IGNORED

Geneve FORTH

GDMike

Ok, after making sure ALL the support files are in one folder before launching FORTH from MDOS, I don't get the FLOAD error I was getting.

But I do get a different error, and it may be related to the block file that I pushed.

I'll look more tomorrow.

In the meantime as I have written earlier I'm trying to get edit mode to function.

This time my declare works so I follow the book on making sure I have a work file set first and then I declare the ea/asm and set the library to ea/asm.

And it actually changed the library and when I do "WORDS", I get twice as many words as I got on the previous library. I get "TIME",  "DATE", "SCHEDULER" and a whole bunch more, but no EDIT.

So it's starting to come together so I can figure out what I'm doing wrong.

I've yet figured out if I'm in version 1.0 or 2.0 , maybe I can figure that out tomorrow too.

I can't wait to get a listing of all the words tomorrow, and their libraries.

I haven't yet found any documentation describing each library. But again I haven't read the documentation fully yet there's a lot oh by the way partially because I've been piecing together the documentation from hex editor. But today the manual came in for 1.0.

so this will help a lot but I ended up being so tired from doing gardening, working on the car, taking one of my kids to get a suit for his prom, doing laundry, cooking, and I'm still sore in my left hip from my gardening activity the last couple days that I'm taking an early rest.

But getting back to FORTH+ for a minute, I was very excited to say things like time and date and scheduler, and the level of highly generated words it's making me feel gitty.

• Like 2

The books instructions..

But no EDIT listed...

Here's a list of WORDS after I called the ED/ASM library.

I had a ramdisk set in my autoexec but I've removed it. As the manual says, maybe reduce or delete it if you are having problems.

So I deleted it, and darn, still no editor.

IMG_20210323_084050.jpg

IMG_20210323_083536758.jpg

Edited by GDMike

So I started thinking, maybe buffers are used up, nope as seen here.

But I'm glad to see that I have vwtr vsbw VBMW as words again.

Also, TEXT80 and  TEXT.

so my graphics words are there. It's slowly becoming a system, but I need an editor.

BTW, there is nothing in my autoexec file

So that's not the reason for my lack of the EDIT word.

IMG_20210323_090459083.jpg

Edited by GDMike

OMG. Have you seen this word? 

"CLI" 

Unbelievable..

If I'm in Forth+ and type this word.

It puts me into MDOS for a 1 command entry to be run at the MDOS command shell.

For example: I'm in Forth+ and type CLI in the command line.

I get a cursor flashing at the bottom of the screen.

I now type a MDOS command, such as DIR and MDOS gives me a directory of Drive A:, my last drive accessed.

Then the MAGIC happens, I'm put back into FORTH+ after the DIR command finished.

Awesome.

Edited by GDMike
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, GDMike said:

"CLI" 

Unbelievable..

I now type a MDOS command, such as DIR and MDOS gives me a directory of Drive A:, my last drive accessed.

Then the MAGIC happens, I'm put back into FORTH+ after the DIR command finished.

Awesome.

Yes, I remember this well, for obvious reasons.  It's frequently very helpful.

The ability to interface with the CLI was based on disassembly of Picture Transfer I did back in the 90's with reverse engineering what Paul had coded into some programs.  I shared that code with several programmers at the time, however, I am not 100% sure if Mike obtained that code from me, or if he may have reverse engineered it himself...... or potentially Paul may have shared that code segment.  

There are several hard coded addresses in MDOS where users can identify specific pointers and mapping to accomplish an interface to the CLI.

Beery

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GDMike said:

As soon as initial booting stops, I get this error.

IMG_20210323_105927524_TOP.jpg

Obviously, you have a problem with the UTILITY Library, as shown by the MMSLIB i/o error.  Probably the reason you don't have access to the ED/ASM or any Forth+ Library for that matter; only the main Forth+ dictionary.  The MMSLIB must function for any library to be activated.

Edited by Bill R Sullivan
removed repeated words
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, 9640News said:

The ability to interface with the CLI was based on disassembly of Picture Transfer I did back in the 90's with reverse engineering what Paul had coded into some programs.  I shared that code with several programmers at the time, however, I am not 100% sure if Mike obtained that code from me, or if he may have reverse engineered it himself...... or potentially Paul may have shared that code segment.  

There are several hard coded addresses in MDOS where users can identify specific pointers and mapping to accomplish an interface to the CLI.

Beery

Hi Beery, it's very good to see you here and involved.  I haven't been involved for a long time; especially not in matters of the 9640 Geneve, of any configuration.

RetroBill (fdos)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bill R Sullivan said:

Hi Beery, it's very good to see you here and involved.  I haven't been involved for a long time; especially not in matters of the 9640 Geneve, of any configuration.

RetroBill (fdos)

Good seeing you here as well.  I've been back into the Geneve for over 4 years.  Moved to Kentucky, bought a house, and have an office large enough to accommodate everything.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, 9640News said:

Good seeing you here as well.  I've been back into the Geneve for over 4 years.  Moved to Kentucky, bought a house, and have an office large enough to accommodate everything.  

