IGNORED

RE: Later "revised" PlayStation console hardware

PlayStation - was anyone else impressed with the later revised consoles? I mean, I know they would follow a few years later after many revisions and better implementation, reduction of the chipset etc. basically, improved technology and yet I was pretty impressed with the smaller original PlayStation but man, with the mini slim version of the PlayStation 2? I couldn’t believe how tiny that thing was! ???

170734913_10159713166798109_6311864636381137919_n.thumb.jpg.8f6c77cd56428a6c27c8b3e22a4e2da5.jpg

PS2, other than the built in DVD support, no, it was flimsy.  The PSone though corrected some real hardware fail deficiencies making a more rugged and nicer (too) looking system that also coupled with an in-house tuned LCD combo that made the games look even better.  It's the PS I keep around, sleeps on my desk until I find a game I want to run.

• Like 2

I regret selling my mini psone with lcd screen too :(    I do still have an original working one and I do like the design of the original.  The big PS2 was ugly and the small one feels really janky and cheap.   I didn't get a PS3 until the super slim came out, and that one feels cheap as well, but it does still work.

• Like 2

The PSONE is definitely built to last.  I bought mine used (in very decent condition) years ago, used it extensively for a few years, then threw it in the closet once I hacked my PSP to run PSX eboots.  I pulled it out of the closet just a month or so ago, and it still runs great.

• Like 1

Great thread.  Re: PS2 compatibility issues, I believe the PS2 slims did not run as many PS1 games as the Fat models did.  Also, the last series of PS2 slims don't work with FreeMcBoot.

Very few PS2 Fat Model Series 30001 (launch model) I've come across in the wild ever work, and slims aren't much better.  The slims look really cool, I just don't feel they were built to last.  The best PS2 model in my opinion in terms of reliability is the Fat 50000's.

• Like 1

PS2 has problems with visuals in various games, audio in others, both on less, and some just don't work at all.  There is a list you can google.

I remember one game I had it was pissy about was the squaresoft compilation 2 packs of FF5+6 and FF4+CT.  The mode 7 SNES effects would stutter and chop all over, visually get messed up too, and then some of the games would take forever to save or get stuck and just not save at all, various other little glitches too.

• Like 1

The PC Engine GT and LT were freaking amazing when they were released. The PC Engine hardware was already compact, but those screens were equally cutting edge.

The Sega CDX/MultiMega is also one of the best slimmed down/compact console revisions. When I bought my CDX at launch, it was the same price as a Sony Discman.

• Like 1

The PS2 slim also has that disc lid not shut error. Well, I think it's actually called a disc read error, but it stems from the sensors not properly detecting the lid being shut. You can open it up and put some duct tape over the part which can work, but it still gives me errors. They really cheaped out on the whole lid mechanism. 

So glad I finally got a laptop that can handle PS2 emulation well. This is the tail end of my 4th PS2 system, and I'm glad I will never have to deal with the hardware again.

• Like 2

On 4/10/2021 at 10:49 PM, BawesomeBurf said:

The PS2 slim also has that disc lid not shut error. Well, I think it's actually called a disc read error, but it stems from the sensors not properly detecting the lid being shut. You can open it up and put some duct tape over the part which can work, but it still gives me errors. They really cheaped out on the whole lid mechanism. 

Sheesh, that sounds awful.

My Japanese PS2 had an issue where the ribbon cable to the laser folded up too high during operation. As a result it would to rub against the spinning discs, creating nice, circular scratches in most of my discs.

Yeah. I was not particularly happy about that.

• Like 2