IGNORED

Atari STF with bad video

I picked up an STF in bad shape a while ago.  Was able to fix some things, but I'm stumped with this one.

Same pattern in both low & med res.  Have not tried Hi-Res yet.  (My hi-res monitor is also on the fritz.  Prob. needs new caps.)

I've reseated all socketed chips, swapped the power supply with a known working one.  Also swapped the video chip, no changes.

Bad EPROM/RAM?  Bad capacitor?

(No floppy hooked up here.  Mouse and OS seem to work fine, just a video output issue...)

I'm going to dig deeper, but figured I could ask here first to save me some time, in case this has been seen before.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

IMG_20210320_223300.jpg

Edited by AbeOwitz

Thanks for the reply.  :-)

Right now, I'm running it though a Framemeister RGB to a Dell 2007 LCD.  My other ST's work fine with the Framemeister.  So, I'm pretty sure the problem is in this machine.

Well, this looks as bad filtering of power , especially if that bad area is moving slowly up/down.

Even if PSU is changed with one what works well in other ST it is possible. There is filtering with electrolyte capacitor on motherboard too.

So, if both (in PSU) and on MBO are weak, +5V, +12V might be bad.  Looking with oscilloscope is best what can do, before going in some component replacements.

7 hours ago, Cubeast said:

How is the condition of the Atari's monitor socket?  

It's good.

Note that the distortion occurs at the same vertical line all the time.  There's no rolling or randomness to it.  

7 hours ago, ParanoidLittleMan said:

Well, this looks as bad filtering of power , especially if that bad area is moving slowly up/down.

Even if PSU is changed with one what works well in other ST it is possible. There is filtering with electrolyte capacitor on motherboard too.

So, if both (in PSU) and on MBO are weak, +5V, +12V might be bad.  Looking with oscilloscope is best what can do, before going in some component replacements.

What's weird is the distortion occurs at exactly the same lines every frame.  There's no rolling or randomness to it.

So, whatever's wrong is occuring in sync with the video.

I just watched a video where the STFs didn't have circuitry for composite sync?  That on this model one can't just combine HSYNC and VSYNC?

Edit:  Found this, lessee if I have those components around...  resistors yes, diodes probably, maybe transistor...

https://www.atari-forum.com/viewtopic.php?p=310158&sid=5cabebd9f99a8943281e32ce45dc361b#p310158

IMG_20210321_112404.jpg

Edited by AbeOwitz