Sounds great!  I gave up on the Geneve when MESS didn't bring any new users to my Forth+, so I went back to the TI-99/4A and added the SNUG TI-99/4P, which I ended up expanding to the max, less ASCSI, because I already had 3 WHT SCSI controllers (2 x "F"s and 1 x "D").  Unfortunately, it all came to a sudden halt when my heart health started to tank.  However I'm doing better now after a TAVR procedure earlier this year, in-spite of an artery breaking in the process, but a stint was put in immediately, so only my recovery was extended somewhat.  As you've probably noticed I've turned over all my Geneve Forth+ development software and documents to GDMike, and I'm trying to help him from memory, yuck!  I'm also in the process of moving out of this way too big house to something much smaller and easier to cool in the hot summers we always have here in Northern Arizona.  Well, you should enjoy your Kentucky home along with your hobby for sure.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, GDMike said:

"CLI" 

Unbelievable..

Awesome.

All the big boy Forth's have that. Now you have one!  :) 

ANS Forth's SYSTEM command passes a string to the resident shell that woke up the Forth program.  CLI might do that too. (?) 

Even my old my old DOS HsForth from the '90s had it, although I re-named it to // 

hsforthCLI.png

• Thanks 2

I was like omg, because, here I was rebooting just because I didn't know where a file was on my gotek, and a simple directory would be the answer, wholla, answered my prayers with CLI... now if I can just figure out wth double hockeysticks is going on with the error I'm receiving....

Edited by GDMike

11 minutes ago, GDMike said:

I was like omg, because, here I was rebooting just because I didn't know where a file was on my gotek, and a simple directory would be the answer, wholla, answered my prayers with CLI... now if I can just figure out wth double hockeysticks is going on with the error I'm receiving....

Like I said earlier ask Ksarul, his memory is probably much better than mine.

RetroBill (fdos)

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, Bill R Sullivan said:

Like I said earlier ask Ksarul, his memory is probably much better than mine.

RetroBill (fdos)

Yes, maybe @Ksarul knows. But it may have been awhile for him too. Lol

I'm going to verify files first just to make sure there's no corruption happening.

thank you

59 minutes ago, GDMike said:

Is the AUTOEXEC file on all the Forth+ diskettes the same?  I have no idea what's on the 2nd 3.5" 720K diskette, but maybe it's key to the version 2.00 upgrade.  I've also noticed that I have two similar X4th99 documents that begin identically, but are very different by midway, so maybe I should attache it to a PM for you also.  I will check it out some more first.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Bill R Sullivan said:

Is the AUTOEXEC file on all the Forth+ diskettes the same?  I have no idea what's on the 2nd 3.5" 720K diskette, but maybe it's key to the version 2.00 upgrade.  I've also noticed that I have two similar X4th99 documents that begin identically, but are very different by midway, so maybe I should attache it to a PM for you also.  I will check it out some more first.

Yeah, I don't have a way to read those disks. I'll probably shoot them over to @Ksarul and have him take a peek.

Edited by GDMike

20 minutes ago, GDMike said:

Oh. I couldn't read the disks, my controller kept saying, error... so there either empty, written in a different format.

I can only read/write up to double side single density. These may be in a double density format.

Correct the 5.25" diskettes are DSDD/360K, and the 3.5" are DSQD/720K.   I also believe that I still have a Myarc 80 track controller with the Geneve AMA/AMB/AMC  modification.  Nope, it's gone.  I only knew that my SNUG BwG DSDD controller was gone for sure.  I do have a couple of TI controllers modified to DSSD 80 track/360K, but I don't think they would allow you to copy files from a DSDD diskette.  Maybe somebody knows better or has a DSDD controller to sell you.  I won't sell my Myarc HFDC PERIOD, even though I'm currently using a Myarc 80 track DSDD contoller in my SNUG TI PEB, which is non-functional until someone here fixes the SNUG EVPC for me, and I only have one of my 3 WHT SCSI controllers, and neither of my IDE cards any more.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bill R Sullivan said:

Correct the 5.25" diskettes are DSDD/360K, and the 3.5" are DSQD/720K.   I also believe that I still have a Myarc 80 track controller with the Geneve AMA/AMB/AMC  modification.  Nope, it's gone.  I only knew that my SNUG BwG DSDD controller was gone for sure.  I do have a couple of TI controllers modified to DSSD 80 track/360K, but I don't think they would allow you to copy files from a DSDD diskette.  Maybe somebody knows better or has a DSDD controller to sell you.  I won't sell my Myarc HFDC PERIOD, even though I'm currently using a Myarc 80 track DSDD contoller in my SNUG TI PEB, which is non-functional until someone here fixes the SNUG EVPC for me, and I only have one of my 3 WHT SCSI controllers, and neither of my IDE cards any more.

My controller would work, it's been modified, I'll just have to pull everything apart and move the cables, because it's set at 40 80 80 because I have a gotek attached as drive 1 and a hh floppy as drive 2. So I'll try it. They are write protected so I'm not tooooo worried...

What do you think, I've not done it as of yet 

4 minutes ago, InsaneMultitasker said:

With a Geneve, you can type SETDSK at the command line to set the tracks.

SETDSK 104  would set DSK1 to headstep 0, 40 tracks

SETDSK 108 would set DSK1 to headstep 0, 80 tracks

No need to open the case, etc. however, the settings do revert to the switch settings after  warm and cold restarts. 

But it's my disk 2 that I need have moved to the 80 spot of my controller cable disk 1 is my gotek. Does that make sense.