IGNORED

Intellivision HSC Season 14 - Game 14 - Defender

It’s hard and frustrating. I’ve been playing a lot of games at a sitting, with many resets. Having fun but playing with a compulsion to get 30k. Had a couple of games close to beating my PR but not quite.

Swarmers are the worst. I can go back and forth through them many times, inexplicably missing hitting the last 1 or 2 over and over. 
Maneuverability is quite tricky when trying to catch falling humanoids.

I hate it when I crash stupidly into a slow moving bomber.

• Like 1

When the season started I chanted “please don’t be Dig Dug, Defender or Beamrider” LOL ? ? ? 

Not only do I SUCK! But I don’t even know what I’m doing! 

Believe it or not, I’m grateful. Otherwise I would have never played them! 

Only positives fellas! 

Edited by INTELLIVISION SPARTAN
  • Like 1

I like space shooters (obviousely i have to) but i always disliked the hardness of this game especially as coin-op but even the inty release is hard.

But i see i still have time to try to beat 5'000 points more i can't expect of me i guess.

Sure i liked the game and i can't tell how many SFr. ($) it swallowed.

Spoiler

I liked it that much that i once created a "Defender" ship for "Pioneer Space Sim", sure it isn't based on the primitive graphic of Defender itself it rather is based on the "Galaxian" ship design, however the name i took over from Defender and in general the idea to reflect a classic space shooter ship in a more recent (not as recent anymore) game.

I'm not very proud of it it was one of my first models for "Pioneer" and was made in a hurry especially the texture leaks, not what one could expect of me.

ACtC-3dQLWti4bhdX10ORBkZFjHzJh5cnf7c5QI7

But let's see what i can reach on my 83% speed PAL Inty ;) in comparison to a play on jzIntv.

Btw am i right, jblenkle played it on Nostalgia, does really someone still use it except of me (occasionally)?

Edited by Gernot
spoiler

1 hour ago, ClassicGMR said:

I use Nostalgia 5.0 exclusively. Never got jzINTV working right and MESS was, well, you know. 

MESS was a mess, but Mame is even worse (you have to split the roms and can't pick a rom as easy as in MESS), both leak extreme for the Intellivision many games won't run, i.e. all Soccer games will hang after the first goal, Space Patrol does not work (The vehicle collides before the game starts), Ms. Pac Man does not, D.K. Arcade has garbled graphics, many other have wrong and garbled graphics (even if you pick and run the ROM instead of the installed and split up to memory banks binaries, worst i feel is the soccer error this is a basic basic basic intellivision game and if this did not run the emulator is simply shit in my humble opinion, that homebrews and new releases won't run proper i can understand but that a game like soccer fails is not acceptable)

Nostalgia was the emulator of my choice for years before i fumbled around with jzIntv or even worse MESS/MAME.

There are a few reasons to emulate the Inty in MAME (MESS is not further developed), foremost one it is the only one running "Stack 'Em" proper (in despite of all who fail to run proper).

It allows me to play "AD&D Tower of Mystery" because i can save each level and avoid sudden crashes (a save and reload will remove dead ends even) by this which makes this Prototype playable then.

But i guess to run jzIntv in the jzIntv GUI is as easy as to setup Nostalgia picking games is as well straightforward because they will be alphabetical sorted in branches.

+ easy to install

+ easy to pick games and alter settings (per session)

+ jzIntv supports custom controller setups

+ supports (reads) sub level directories of the selected ROM directory (allows to sort your ROM directory i.e. by developers and/or themes).

+ shows the commandline string, allows to add custom (by the GUI not shown) options to it.

- no images, no manuals, no overlays

- simple "oldschool" GUI.

If one likes to display box images and overlays "Weeds" jzIntv launcher comes at hand, it's a bit complicated to install (it expects to make all settings in one try if something isn't as it pleases you have to repeat the whole procedure (it's possible to edit the launcher.ini) but else a good alternative to Nostalgia.

+ displays images and manuals

++Weeds++ this is a plus - really (from SimCity2k over Intellivision to DOOM - everywere this dude is present with some fantastic work).

- cannot handle custom image naming like Nostalgia

- plays the BurgerTime! jingle until you get nausea (can be replaced with an empty file named "burgertime intro.mid" or any other midi named as, i use a classical piano midi which doesn't strain my nerves).

