IGNORED

NETWORK DOESN'T SEE RASBERRY PI

jblenkle

Can someone help? If I load RetroPie on my Rasberry Pi 4, it shows up on my Network.

If I load the Rasberry Pi OS, the device doesn't show up on my network.

Why? Is there something in the RetroPie startup script that tells it to show up on the network list that's not there in the OS startup script? Or is there some other reason?

When you say network-   is it not getting an IP address and connecting?

Or you can't browse and copy files to it from Windows?

If it's the latter,  RetroPie may have configured a software package named Samba, that provides Windows networking functions,   Raspberry Pi OS may require you to install this

27 minutes ago, zzip said:

When you say network-   is it not getting an IP address and connecting?

Or you can't browse and copy files to it from Windows?

If it's the latter,  RetroPie may have configured a software package named Samba, that provides Windows networking functions,   Raspberry Pi OS may require you to install this

It has an IP address and it is connected as I can use the web browser that installs with the Rasberry Pi OS to go on the Internet. But when I boot the Rasberry Pi OS, it does not show up as a network device on my PC so I can't access it or see any of the files.

The opposite is true when booting RetroPie. It shows up as a network device on my PC and I can freely transfer files between my PC and the Rasberry Pi.

I've seen mention of Samba, but being new to all this I don't know what it is or does. I will go hunt for it and see if that is the solution. Thanks!!!

7 minutes ago, jblenkle said:

It has an IP address and it is connected as I can use the web browser that installs with the Rasberry Pi OS to go on the Internet. But when I boot the Rasberry Pi OS, it does not show up as a network device on my PC so I can't access it or see any of the files.

The opposite is true when booting RetroPie. It shows up as a network device on my PC and I can freely transfer files between my PC and the Rasberry Pi.

I've seen mention of Samba, but being new to all this I don't know what it is or does. I will go hunt for it and see if that is the solution. Thanks!!!

Couldn't you use SFTP and Filezilla? That's what I do.

31 minutes ago, jblenkle said:

Most likely RetroPie configured Samba by default for convenience

This guide should help you get it set up on Raspberry Pi OS

https://sbcguides.com/configure-a-raspberry-pi-samba-share/

39 minutes ago, zzip said:

Most likely RetroPie configured Samba by default for convenience

This guide should help you get it set up on Raspberry Pi OS

https://sbcguides.com/configure-a-raspberry-pi-samba-share/

Well, I made some progress!!! Using the guide from the link you provided, the Rasberry Pi now shows up on my PC in the Network, but I can't access the shared folder that was created. I'll have to go back and try to figure out what I did wrong. At least I'm closer than I was!!! Thanks!!!

2 minutes ago, jblenkle said:

Well, I made some progress!!! Using the guide from the link you provided, the Rasberry Pi now shows up on my PC in the Network, but I can't access the shared folder that was created. I'll have to go back and try to figure out what I did wrong. At least I'm closer than I was!!! Thanks!!!

Great news!    It's probably a matter of sorting out permissions now