IGNORED

1050 Happy Drive Issues 1088XLD

rockdoc2010

Well I resurrected a 1050 Happy from numerous drives and attempts as well as a bad power supply which was problematic to say the least.

However, when I run Happy Software Suite 6.6 it states that no happy drives are present. It works great as a disk drive and all the lights work with the switches.

I am using Sdrivemax to load the ATR file and it loads but with no access to the physical floppy disk 1.

Do I need to send my ATR to a floppy? How would I do that?

Do I need to plug in my SIO2PC USB from Atarimax to read disk speeds. I did use that to set the RPM on my disk drives but that was prior to using the 1088XLD. OR Spartados!

Any 1050 GODS out there please respond...

Douglas

I had a Happy and think I remember the boot disk has to be booted from the Happy drive itself.

You need to set the 1050 to drive 2, boot from the SDrive and create the Happy boot drive floppy,

there should be a menu option to do this.

Alternatively use a normal disk copier to duplicator the disk from SDrive to 1050.

Unfortunately, my Happy was very UnHappy :) so I converted it to a USD drive as the problem

was with the Happy Board.

Just had a quick look at Happy_V7.0 and you can use Sector Copier, there are instructions.

Edited by TGB1718

The diagnostics require the drive to be in "Happy" mode which means it needs to be booted from a floppy in the drive,

unless boot from SDrive, remove the Sdrive and put the 1050 in as drive 1, might work: see below text from the program

ERROR!, Drive does not program!

Either it is not an ENHANCED drive,
or it is in UNHAPPY MODE.

To restore drive programibility:
1)remove diskette
2)turn off disk drive
3)wait 10 seconds
4)turn on drive

... HIT RETURN, RESTART

Edited by TGB1718

• 2 weeks later...

Try the happy 7.1 disks from here:
https://atariage.com/forums/topic/283666-archive-of-happy-backup-software/?do=findComment&comment=4127979

As long as the happy drive is online as D1: D2: D3: or D4: the software should detect it no matter which drive the utilities disk is booted from - the probe is done as soon as the first menu comes up.