Spoiler

besides weeds and simcopter, i browsed for it and what did i see? screenshots of my custom racing tracks and car skins playing a 3dfx emulated game, do they know that this is "gernot only"? these tracks and skins need to be downloaded from my repo, strange-wisely they do not mention me or that this has to be downloaded from me.

One track i made i named "Intellivision Autodrome" plus a special Intellivision car skin and custom Intellivison SFX in the game such as the cheer, sections of the track are named by Intellivison games, i.e. StarStrike Valley, Soccer Tunnel, SeaBattle Port and so on, the labels will be displayed while you race.

(beeps and warns "left turn only!" if you have to left turn only of course)

You will find that stuff on my YT channel named Gernot Schrader, links to the repo as well if i remember right.

finally the

Horror method - create batch proggies and run the game like a "real game" from a nice icon, keeps the emulator hidden, shows all artwork and whatever manuals, ester eggs or whatever of custom notes to the game you play (i.e. the nice pdf manuals).

+ personalized Intellivision

- takes months to install

- is complicated as hell

Sure you can stay with Nostalgia, i see no reason why not.

The older release of Nostalgia allows to load a custom palette, if you alter the foreground set slightly from the background set you can "cheat" certain games, e.g. if the green differs a little AD&D will show the path of the dungeons before you walk through.

Back to topic

i played two rounds of defender and it didn't turned out as bad as i expected.

IMG_20210507_013344.jpg

Edited by Gernot
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, mr_me said:

Mame feels more responsive than Jzintv on my old PC, so it's my preferred emulator.  I use the exact same rom files in Mame as with all the other Intellivision emulators.

Cough then try Soccer (any release of) which i mentioned and tell me if that works for you (you have to make at least one goal to provoke the error, a working title screen tells nothing some errors appear only in gameplay under a given condition, in case for soccer it is the first goal either one team makes)

True this i noticed to jzIntv lags a bit in controller inputs. Besides "old" won't matter and i'm not sure but i feel izIntv ran as good if not better in win XP as in win10.

Spoiler

It won't not even when i pick the ROM instead to set them up as MAME games under "cartridges", sure latter looks pleasing but it is a tedious work (except for the 8 - 16k roms which are assigned to address $5000 these can be used not split as "cartridge" named xxx.50 (the naming is unimportant as long as it stands to what is given as slot address in the hash table, MAME will pick the one with the exact named suffix, the name itself does not matter, image out of the zip i.e. if you try to have multiple versions of a section in one file to experiment with) in the proper named zip file. the names you can retrieve from the hash table or otherwise alter the hash table by need if you have a different image with a different checksum i.e.. It can be tricky addresses $2100, $7100, $C100 and such won't be accepted by mame (but they work as picked rom) in such a case you have to add a 512bytes long padding in front of the section down to $C000 i.e.). On the other hand no problem to call "MAME intv -cart romname.rom" except for a couple of games which completely fail to run. Keep in mind that the splitting is only needed if you like to run the games from within the MAME UI. A call "mame intv -cart romname.rom" will always work without to split them to the slot addresses (or a selection from in the running machine and "pick rom image").

An example setup with a couple of homebrews which work with the sdk-1600 miniexec mingrom with an updated hashtable to reflect the homebrews/IntyBASIC games i linked here even some years ago. It's just pleasing to look at but makes no difference to simply pick a rom image. Further we have now if you look at the .cfg files for the binaries a setting RAM 16 to the standard RAM 8 and i'm not sure if MAME interprets that right, i can only tell it "intv_ram" (instead "intv_rom") for the type of cartridge and enter the size of the RAM but not (what i assume it stands for) 8bit or 16bit width. MAME in general is designed to support only the standard intv romset, new releases are not taken to account ergo the neglecting of uncommon addressing and bitwidth.

Ah yes try "Missile Domination" i like this game much and play it quite often but it fails completely in MAME probably caused by exactly this difference of RAM 8 to RAM 16.

Not the proper topic here but i can post here the errors of MAME (i did so a couple of years ago for MESS which is the same engine).

However as a proud owner of a 40 year old oldtimer i prefer anyway to play on this oldtimer instead to play emulated.

Playing emulated is for a competition just a little more fair since the PAL machine has only 83% of speed (100/60*50~83%), if you remember my astrosmash score which is "out of competition", if i don't get tired i could play it for hours... it's to slow on the PAL Inty.

