IGNORED

What type of game would you come up with, that uses a controller that is not supported on the 7800?

CPUWIZ

Musical keyboard for a kids educational musical game - no need to velocity sensitivity or aftertouch or any such advanced MIDI stuff, just simply digital keys arranged in a matrix. 32 switches would give you over 2-1/2 octaves, which is plenty. With 4 digital inputs on each of  the joystick connectors, it wouldn’t take much support logic to mux the signals properly. 

12 hours ago, ZylonBane said:

Theremin Hero, controlled by a theremin.

One could hack a Theremin to act as a touch-free analog trackball. I wish I was better with electronics to be able to attempt this myself.  ?

Edit: I guess it's been done already:

• Haha 1

Everyone is funny, and I just will put out something serious(ly impossible):

a Jedi-game with a lightsaber-stick...

Or perhaps a chessgame, with a chessboard-shaped conteoller-board which have slots for chess-pieces which, when placed within a square, sends a joystick signal to the grfx on the screen.

Each controller comes with 24 digital chess-pieces.

ok ... the last one wasn’t serious...

Edited by Giles N
  • Like 1

Actually, when I thought about it; the 7800 do have one special controller almost not used: the lightphaser.

Why not make some sort of Aliens in outer-space LightPhaser gun-game with full PokeyOne music?

The system is kinda short on light-gun games...

Edited by Giles N

30 minutes ago, Giles N said:

Each controller comes with 24 digital chess-pieces.

Possible, with RFID, not sure anyone is up to programming a chess game though.

AAKeMon - Collect'Em All!  (3D printed RFID AA figures) :ponder:

12 minutes ago, CPUWIZ said:

Not impossible, first mention of motion control.

How would you make it work, as to give a sense of Light-saber fighting?

No, noooh, noooOOOHHH!

IT’S IMPOSSIBLE

(here I let go of the sides of the couch, and throws myself on the floor weeping and sweating and drooling).

Edited by Giles N

1 minute ago, Giles N said:

How would you make it work, as to give a sense of Light-saber fighting?

I am just interested in input control schemes, of all sorts.  How to interpret motion data would be up to the programmer.

13 minutes ago, CPUWIZ said:

I am just interested in input control schemes, of all sorts.  How to interpret motion data would be up to the programmer.

The light-phaser point could be active part of the light-saber, and either repel or block the enemies lightsaber which is shown as grfx on screen as large character with grfx saber, the saber made of sprites , and are programmed ‘to look for’ detection by lightphaser...

Hit saber, the enemies saber is hindered as long as you keep your aim on it.

If your’ phaser is ‘on’, and hitting an enemy, you’ve cut him with your lightsaber...

Edited by Giles N

On 3/5/2021 at 7:35 PM, CPUWIZ said:

Just curious, because I keep thinking of silly crap like 7800 Band Games, with all the new sound possibilities.

EDIT:

1. Tempest with a true spinner.
  2. Star Wars with a yoke.
  3. Millipede with a Trak-Ball.
  4. Zork with a keyboard.
  5. Some kind of game show- jeopardy, wheel of fortune, etc. I'd want a full qwerty keyboard for that.
  6. An actual driving controller would be cool. Pedals and everything.
  7. How about a modern display friendly light gun for games like Chiller, Duck Hunt, Hogan's Alley or an "on rails" shooter?
  8. Marble madness with a trackball 
  9. Sinistar with a 49 way optical stick
  10. How about a stompable mat ala the NES Power Pad?
  11. A snowboard/surfboard type game with a balance board
  12. I just will put out something seriously possible: a Jedi-game with a lightsaber-stick... (motion control)
  13. Or perhaps a chessgame, with a chessboard-shaped conteoller-board which have slots for chess-pieces which, when placed within a square, sends a joystick signal to the grfx on the screen. (RFID)
  14. Why not a mouse?

If anyone could figure out how to reverse engineer the interface chip for the unreleased 7800 Keyboard, it would be you...

That would be pretty nice... a keyboard with a functioning SIO Port and a pass-thru Joystick Port. 

7 minutes ago, Lynxpro said:

If anyone could figure out how to reverse engineer the interface chip for the unreleased 7800 Keyboard, it would be you...

Many people could figure that out, but what would be the point?  Nobody has one and modern tech is cheaper and more accessible. 

I'll put pass-through and SIO on the idea list though.  Updating it now. 

Thanks everyone, so far.  Good stuff. ?

• Like 3

Let's see... thought exercise...

1. Already mentioned the 7800 Keyboard. A ported MIDI Maze with its built-in chat feature could work. Paired with a FujiNet for use with the 7800 Keyboard's SIO Port.

2. A replacement PCB following GCC's modifications to the original CX22 Trak-Ball Controller. Then GCC's actual Centipede would have native Trak-Ball support out of the box. Dan Kramer said their design wasn't affordable for 1984-86 but that wouldn't be an issue today. One would still have to drill holes in the CX22 to install the 2nd fire button though.

3. A repro version of the AndroMan/AtariMan and a hacked copy of Robotron: 2084 for it to "interact" with. [someone could design a proper mat for it too]. F U, Nintendo R.O.B. Although it would be funny for Atari homebrews to actually use R.O.B. That would infuriate a lot of folks at the unoriginal NintendoAge. [Good!].

4. Adapter for connecting the AtariVox to the Expansion Port. That seriously can't take up much of that Port's extremely limited bandwidth. [correct me if I'm way wrong, CPU]. Since the QuadTari doesn't support the 7800's 2nd Fire Button.

5. Crystal Castles with a cart-based ARM or something to handle Bentley Bear's movements in native Trak-Ball mode. Almost everyone with Trak-Ball coding experience has said that the 2600 version and both of the A8 versions have too busy of kernels to support native Trak-Ball mode without Bentley Bear flying all over the screen due to the 650x being overwhelmed by constantly tracking Sir Bentley's position and movements.

6. See #1. Some form of SIO Port functionality. Not only good for MIDI Maze but also then with the inevitable 8bit-Slicks port.

7. Crossbow hacked to support native Trak-Ball mode. That goes for all of the light gun games.

8. Not for the 7800 but the 5200! A RAM expansion board + PIA that plugs into the ANTIC socket and thus the 5200 could finally have 64K RAM+ and SIO support for more easier porting of A8 games to the Mighty 52. Coupled with a 1MB ROM Cart design and A8 Space Harrier could be ported and played on the CX53 Trak-Ball Controller, as Crom himself originally intended.

Edited by Lynxpro

8 minutes ago, CPUWIZ said:

Many people could figure that out, but what would be the point?  Nobody has one and modern tech is cheaper and more accessible. 

I'll put pass-through and SIO on the idea list though.  Updating it now. 

Thanks everyone, so far.  Good stuff. ?

Good point...  reverse engineer the idea. :)

The light gun thing for modern screens. I wonder if wii motes and sensor bars could be used. Sensor bar plugged into an adapter that does bluetooth to the wii mote. Software converts signals then plugs into the ports on the 7800. 

Lots of controllers out there for very cheap. Of course all of this is likely BS cause I have no idea of this could actually be accomplished.

This wii mote has rumble accelerometer and also a speaker. The uses with that controller pretty much cover everything. Especially with the nunchuck plugged in. You could even use boards and sockets from old wiis.

Now this old wii needs to get to work!

Edited by Jinks
  • Like 1