Jump to content
Shift838

Smart Shutdown for TiPi and RPI!

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

I have proven it on a breadboard.

 

This uses a ATTINY85 to control the shutdown along with a Python helper script that runs to monitor.  This script can be ran as a service and load up when the Pi boots.

 

I did add some circuitry to allow for the unit to be hooked up to a Arduino Nano if the ATTINY85 ever needs to have it's firmware updated.

 

it doubles as a shutdown and and a power up button.  When powers down a simple quick press will power up the Pi.  Holding the button down for a few seconds will issue the shutdown command to shut the pi down nicely.

 

 

2021-03-11_18-08-47.png

Edited by Shift838
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think I recall you said you had a 3D printer.  If you make this available, can you have a box suitable to hold the board, and I guess velcro'd to the side of the PEBox?

 

I would hope something with a long enough cable to come around to the side of the PEBox  so the user doesn't have to supply any parts.

 

My 2 cents.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, 9640News said:

I think I recall you said you had a 3D printer.  If you make this available, can you have a box suitable to hold the board, and I guess velcro'd to the side of the PEBox?

 

I would hope something with a long enough cable to come around to the side of the PEBox  so the user doesn't have to supply any parts.

 

My 2 cents.

You are reading my mind.  That’s the plan..  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This will work with both the sidecar tipi, and sidecar 32k+tipi units?

Or is this intended for tipi-peb only?

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My understanding was that there was no need to shut down the TIPI, so I never do unless I'm doing some maintenance on the PEB. That said, when I do need to shut down, it can be cumbersome as I have to go in the TIPI Config program or TELNET into it to properly shut it down. Not to mention the times when I accidentally knocked off power to the TIPI. I can see the usefulness of that board from a convenience and safety standpoint to minimize the possibility of SD card corruption. How does it hook up the TIPI?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, jrhodes said:

This will work with both the sidecar tipi, and sidecar 32k+tipi units?

Or is this intended for tipi-peb only?

any raspberry pi it will work with.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Vorticon said:

My understanding was that there was no need to shut down the TIPI, so I never do unless I'm doing some maintenance on the PEB. That said, when I do need to shut down, it can be cumbersome as I have to go in the TIPI Config program or TELNET into it to properly shut it down. Not to mention the times when I accidentally knocked off power to the TIPI. I can see the usefulness of that board from a convenience and safety standpoint to minimize the possibility of SD card corruption. How does it hook up the TIPI?

the board (JP1 connector) hooks up to certain GPIO pins of the raspberry Pi. The PGM pins are used to update the firmware if needed from a Arduino UNO.

Edited by Shift838
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Would you be willing to post a schematic and BOM by any chance? I like to roll my own PCB's whenever possible :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i went ahead and ordered a batch of 3 to test.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I received the protoboards today.  Put one together and it works to control the shutdown. 

 

Now I have to design a 3D case for it.

 

 

 

 

IMG-2403.jpg

IMG-2402.jpg

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/12/2021 at 2:18 AM, jrhodes said:

This will work with both the sidecar tipi, and sidecar 32k+tipi units?

Or is this intended for tipi-peb only?

Yea would like one for the PEB TIPI!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/12/2021 at 4:18 AM, jrhodes said:

This will work with both the sidecar tipi, and sidecar 32k+tipi units?

Or is this intended for tipi-peb only?

This will work for any Raspberry Pi.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...