And btw. how you start the few Atari games is unimportant there is only on hardness/speed setting the common 3,2,1,DISC speed selection is bypassed by them.

But a play on my machine would equal roughly to a start with [1] (speed 3). I will measure what is the exact difference for 10 "intellivision minutes" to count.

My next screenshot will be from a play in MAME just because of.

I’d rather play Sewer Sam at this point. 

Which i tried yesterday and noticed that i'm shit.

A shame for a former plumber...

(yes that didn't looks like a plumber rather like a chemist but my profession textile technician hasn't let me earn much money, less as a helper on the construction site).

A shame for a former plumber even that i'm completely unable to play DK well - in and over all the decades i never was good in this game.

2 hours ago, Gernot said:

Cough then try Soccer (any release of) which i mentioned and tell me if that works for you (you have to make at least one goal to provoke the error, a working title screen tells nothing some errors appear only in gameplay under a given condition, in case for soccer it is the first goal either one team makes)

True this i noticed to jzIntv lags a bit in controller inputs. Besides "old" won't matter and i'm not sure but i feel izIntv ran as good if not better in win XP as in win10.

Reveal hidden contents

It won't not even when i pick the ROM instead to set them up as MAME games under "cartridges", sure latter looks pleasing but it is a tedious work (except for the 8 - 16k roms which are assigned to address $5000 these can be used not split as "cartridge" named xxx.50 (the naming is unimportant as long as it stands to what is given as slot address in the hash table, MAME will pick the one with the exact named suffix, the name itself does not matter, image out of the zip i.e. if you try to have multiple versions of a section in one file to experiment with) in the proper named zip file. the names you can retrieve from the hash table or otherwise alter the hash table by need if you have a different image with a different checksum i.e.. It can be tricky addresses $2100, $7100, $C100 and such won't be accepted by mame (but they work as picked rom) in such a case you have to add a 512bytes long padding in front of the section down to $C000 i.e.). On the other hand no problem to call "MAME intv -cart romname.rom" except for a couple of games which completely fail to run. Keep in mind that the splitting is only needed if you like to run the games from within the MAME UI. A call "mame intv -cart romname.rom" will always work without to split them to the slot addresses (or a selection from in the running machine and "pick rom image").

An example setup with a couple of homebrews which work with the sdk-1600 miniexec mingrom with an updated hashtable to reflect the homebrews/IntyBASIC games i linked here even some years ago. It's just pleasing to look at but makes no difference to simply pick a rom image. Further we have now if you look at the .cfg files for the binaries a setting RAM 16 to the standard RAM 8 and i'm not sure if MAME interprets that right, i can only tell it "intv_ram" (instead "intv_rom") for the type of cartridge and enter the size of the RAM but not (what i assume it stands for) 8bit or 16bit width. MAME in general is designed to support only the standard intv romset, new releases are not taken to account ergo the neglecting of uncommon addressing and bitwidth.

Ah yes try "Missile Domination" i like this game much and play it quite often but it fails completely in MAME probably caused by exactly this difference of RAM 8 to RAM 16.

Not the proper topic here but i can post here the errors of MAME (i did so a couple of years ago for MESS which is the same engine).

However as a proud owner of a 40 year old oldtimer i prefer anyway to play on this oldtimer instead to play emulated.

Playing emulated is for a competition just a little more fair since the PAL machine has only 83% of speed (100/60*50~83%), if you remember my astrosmash score which is "out of competition", if i don't get tired i could play it for hours... it's to slow on the PAL Inty.

And btw. how you start the few Atari games is unimportant there is only on hardness/speed setting the common 3,2,1,DISC speed selection is bypassed by them.

But a play on my machine would equal roughly to a start with [1] (speed 3). I will measure what is the exact difference for 10 "intellivision minutes" to count.

My next screenshot will be from a play in MAME just because of.

Why would I play a two player only game like soccer.  The big problem is Qbert, which also has a bug in Mame; again why would I play Parker Brothers Qbert, when I can play the Gottlieb version.  The problem with Jzintv is that when there's computer slowdown, it skips frames where Mame has the no skip option, on by default.  By the way, if you look at Mametesters you'll see I reported the bug with Intellivision Soccer, using your video.  And Mame ignores cfg files, so if running a rom file that's not in its database, try converting to .rom intellicart format.

Edited by mr_me