IGNORED

Has anyone ever seen a top loader at a thrift store?

I've been looking for a top loader for several months now.

Cannot find one anywhere!!! They are way out of my league on Epay right now, and they probably always will be.

I was thinking of putting an ad in the local "Thrifty Nickel" mag looking for one, has anyone ever tried this?

Has anyone ever seen them at a thrift store?

Will I die without ever knowing what it feels like to have my NES games work every time?

It's funny, this wasn't even an issue until I got "Baseball Stars" and lose my season every three days, because my kid wants to play Super Mario Bros 3. :wink:

I've seen a few at thrift stores. I don't collect for NES, so for a long time I didn't know the toploaders were so highly prized and I missed some valuable trade bait. I picked one up for $6, sans dog-bones, and traded it later for a 7800. Seems like the thrifts are catching on though. The last toploader I saw was in a display case for $80.

I see regular Nintendos all the time for about 5 bucks.

I've gotten the dog bone controllers already for a few bucks.

Hell I even saw a Sega Master System the other day for 10 bucks with the light gun. SNES for 5 bucks.

But no top loader. Not ever. I probably hit the thrifts 3-4 times a week.

This is my next idea:

Has anyone ever tried to make nice with Mr. Thrift Store employee?

Offered him a little cash on the down low to find something?

Would that even be ethical?

Oh, how the mind boggles....but I think that would take the fun out of the hunt completely.

I don't think I could do it.

i was on a hot streak for awhile and at one point had 6 toploaders piled up on my trade stack. i'm pretty convinced its a geographical thing, they seem to turn up around boston pretty often. i've noticed that "game" stores know what they are but other place still dont. one flea market lady who sold me 3 of them thought they were inferior to the regular NES. she thought they needed special wires so she could never sell them as complete, she called them the "baby nintendos". in any case they're not an amazingly rare item, just highly desired by those in the know. come to think of it i've never seen one at a thrift but these days i never see anything good at thrifts period.

I've been looking for a top loader for several months now.

Cannot find one anywhere!!! They are way out of my league on Epay right now, and they probably always will be.

I was thinking of putting an ad in the local "Thrifty Nickel" mag looking for one, has anyone ever tried this?

Has anyone ever seen them at a thrift store?

Will I die without ever knowing what it feels like to have my NES games work every time?

It's funny, this wasn't even an issue until I got "Baseball Stars" and lose my season every three days, because my kid wants to play Super Mario Bros 3. :wink:

Only one, and it's the one I'm currently using. Found it at a thrift in Cleveland for $2 I think. :D

Got one 3 years ago for $25 at a Sacramento flea market. Don't really like it because of those faint vertical lines in the screen. It still had them after I did the composite mod. Tried to fix it by adding decoupling caps in various places but no luck.

For my frontloader, I just opened it up and bent the contactor pins so they would grip the cart tighter. It works great now, but really have to pull to get a cart out. Best of all, I can put my intv2 right on top of it for extra shelfspace.

I got lucky one day and found just the system at the flea market a few weeks back. The price was definately right : $1.00

I took it home cleaned it up and threw on standard NES parts, it is my little champion. The unit allowed me to actually TEST all of my NES carts that had been piling up since my front loader started giving me fits. The system does get rather warm though so I try not to run it for extended periods of time.

Accursed overtemped power regulators... bleah.

Hex.

[ Needs more 2 part thermal epoxy... ]