portion plugged into the LCD driver board. If it were a little longer, you would have more room to get your fingers in there. 

I was testing the functionality of this one by connecting my bench supply directly to the battery terminals and setting it to 9v. I also tested with an actual AC PSU plugged in and the screen worked for several play sessions I was testing it with.

So yours does sound like some power issue. Have you tried it with an actual PSU plugged into it to provide it full voltage and current?