Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
El Cheffe

TI99er's / Geneve9640 Compendium Book

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Hello TI99er / Geneve9640 Users,
i'm in the process of writing a book about the TI99 family and Geneve9640, it should become a compendium,
of course it would be nice if I could use graphics and texts!
The book is about everything that concerns the TI / Geneve (hardware, software, games, utilities, extensions (new / old), books, magazines, emulators (PC, Mac, Linux, etc.), conversions, interesting things TI users, etc.).
Should the book come into being, it will have between 400/600 pages.
To do this, I need a little help in the form of text and / or graphics that I can use, so I would be very grateful for support!
Certainly there are also some in the forum who are on the TI99 Discord server, there I created a survey under "news", maybe you can take a look there, it would help me whether it is worth reading such a book at all write.

Edited by El Cheffe
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mike Wright spent most of forty years working on the Cyc, which now is about 3GB in size.

Lots of money was spent to purchase items to PDF them, agreements signed, trips taken to pickup collections headed for the dump.

Sounds to me like your trying to recreate a wheel?

 

https://caddelectronics.com/the-cyc/

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
41 minutes ago, dhe said:

Sounds to me like your trying to recreate a wheel?

Nothing is wrong with investing efforts to create documentation, programs, utilities, whatever. Everyone is free to buy the Cyc. Or not.

Go ahead, El Cheffe.

Edited by mizapf
  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Agreed, we should not call out people doing something just because someone else had done it before. I'm a little raw about that because the same thing happened to me over Classic99. ("You're just trying to put PC99 out of business!" I was told in public forums.)

 

Cyc and a book would not even be in the same niche. Sure, I can drop my Cyc CD on the living room coffee table, but it's not going to be as interesting as some print with nice photos. ;)

 

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not even started properly, it starts already! CRITICISM!!!
"The Cyc" may be informative, but you have to read it on your PC / Mac, etc., or printed out pdf notes
Why this book, the thing is obvious, the Internet and software are great things, but as bad as it may sound, nobody lives forever and little by little great websites with great information that survive in a book are disappearing , even after my death there will be copies or scans of my book! The websites with the information have disappeared forever and a book with a sorted table of contents lives on and can be picked up quickly, even if it is not always up-to-date.
Personally, I prefer looking at a book than clicking hundreds of links on a screen and getting lost ...
Everyone can see for themselves how they like it!
The book won't be free, but I don't want to make big money with it either, I just want to put information in a reference work for as many TI / Geneve users as possible!
If I earned € 0.00 at the end, that's good too, it was fun to create something.

Thanks to schmitzi, mizapf and Tursi for the positive opinion on a book!

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/9/2021 at 2:02 AM, El Cheffe said:

Hello TI99er / Geneve9640 Users,
i'm in the process of writing a book about the TI99 family and Geneve9640, it should become a compendium,
of course it would be nice if I could use graphics and texts!
The book is about everything that concerns the TI / Geneve (hardware, software, games, utilities, extensions (new / old), books, magazines, emulators (PC, Mac, Linux, etc.), conversions, interesting things TI users, etc.).
Should the book come into being, it will have between 400/600 pages.
To do this, I need a little help in the form of text and / or graphics that I can use, so I would be very grateful for support!
Certainly there are also some in the forum who are on the TI99 Discord server, there I created a survey under "news", maybe you can take a look there, it would help me whether it is worth reading such a book at all write.

El Cheffe,

 

I have a lot of information in my 9640News diskazine I distributed back in the 90's.  Check out www.9640news.com and look for the 9640 News Magazine on the sidebar.  Feel free to use the information however it fits best.  I've got no restrictions on the use of my information in there.

 

The other historical information of the time can be found in Micropendium magazines as a reference for dates and projects that were circulating back in the earlier years.  

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

El Cheffe!
I have started too, some years ago by now, to write a book of the Italian History of Texas Instruments here in Italy, I also collected and still search additional information from the people that have worked to the TI factories here in Italy (we had three of them located in three different cities) anyway, I still never received official license/permission from Texas Instruments to be able to print the book, to be honest  I am a little discouraged.

Hope I will receive a reply from them and will not stop to try. Maybe I could also think to create a translated version (or some parts of it) of the book you have in mind and integrate in mine one! I already written also some pages about TI-99 in another retrocomputer book but published in Italy only.

 

about the cyc, I have purchased the DVD years ago and also an update lately, but I would really like to see a real book on paper! so, I am completely happy for your project, please go ahead!




 

Edited by ti99iuc
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

 

8 hours ago, 9640News said:

El Cheffe,

 

I have a lot of information in my 9640News diskazine I distributed back in the 90's.  Check out www.9640news.com and look for the 9640 News Magazine on the sidebar.  Feel free to use the information however it fits best.  I've got no restrictions on the use of my information in there.

 

The other historical information of the time can be found in Micropendium magazines as a reference for dates and projects that were circulating back in the earlier years.  

Thank you 9640News for allowing me to access your data!

Edited by El Cheffe

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, ti99iuc said:

El Cheffe!
I have started too, some years ago by now, to write a book of the Italian History of Texas Instruments here in Italy, I also collected and still search additional information from the people that have worked to the TI factories here in Italy (we had three of them located in three different cities) anyway, I still never received official license/permission from Texas Instruments to be able to print the book, to be honest  I am a little discouraged.

Hope I will receive a reply from them and will not stop to try. Maybe I could also think to create a translated version (or some parts of it) of the book you have in mind and integrate in mine one! I already written also some pages about TI-99 in another retrocomputer book but published in Italy only.

 

about the cyc, I have purchased the DVD years ago and also an update lately, but I would really like to see a real book on paper! so, I am completely happy for your project, please go ahead!




 

Very nice work!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like the idea of a book as well--as part of my hobby time is used to restore badly photocopied TI documents from the past so that they can continue to survive in paper and/or electronic form. Digital archaeology is fun. I do it for myself though, as any enjoyment others get out of my projects is a pure bonus.

 

I wouldn't say that there was true criticism in any of the posts here either--just pointers to what is already out there so that you have options to choose those parts of TI history that are less well documented.

 

Merci beaucoup pour votre travail. Je pense, c'est un projet très intéressant.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...