IGNORED

Help wiring SIO2 PC/USB Cable

JoeFL77

Could you please help me wire this to connect an Atari 800 to an IBM PC (USB) with windows 10.

I have read and read but am fearful of an incorrect connection and frying things.

I think I need to move the jumper to 5V ?

Would Cat 5 cable be OK? which wires should be in which twisted pair?  I might try for a cable between 10-15 feet.

I have read that using a 6 wire is better than a 4 wire device?

Which and what wires gets connected to the Atari SIO?

I Have a Atari 800 computer, 1050 disk drive, SDrive-Max, (and 850 untested on the way).

I am going to 3d print a SIO connector from a file on Thingiverse.  I have some appropriate (I think) terminal crimp connectors from Digikey.

This 800 thing may be getting out of hand but it sure is enjoyable!

I am hoping the RespeQT will enable me to print BASIC programs through the PC (and not need the 850).

Thank you.

About this item

• FTDI FT232RL IC:Built-in original FTDI FT232RL IC. Supports 5V, 3.3V and 1.8V Logic TTL levels,You can switch Logic levels by jumper.
  • Protective case: Come with a transparent protective casing, this transparent protective casing to effectively prevent static interference from the hand and prevent unintentional short circuit.
  • Application:Support EEPROM, Vendor ID re-write, unbrick routers ,program ESP8266 module, interface to GPS modules, flash firmware on hard drive, update transmitter, interface to set top box and other compatible UART interface devices
  • Compatibility: This USB to TTL adapter is compatible with Windows 7, 8, 10 and various Linux OS and Mac OS

DSD TECH SH-U09C2 USB to TTL Adapter Built-in FTDI FT232RL IC for Debugging and Programming

61SNsWaVaaL._AC_SL1001_.jpg

I bought this cable from Amazon about a year ago and made a SIO2USB cable out of it using an old, partially defective SIO cable I had lying around. It was a relatively quick and easy project and I found using the cable much easier compared to using one of those devices like you show. Since the cable was 6 ft long, and I wound up with about 2.5 ft of good SIO cable, I ended up with a SIO2USB cable a little over 8 ft long and that works great! Plenty of length for just about any application.

DTECH FTDI USB to TTL Serial 5V Adapter Cable 6 Pin 0.1 inch Pitch Female Socket Header UART IC FT232RL Chip Windows 10 8 7 Linux MAC OS (6ft, Black)

I can't recall, off the top of my head, how I wired it up, but I used some fairly common SIO cable pinouts I found online with Google. I just twisted the wires together until I confirmed that it worked well, then I went back and soldered the wires together and covered with heat shrink tubing for a more professional looking presentation.

I'm pretty sure this thread had most of the information that I needed.

DIY SIO2USB

There was also a wealth of good information in this thread as well.

SIO2USB with a FTDI basic breakout board

Edited by bfollowell
  • Like 1

On 4/22/2021 at 1:14 AM, JoeFL77 said:

Thanks,  I will wire it up soon.  

Any guidance on using twisted pairs from a ethernet cable?

The twisted pairs used don't really matter as serial isn't designed in a way that opposing polarities can cancel their electromagnetic signals out. I'd personally isolate the pairs, use the solid color of each pair for the individual signal. In all honesty - You're probably better off chopping up an old USB printer cable and using the shield as GND as opposed to using twisted pair Ethernet cable.

Do not connect the +5v pin of the FTDI USB > Serial board to the SIO port!

Edited by Mazzspeed
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, JoeFL77 said:

Mazzspeed,

Thanks.  I was going to use the ethernet cable since I have a spool of it and it has multible wires.  I was nor sure how many wires a USB cable has in it.  Thanks for the caution!  

No worries my friend. A USB cable has all the wires you need, there's two for data, two for power and a shield for GND - So you can use the four wires for CTS, TXD, RXD and DTR and use the shield for GND. However, if you already have the Ethernet cable, you may as well use it.

Don't connect VCC (+5v).

Good luck!

Edited by Mazzspeed
  • Like 1

Sooo, just like I told you!

But, yes, that is much more visual, and a very nice graphic to go by.

Actually, someone should sticky this thread and keep it at the top, to help others in the future.

That site and those graphics were a great find.

3 hours ago, Nickolasgaspar said:

That is actually some 'really good' information, I wish I had that when I was building my cable!

If you want an SIO plug of top quality, Lotharek sells awesome vacuum molded plugs with terminals on his site. Also, everyone needs to bear in mind that there are FTDI FT232 counterfeit chips out there that are almost impossible to distinguish from the real FTDI chips - So make sure you buy from reputable retailers.

2 hours ago, Mazzspeed said:

That is actually some 'really good' information, I wish I had that when I was building my cable!

If you want an SIO plug of top quality, Lotharek sells awesome vacuum molded plugs with terminals on his site. Also, everyone needs to bear in mind that there are FTDI FT232 counterfeit chips out there that are almost impossible to distinguish from the real FTDI chips - So make sure you buy from reputable retailers.

Yes Lotharek site has many solutions  on upgrades and storage device solutions!

Edited by Nickolasgaspar

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/26/2021 at 8:53 AM, JoeFL77 said:

Mazzspeed,

Thanks.  I was going to use the ethernet cable since I have a spool of it and it has multible wires.  I was nor sure how many wires a USB cable has in it.  Thanks for the caution!  

One possible issue with spooled ethernet cable is it is usually solid core, made for installation in walls where it doesn't don't get flexed after installation, solid core is less expensive but conductors can break if flexed a lot. Stranded cable, which is what ethernet patch cables are made of, is made to take more flexing without conductors breaking.

• Like 1