IGNORED

1200XL just sold for $531 on eBay. WHY?

ACML

Just when you think you've seen it all, an Atari 1200XL just sold for $531.  Nothing special about a computer that routinely sells on eBay for less than half the sale price on this one.  What's really puzzling, is that it had 73 bids so many people were bidding it up.  What am I missing?  

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Working-Atari-1200XL-1200-XL-Computer-w-Power-Supply-Joystick-Frogger-Game/363334394554?hash=item54986ae2ba:g:wc0AAOSwVT5gXSSq

1 hour ago, ACML said:

What am I missing?  

All you are missing is the fact that there is people out there willing to pay more than what YOU are willing to pay, plus the fact that 1200XL usually runs in low supply. In other words, you are missing the economic laws of supply and demand.

BTW, Here's an 800, reaching $660 +$30 shipping, very recently (now, this one was in better condition than that 1200XL). This one raised both my eyebrows:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Atari-Home-Computer-System-800-48K-Unused-w-Original-Box-/203309297613?hash=item2f562dafcd%3Ag%3AzCEAAOSwXQJgRU8c&nma=true&si=gyXD4x6I0EAigqfRopQ9FSuSOzo%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Edited by Faicuai
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Faicuai said:

All you are missing is the fact that there is people out there willing to pay more than what YOU are willing to pay, plus the fact that 1200XL usually runs in low supply. In other words, you are missing the economic laws of supply and demand.

BTW, Here's an 800, reaching $660 +$30 shipping, very recently (now, this one was in better condition than that 1200XL). This one raised both my eyebrows:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Atari-Home-Computer-System-800-48K-Unused-w-Original-Box-/203309297613?hash=item2f562dafcd%3Ag%3AzCEAAOSwXQJgRU8c&nma=true&si=gyXD4x6I0EAigqfRopQ9FSuSOzo%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Supply and demand are economic theories (not laws) and eBay is hardly perfect competition or an a free and open market.  The only thing I know about economics is its all based on people behaving rationally, and two people in the same situation and at the same spot in life can't agree on what's rational.  So while a $531 1200XL may seem rationale to at least one person, to everyone else it isn't (hence no higher bids).  Source: I paid 40,000 dollars for a degree in economics to learn that one thing....

On the whole though I agree with Faicuai...low supply, crazy buyers.

Edited by 8bitguy1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

It's often luck of the draw for the seller when two or three bidders willing to pay more than usual for an auction. Stimulus also, as was said.  There was a good joystick and good game included.  Sold as as tested working is a little unusual. Was not in excellent condition IMO.  There are only, what, about 500 documented to exist.  Be ready to see many or all prices rise as they've promised to keep making trillions more digital dollars out of nothing. The Keynesians have been in charge for a long time.

• Like 2

When I was looking for a PAL machine, ~$500.00 was the going rate on Ebay. Hence why I had to wait for the right device for the right price to come along.

Last I looked, Commodore 128's were going for ~$1000.00 here in AU as it's an issue of supply vs demand. Hence the reason I can't stand retro 'hoarders' - They're essentially creating a supply issue hogging more machines than they can realistically use. There's one guy constantly showing off photo's on Reddit of his house with Amiga's and various Commodore machines stacked uncaringly on top of one another literally up the walls and he gloats about the fact that he refuses to sell any of them and he refuses to modify them, he won't even remove the leaking Varta NiCads.

• Sad 2

2 hours ago, Mazzspeed said:

There's one guy constantly showing off photo's on Reddit of his house with Amiga's and various Commodore machines stacked uncaringly on top of one another literally up the walls and he gloats about the fact that he refuses to sell any of them and he refuses to modify them, he won't even remove the leaking Varta NiCads.

I really don't get nor have time for idiots like that, at least if you are going to hoard them / collect them then at least take care of the machines, to store them into self destruction is mindless. I slimmed down my collection for two reasons, space and to get a little money but I also provided a couple of machines for free to people I knew that would use them as I wasn't and would enjoy them (which I did but if its sat on a wardrobe then I rather someone was using it). I'm left with a dead XL for spares, a working XL with U1MB, a working but patchy looking 130XE and my 800 that is going nowhere, I've 2 C64 breadbins and then it's one's of everything else. Sure a spare would be nice but it's a little flat and as I age and the health makes playing harder (but I'm ok at the mo) then I'll most likely pass on my gear to someone to use. The notion of just keeping it in a room doing nothing is abhorrent to me, apart from needing spares and a machine or two for total failures then what is the point of having 30 machines doing sod all.

Sell them, have a treat on something you will use, buy the wife / partner something but do something with them..

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Mazzspeed said:

Last I looked, Commodore 128's were going for ~$1000.00 here in AU as it's an issue of supply vs demand. Hence the reason I can't stand retro 'hoarders' - They're essentially creating a supply issue hogging more machines than they can realistically use. There's one guy constantly showing off photo's on Reddit of his house with Amiga's and various Commodore machines stacked uncaringly on top of one another literally up the walls and he gloats about the fact that he refuses to sell any of them and he refuses to modify them, he won't even remove the leaking Varta NiCads.

