IGNORED

How can I tell If my TV/Monitor accepts RGB?

AtariNostalgia

If you're testing whether a PAL display with SCART input supports RGB specifically (and don't have any evidence which would tell you otherwise), just make sure you're using a test source that only puts sync on the sync pin. 

The potential for confusion lies in the fact that  the SCART sync pin doubles as a Composite pin and both signals are carried by the same connector.  So a source can in effect provide both Composite and RGB colour on the same connector at the same time with the decision on whether to use Composite or RGB colour information being a decision left to the display. 

Using a source like a Mega Drive or Master System that has a dedicated "clean sync" pin separate from its composite pin would be an option, if you don't have a machine you happen to know doesn't output Composite. 

Well, it's official. None of my TV/Monitors accept an RGB input. My friend came over with a spectrum +3 with an RGB to SCART connection, we tried it on all 3 monitors, none could display the RGB signal.

Now the hunt starts for a new TV or Monitor, starting with the one Greg suggested. I have a feeling it wont be easy to find one...

Edited by AtariNostalgia

18 minutes ago, AtariNostalgia said:

Well, it's official. None of my TV/Monitors accept an RGB input. My friend came over with a spectrum +3 with an RGB to SCART connection, we tried it on all 3 monitors, none could display the RGB signal.

Now the hunt starts for a new TV or Monitor, starting with the one Greg suggested. I have a feeling it wont be easy to find one...

Why not using the OSSC Converter (you can find it on Amazon) and connect to a normal HDMI LCD TV/Monitor? It can multiply up to x5 the 240p input for a crisp image. No lag added. A ton of settings to play with (for scanlines, etc.). It has components/scart/vga input to use also with other retro computer/consoles (eg. Amiga).

Just a couple of images on a LG monitor as example.

20191113_185517.jpg

20191113_185628.jpg

20191113_185734.jpg

20 minutes ago, AtariNostalgia said:

That looks good, do you have a link?

This is on Amazon for Italy (OSSC Kaico), but there are various version/producers, since is an open source project.

The wiki page with the infos: OSSC - Classic Console Upscaler wiki (junkerhq.net). It accepts component, not composite. So you need a PAL TI99.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, AtariNostalgia said:

Does it accept composite as an input? How would I connect to it in order for it to output VGA?

The OSSC does not support Composite Input (only RGB and YPbPr - and it outputs digital rather than analogue).  Good for folks with an F18A (in which context I use one myself).  Also good for folks with a PAL TI-99 and a YPbPr cable, since those signals are available from the PAL chip. 

RetroTINK is the competing product which supports Composite and outputs digital, for what it's worth. 

Though it's a much more niche application in the present day, one product that specifically does both 15KHz Composite to 31KHz RGBHV (VGA) and 15KHz YPbPr to 31KHz RGBHV (VGA) is the Extron DVS304.  And I've used it for those purposes. 

• Like 2

If my memories are still good, the CPC464 monitor has proprietary connections made specifically only for that computer model.
Probably you can use it with an adaptator like this: https://www.ebay.it/itm/AMSTRAD-CTM-644-RGB-COLOUR-CPC-MONITOR-SCART-ADAPTER-CABLE-/390344578694
But to be honest I have no experience and never tried TI99 with that monitor.

• Like 1