IGNORED

Epson MX80 emulation

I am actively developing my Epson MX80 printer emulator that produce printouts/graphics dump on screen or PDF files.  MAME have Epson AP2000 emulation and it worked so well.  I found a copy of MX80 ROM dumps on the Internet when I googled through.  I wrote 8048 emulator and disassembler that Epson MX80 use two microcontrollers (8049 and 8041).

I analyzed MX80 generic ROM image (one 2332 binary image) and Graphtrax-80 ROM images (three 2716 binary images).  I now learned that 2332 binary image do not have vector enties because they did not dump other missing contents from 8049 internal ROM.  Yes, that is possible to dump contents from all microcontrollers through EPROM programmer device.  2332 image showed that first half is program codes (000 - 7FF) and last half is font data (800 - FFF). 

Also I analyzed Graphtrax-80 ROM images (three 2716 images) and now learned that ROM #1 and ROM #3 have program codes.  ROM #3 has vector entries for startup routines.  ROM #2 contains all font data.  Then I examined code on ROM #3.  At vector entry (startup),  clearing accumulator and jump over vector #3 entry (interrupt routines) and clear all RAM data (128 bytes). Then sending data to slave 8041 or 8155 to move printer header back to home position so that I think, etc...

Does anyone have good dumps from 8049 and 8041 (internal program code)? I can't complete emulation without two missing contents. I can only complete emulation with Graphtrax-80 images.  I have a copy of MX80 technical manual that I found on the Internet.   Does anyone have a copy of MX100 ROM image? Or is that same as MX80 ROM image?

Also I have copy of FX80 technical manual that includes schematics but need FX80/FX100 ROM image dump and 8041 dump to implement emulation on my emulator.

Thanks

• Like 3

2 hours ago, The Usotsuki said:

Man, I wish I still had my IBM Graphics Printer (which I think is an MX80 with different ROMs to support CP437).

I bought an Epson Actionprinter 4000, a couple of years back, the kind still used by business to print carbon copy bill/invoices. It has dip switches to make it compatible to just about every older epson printers, including the MX/RX serie. I use it with my C64 presently since I don't have a centronic interface for my atari 130xe yet. Will have to find an old centronic switchbox when i do get one...

• 1 month later...
On 3/28/2021 at 8:47 AM, FSword007 said:

I analyzed MX80 generic ROM image (one 2332 binary image)...   2332 image showed that first half is program codes (000 - 7FF) and last half is font data (800 - FFF). 

Can you please describe the arrangement of the font data at 0x800-0xFFF?  I have seen the data, but it doesn't look like fonts.

19 minutes ago, scott451 said:

Can you please describe the arrangement of the font data at 0x800-0xFFF?  I have seen the data, but it doesn't look like fonts.

Just my assumption.  Some data and some small code for switching banks. I think so.

No one response my requests about additional ROM dumps from 8049 and 8041 chips.

4 hours ago, FSword7 said:

Just my assumption.  Some data and some small code for switching banks. I think so.

No one response my requests about additional ROM dumps from 8049 and 8041 chips.

Well, then it is very possible that the fonts are in the 8049 rom as they would not need to change...   I was able to decode GX rom2 and find font data.  But it does not match the mx-80 fonts from the manual.

6 hours ago, scott451 said:

Well, then it is very possible that the fonts are in the 8049 rom as they would not need to change...   I was able to decode GX rom2 and find font data.  But it does not match the mx-80 fonts from the manual.

Ok, I do not have ROM dumps from 8049 and 8041.  Can someone send me a copy of 8049/8041 dumps?  I need them to complete MX80 emulation.

• 7 months later...
21 hours ago, Knarfian said:

Not sure if you still need these - but FWIW I have an MX-80 on order and the equipment to dump the Intel chips.  So hopefully those dumps will be forthcoming.  I also have an RX-80, which used a single NEC processor and a single 2764 data rom.

Yes. Go ahead.  I am interested in both.  Make ensure that 8049, 8041, and ROM images are dumped for MX80 also because ROM images might be different from ROM images came from TI impact printer (MX80 clone). Please let me know when you made dumps successfully.  Thanks.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, abzman said:

well, I got and dumped an epson mx-80 III F/T but it had an 8039, 3x 2716, and an 8041.  No 8049 here.  https://github.com/abzman/rom-dumps

(this is the printer knarfian was talking about)

Ok, I got it and just cloned it with git command. Thanks!!!

That must be newer MX80 III F/T later that comes with Graphtrax-80 firmware that allow drawing graphics on printouts. Yeah. 8039 do not have ROM space internally.  I am waiting for RX80 and original older MX80 dumps.  Does anyone have FX80 and LQ500 images because I have technical manuals for FX80 (9-pin) and LQ500 24-pin printers?

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/27/2021 at 11:00 PM, Knarfian said:

Also, abzman and I dumped the RX80 already.  It's the most recent binary file added here:

https://github.com/palazzol/miscroms

It would be nice to get skeleton drivers for these into MAME at some point in the future.

Thanks for let me know.  I checked it again and got it now.   I found Epson RX80 schematics through google search but can't find RX80 technical manual.