IGNORED

Is the Atgames Genesis portable as bad as the atgames genesis plug and play.

MikeDijital777

I recently got the AtGames Atari portable and I really like it.  I saw they have a genesis version of this, but after watching the Rerez video about the Genesis console AtGames made im worried about the portable emulating the games as poorly as the console did .. has anyone tried the at games portable?

I have the portable but do not have the classic console but I believe it's basically the same.  I personally like it. Is it flawed? Yep. I think the main thing you need to ask yourself is how important is sound to you. The games play well for the most part but the sound is off. How off varies by game. I thinks these Atgames Sega systems take more of besting than they actually deserve. 

• Like 1

The handheld is as bad or worse if it's using the same firecore emulator, it'll say as much in the menu.  No games that save work, unless they put the game and hacked it into the menu, so if you use a real cart (like phantasy star 4) it won't save which is sooo dumb.  Sound is anywhere from somewhat to ear piercing bad, it's just not good or accurate.  Some games, popular ones, like Contra don't work at all.

The *ONLY* worth your money ATGames system is the 2019 revision alone of their console.  They finally gave up trying to screw it up themselves and licensed GenesisGX, an android emulator, since that system does finally run an android core, and that one is amazing.  It's equal to if not slightly better than the core Sega themselves used in their own HD mini console, but it does win out, since the sega doesn't use carts while the atgames does.

• Like 2

their handheld is good for someone who just wants to play the games it came with doesnt care about authentic sound and doesnt want to spend money.

I wouldnt use it myself, but I am picky if its not accurate I dont wanna play.

• Like 1

Im not a huge Genesis head, but there is a handful of games I do like.  I think I wouldn't notice it on cannon fodder, and would certainly hear it on Devils Crash or Sonic.  Ive been seeing them for around 40$ with shipping on ebay. Almost bought one but I keep hearing about the sound issues and wanted to see if it was youtubers making it a bigger deal for laughs, or if it really was painful to deal with .

Thanks everyone  ?

It's all about how much Genesis you have played back in the day. Many of us notice and can hardly play the games without half decent sound emulation. After all the unique sound of the Yamaha chip is a big part of the Genesis. It's the same as when you 'see something you can't unsee' and in this case hear...

Having said that im personally not a fan of flashbacks, minis and classics. I have a flashback 9 gold and a snes mini. Both i played once then and threw them back on the shelf as ornaments. I find other then the nes mini most have subpar emulation that makes the games unplayable. Hardly see the point when there is decent emulation for most classic consoles if you follow the scene.