IGNORED

Aspect ratio in recording from Altirra

Sikor

Ok, I use old version of altira, maybe this is the problem (or not?) - 2,81. When I recording video from it - i get video look as old arcade machine with vertical monitors. I emulate standard video with PAL machine, no artifacting. No one  from video presets give me good results?

====================================

ok, in 3,90 is ok.

Edited by Sikor
more info

Yes, 2.81 is four years old and there was a major upgrade for video recording capability in 3.90. The original thinking was that video recording in the emulator was minimal and you would be post-processing the video anyway, so it only recorded raw video. 3.90 adds enough video processing capability that you can go direct to publishing in some cases with the output. However, the Media Foundation encoder is not always the best, so you can still get faster and higher quality encoding with an external editor or encoder.

If you are going to post-process the video, it's better not to do the aspect correction in the emulator as this will require more CPU time and produce a bigger video file during recording. The aspect ratios used for correction are 0.857:1 for NTSC and 1.04:1 for PAL, with an additional 2:1 or 1:2 depending on artifacting, interlacing, and VBXE options.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sikor said:

Thanks, @phaeron for reply. I want recording some video and cut it - probably in Yours (too - thanks again) VirtualDub and next publish it probably in youtube.

One more question - I an't get RLE compression, it is normally or/and I must install some external codec for it? (Windows 10).

The MSRLE codec is installed with Windows 10, but Altirra doesn't use it, it has its own internal encoder for the format because I don't want to deal with broken codecs in the emulator. MSRLE only supports 8-bit and 16-bit video, so if you have any scaling options or video effects enabled that require 24-bit RGB output, you can't use this format and the emulator will throw an error.

Also, YMMV will vary on whether programs can open it since many programs no longer use codecs installed in Windows and don't bother supporting such an old format. It's included mainly because it's a dirt simple format for how effective it generally is on Atari graphics, though ZMBV is much more effective as a lossless format.