IGNORED

Saturn Rhea: game list organization using Rmenu

rayik

I have a gdemu's  Sega Saturn Rhea ODE.  The device works great but organizing game lists is not that easy.    I've played with Rmenu rather extensively and you can really do some really interesting game organizing.

I do not like alphabetical lists of games. I like to organize by genre. such as:

action

adventure
fighters
. 2d
. 3d
[etc]

With everdrives and the dreamcast usb-gdrom it is easy to do as it allows folders and nested folders.

I found with Rmenu you can organize similarly without using folders. Rmenu displays lists that are 24 lines long. You can thus create 24 line "pages" to organize games. Rmenu "L" and "R" button presses advance the display to the next 24 line "page." You can thus create lists of games with genres lists on specific "pages"

In creating the file structure, I created folders that contained games. Where I wanted "blank" spots I just put a text file in the folder.

In editing the Rmenu folder, I found you could not have a blank ("") name for a game. If you did, it would not properly create the list and selecting games would not work. However, you could put a dot (".") as a game name and it would create the list fine and game selection worked ok.

By doing this you can create a very readable list of games. You just have to organize in 24 line "pages."

With the 128GB card, I ended up with 407 folders containing about 200 games. I've attached the rmenu.ini file so you can see how I used genre names, dots and cues to go to next page to organize it by24 line "pages." I've also attached my working "index to sd card" which is much more readable. Just to give a feel for how the organization can work, below are a couple of 24 lines "pages" of the Rmenu display I use.

01 = RMENU
02 = .
03 = .
04 = .
05 = *******  ACTION  *******
06 = .
07 = .
08 = BURNING RANGERS
09 = GRIDRUNNER
10 = GUNGRIFFON - THE EURASIAN CONFLICT
11 = MASS DESTRUCTION
12 = MECHWARRIOR 2
13 = MR BONES (DISC 1)
14 = MR BONES (DISC 2)
15 = SHINOBI LEGIONS
16 = SKELETON WARRIORS
17 = SONIC 3D BLAST
18 = SOVIET STRIKE
19 = TOMB RAIDER
20 = VIRTUAL-ON
21 = .
22 = .
23 = .
24 = (MORE ON NEXT PAGE)

265 = *******  SHUMPS  *******
266 = .
267 = .
268 = *******  A LIST  *******
269 = .
270 = .
271 = BATSUGUN
272 = BATTLE GAREGGA
273 = DARIUS GAIDEN
274 = DARIUS 2
275 = DODONPACHI
276 = GUNBIRD
277 = LAYER SECTION
278 = LAYER SECTION 2
279 = PANZER DRAGOON
280 = PANZER DRAGOON ZWEI
281 = RADIANT SILVER GUN
282 = SALAMANDER DELUXE PACK
283 = SOUKYU GURENTAI
284 = THUNDER FORCE GOLD PACK 1
285 = THUNDER FORCE GOLD PACK 2
286 = THUNDER FORCE V
287 = .
288 = (MORE ON NEXT PAGE)

index to sd card.txt Rmenu.ini for 128gb a-list.txt

• Like 2

That's a really cool idea! I only have about 86 games in total on my Rhea however, as that is all I own in my physical library. So it hasn't been that big a deal to just have all of my games in Alpha order. I only have a few pages to scroll through anyway to find the game I want to play. But I might play with this idea a bit someday if I add to my library of games or decide to organize them differently.