IGNORED

eBay.ca Won' let me select a country

I would like to bid on an item, sold by a member of this forum, on ebay.ca, the Canadian version of ebay. I created an account, but when I try to add contact information, it doesn't work. I select United States, and ebay instantly changes it back to Canada. I don't live in Canada. What do I do to force ebay.ca to accept my location?

Does the seller offer shipping outside Canada ? Not sure, but if not, I think your "trick" will not work.

If this is your first ebay account (??), you will have to create it on your country´s (US? = .COM) website, with your home address there,

hoping the seller ships to US.

If you try to create a second account here, in Canada, with an US address, and to bypass the sellers policy "not to sell outside Canada", this will not work.

The only chance is (and you can/have to use an US account for this) :

1. to ask the seller if he ships to US

2. to ask a friend in Canada if you can use his address there for delivery

if possible, just enter the friends canadian address as second "delivery-address" into your US account

This is only my interpretation, better wait for more answers here (!) I can be wrong, as I am not from the US.

Good luck.

PS: @KG7PFS Why not asking him here on AA ? :grin:

Schmitzi, your advice has nothing to do with my problem. You assume I have set up my account and got as far as dealing with the seller. I have not. I can not.

I am trying to set up contact information in my account. My ebay.ca account is not connected with my ebay.com account. The item is not for sale on ebay.com.

When I first try to tell ebay.ca where I live, trying to set up my account for the first time, before I can add shipping addresses or payment information, I have to give ebay contact information. The first item in their form is the country. It is set to Canada. I click on the list and select "United States." Ebay changes it back to Canada.

I'd post a screenshot but how?

Edited by KG7PFS

One part of what I tried to mention is, I think one cannot have a canadian account with an address in the US.

I think, a canadian account is for canadian residence ;)

ScreenShot ? If you have Windows7-10 use the onboard "Snippingtool", and press CTRL-V here in the post to insert it from clipboard

• Like 1

In my experience, most American border communities have a firm that will handle purchases from vendors that will only ship to an American address. They will receive the parcel and, if required, reship it to the ultimate customer in Canada.  

I do not know if there are similar businesses in Canada (as I have no need of their services), but that may be something to consider. This would give you a Canadian ship-to address. 

What happens if you try to login to ebay.ca using your account details from ebay.com? While it is true that the market of items is different on each site, partly due to the fact that eBay shall have a chance to charge extra to market your auctions to other sites, I've generally found that my login details work on all sites without the need of setting up additional accounts.

Edited by carlsson

1 hour ago, carlsson said:

What happens if you try to login to ebay.ca using your account details from ebay.com? While it is true that the market of items is different on each site, partly due to the fact that eBay shall have a chance to charge extra to market your auctions to other sites, I've generally found that my login details work on all sites without the need of setting up additional accounts.

yes, but the delivery address will be the same: US, means outside Canada. And if the seller does not ship to US.... that´s his "problem"

He needs a friends address in Canada, as 2nd delivery address, to buy with, and to ship to.

And the friend has to reship it then to the US

(I heard about services doing this)

Yes indeed. I got the impression that he was trying to register on eBay Canada, but giving his actual shipping address in the US which the system refused to accept because the site is optimized for Canadian users. Sometimes a seller may offer international shipping, but due to not paying for advertising the item on other eBay sites, it won't show up in search results on e.g. eBay.com, which is why logging in with his regular account details on the eBay.ca site might make a difference in some cases. I know I've been bidding on items on e.g. eBay Germany that were set to offer international shipping but the seller didn't pay to cross-promote it to e.g. eBay UK so even if you searched worldwide on the UK site it wouldn't show up, but did if you went to the German one. It may sound super weird, but I suppose that is one way to make every penny and cent besides the fees they already charge from sellers.

• Like 1