There's reasons for this. Its a long topic so maybe I'll get into it later if feel like it.

And it's not a big deal about the Vartabombs. There's museum curators that do the very same thing.

3 hours ago, Mazzspeed said:

Last I looked, Commodore 128's were going for ~$1000.00 here in AU as it's an issue of supply vs demand. 

Wow, much cheaper in Europe, maybe a 100$ unboxed if you're patient, but also increasing.

I wasn't aware those stimulus checks have to be spent on retro gear ;) (Can you actually spend them on everything or are there conditions/limitations?)

8 hours ago, ACML said:

Just when you think you've seen it all, an Atari 1200XL just sold for $531.  Nothing special about a computer that routinely sells on eBay for less than half the sale price on this one.  What's really puzzling, is that it had 73 bids so many people were bidding it up.  What am I missing?  

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Working-Atari-1200XL-1200-XL-Computer-w-Power-Supply-Joystick-Frogger-Game/363334394554?hash=item54986ae2ba:g:wc0AAOSwVT5gXSSq

That's the TAC-2, those are great and almost as rare as the 1200XLs ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, slx said:

Can you actually spend them on everything or are there conditions/limitations?)

Anything, because it is hard, cold cash on your pockets.

US financial planners are maneuvering (gymnasticslly) to make sure he hit +2.25-2.50 % inflation, within then next 12-18 months, which would be good to "spool-up" the economic turbine. It looks like it will happen, but...  US-savings are at historically high levels, and a good bunch of stimulus money is finding its way into the stock market, which is the real asset-class bubble / sponge. 

A monster $2.0 Trillion infrastructure plan (which has been discussed for years) is also on the table, but that would be money better spent, in my opinion, because it would go to revenue-generating projects, instead of motivating corporations to buy back their own stocks without investing in material expansions.

Edited by Faicuai
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, slx said:

That's the TAC-2, those are great and almost as rare as the 1200XLs ;)

I've got a TAC-2, it's the same one that I scored off a friend at school for free back in the day. For literally decades I hated it, it was just so unpredictable, even the fire buttons were unpredictable...

...Then one day not long ago I decided to open it up and sand/polish all the contact faces (I actually thought I was wasting my time). What a difference! Quite simply, the TAC-2 is now the best joystick I have ever used, I'm so glad I didn't toss it out.

You wouldn't believe how close I was to tossing it out.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Mclaneinc said:

I really don't get nor have time for idiots like that, at least if you are going to hoard them / collect them then at least take care of the machines, to store them into self destruction is mindless. I slimmed down my collection for two reasons, space and to get a little money but I also provided a couple of machines for free to people I knew that would use them as I wasn't and would enjoy them (which I did but if its sat on a wardrobe then I rather someone was using it). I'm left with a dead XL for spares, a working XL with U1MB, a working but patchy looking 130XE and my 800 that is going nowhere, I've 2 C64 breadbins and then it's one's of everything else. Sure a spare would be nice but it's a little flat and as I age and the health makes playing harder (but I'm ok at the mo) then I'll most likely pass on my gear to someone to use. The notion of just keeping it in a room doing nothing is abhorrent to me, apart from needing spares and a machine or two for total failures then what is the point of having 30 machines doing sod all.

Sell them, have a treat on something you will use, buy the wife / partner something but do something with them..

100% agreed my friend. One good machine of each make you prefer, with another for spares, and perhaps a couple of rare collectables that you plan on looking after and actually rotating onto your desk and using from time to time as opposed to perfectly good (and rare) hardware just rotting away in all states of disrepair and not even stored respectfully - Only to be all thrown in the hopper when you pass.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, ZuluGula said:

I have a few extra pieces of hardware. Is it a good time to sell, or I should keep it a little bit longer?

Obviously the longer you wait to sell the more you will get unless a warehouse is found with hundreds of thousand of pristine stock....(pretty unlikely)

But if you have a little something you want then its a good time to sell..

I fully appreciate the supply and demand equilibrium, but $531 is not justified by supply.  There are almost always 1-2 1200XLs for sale on eBay at any given time and they typically sell for much less.  There was nothing remarkable about this unit and there was a bidding war???  

I would say the reason is supply and demand along with some speculation as buyers are willing to pay in order to perhaps sell it for even more sometime down the road.  Now, that may not be the case for everyone, but I can guarantee you it is happening.

• Like 1

Ha ha..Indeed...Likewise the seller can't take too long, no point in being the richest man in the cemetery..(Although the wife / partner may think differently)

Seriously, I think people wait too long as it stands, thinking "I'll trim the store next week" and doing the same thing the next week. If you have spare that you really don't need but hang on to because you don't want to see them go then just get over it and sell them. I find too many people hoard way too many things, my old friend Bob was such a person, his weakness was tools like drills and multi head screw drivers, he had hundred of bits for the screwdrivers and some rather cheap almost pointless drills let alone the hundreds and hundreds of box cutter blades..

All just taking up space, I gave most of it to friends after he died...He just bought stuff off TV because he thought he would use it and never did..At least with the Atari's you CAN make a bit of money as well as reclaim some space..

Edited by Mclaneinc
  • Like 2