IGNORED

State of Jaguar Emulation in 2021?

Jagosaurus

Hey not sure if you can help but if anyone has an idea it would be appreciated. I had Phoenix running and it worked very well but then I needed space on the system harddrive and moved some folders on another harddrive. Only afterwards did it cross my mind that I might have done a mistake because of the installed programs, but then again it doesn't look as if Phoenix was installed you just start it. Well to make it short...it doesn't start anymore. When I click on the exe-file and want to open it I just get a few seconds of the windows loading circle and then nothing happens. I downloaded it again, tried different version, it won't start anymore. I already cleaned the registry in hopes that whatever might have remained from me moving the files would dissapear but no luck. Anyone with an idea?

If all you did was move Phoenix from one HDD to another on the same computer, I don't know what would me messing it up.  I've personally copied Phoenix over to a different drive on the same computer and had no issue.  Does it work if you put it back on the old drive? Like if you moved it from drive C to D, move it back to C and see if it works?

56 minutes ago, sirlynxalot said:

If all you did was move Phoenix from one HDD to another on the same computer, I don't know what would me messing it up.  I've personally copied Phoenix over to a different drive on the same computer and had no issue.  Does it work if you put it back on the old drive? Like if you moved it from drive C to D, move it back to C and see if it works?

Hey thanks for the reply. Yeah that's what I did, I tried but it doesn't change anything. I redownloaded the emulator and tried starting it in the download folder, it won't start. :( Just the loading circle and then nothing.

17 hours ago, PeterG said:

Hey thanks for the reply. Yeah that's what I did, I tried but it doesn't change anything. I redownloaded the emulator and tried starting it in the download folder, it won't start. :( Just the loading circle and then nothing.

Try moving the Phoenix folder into the desk section of your computer. I have mine there and still works...

6 hours ago, KidGameR186496 said:

Try moving the Phoenix folder into the desk section of your computer. I have mine there and still works...

It doesn't work, no matter were I copy it. I copied it back to the C drive were it worked before. The only reaction I get is the loading circle and that's that. As if windows decided that it doesn't want to start it. No clue why this changed.

Edit: So it indeed looks as the program is crashing. I have several AppCrash Reports. Would posting one help anyone here identifying the problem? This is waaaaaay over my head.

Edited by PeterG

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, I am still trying to get this to run...again. Today I copied the folder on the root of my C : harddrive and when I tried to run Phoenix I got an error prompt:

"This application failed to start because it could not find or load the Qt platform plugin "windows".

Reinstalling the application may fix this problem."

So this one was new. The problem is that they qwindows.dll which this one is referring to according to my Google search is right where it belongs.

Any suggestions? :-D 

On 4/20/2021 at 1:34 PM, DrTypo said:

Maybe you could try registering the dll?

Open a command prompt in administrator mode in the dll's folder and type: regsvr32 /s qwindows.dll

So it it took a bit longer but I finally came around to trying your idea but unfortunatley the emulator still refuses to start. Nevertheless I appreciate the will to help. ? Thank you

No problems. :)

I checked myself and the regsvr32 command is useless on this dll: when you remove the /s switch (silence) it gives an error.

So that was a moot point.

Anyway I installed and moved the emulator and it works. Windows does seem to remember in the registry the various places where you put the emulator (search phoenix in the registry).

It don't really know where to go from here...

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

By the way my Phoenix Emulator runs again, don't know exactly what happened because I did not change anything from the state of non-running (if you discount several windows updates but I don't know if those would have changed anything). Anyway one of our fellow community members made me check again and offered help and voila I discovered that it works again. :-D  So thanks Dave, and Dr. Typo and KidGamer and everyone here who offered adive or help. Appreciated in all its ways. ?

• Like 1