IGNORED

Intellivision HSC Season 14 - Game 15 - Frogger

13 hours ago, ClassicGMR said:

EDIT: Are you kidding me? I never read the manual ever for this game until now. You can float off-screen? @&!$#%*!! That changes a lot. 

I neither read it but two weeks ago i played it and was surprised because in the coin-op Frogger you will die when you go off screen (i never did before).

However, i don't think it makes it much easier the strategy is still to fill as first the "home" on the left side.

It's a game i liked to play in the '80s it's not that hard and the slowing down of the cars is rather an obstacle as an advantage.

Neither i think the disc is too impractical to play it (matter of being used to), of course emulated i use the hat on my stick for precision (same as for the last game "Defender" it's in my opinion better to switch fast from left to right as with the stick)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gernot said:

I neither read it but two weeks ago i played it and was surprised because in the coin-op Frogger you will die when you go off screen (i never did before).

However, i don't think it makes it much easier the strategy is still to fill as first the "home" on the left side.

It's a game i liked to play in the '80s it's not that hard and the slowing down of the cars is rather an obstacle as an advantage.

Neither i think the disc is too impractical to play it (matter of being used to), of course emulated i use the hat on my stick for precision (same as for the last game "Defender" it's in my opinion better to switch fast from left to right as with the stick)

In Skill 1 or 2 you can float off screen.  In Skill 3 or 4, you cannot.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Yes, now i've read the manual :)

But i wonder how to score already 20'000 i cheated the game and didn't get over 12'000.

Spoiler

[mapping]
$0000 - $0FFF = $5000
;
[macro]
p $50d5 5 ; Frogs, machine dip switches: 3, 5, 7, 256 (0x00)

It gets very tight in space and the varying speed is a pain.

Edited by Gernot
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, IntyFanMatt said:

In Skill 1 or 2 you can float off screen.  In Skill 3 or 4, you cannot.

Yep but as @Gernotstated I was playing the same way he was... I assumed you couldn't so much as touch the sides of the screen or you would splooch just like the arcade version.

Moral of the story - RTFM people! ??

• Haha 2

Quick Frogger Update: (Updated to post #31)

23,520 - Wolfy62

20,000 - cparsley

18,340 - ClassicGMR

14,980 - Lupovax

13,740 - Rickster8

10,010 - Mangia-Boy

7,970 - Gar0u

5,790 - JBlenkle

4,860 - Spartan

Would you mind if i link a Frogger set?

Includes the game, manual, overlays, icons for whatever purpose, images in a useful mediocre size, .bin and edited .cfg, versions "Arcade" (3 Frogs), "Lethal" (1 Frog), "Trainer" (256 Frogs) in .rom format for the lazy ones, conversions for MAME and append for the MAME intv hash table, plus a short howto for MAME (where the turd belongs to).

The "Trainer" shows a bit a weird graphical glitch since this isn't "invulnerability" just 256 life's which can't be displayed as number but it has no influence on the game.

"machine dip switches: 3, 5, 7, 256, 3 is default".

It's what i use myself in/for either jzIntv (in a desktop folder to start all the games quasi standalone), for MAME (images, prepped zip files, hash table), for Nostalgia (proper named images as .jpg, almost proper it's possible instead to put both in images to create i.e. the directories "box" and "overlay" and to point on them with the string where to look for the image, e.g. "overlay\gamename.jpg" "box\gamename.jpg" and to use for the settings the top level directory which ever that might be it must not be nostalgia\.... The .jpg images fit also for a use with "jzIntv Launcher").

---

And since i like to add something here, a replacement tune for the enerving burgertime jingle for jzIntv Launcher:

jzIntvLauncher Jingle.zip

Edited by Gernot
pressewd the wrong button and now ringo is off with the sea monsters

24 minutes ago, Gernot said:

Would you mind if i link a Frogger set?

Includes the game, manual, overlays, icons for whatever purpose, images in a useful mediocre size, .bin and edited .cfg, versions "Arcade" (3 Frogs), "Lethal" (1 Frog), "Trainer" (256 Frogs) in .rom format for the lazy ones, conversions for MAME and append for the MAME intv hash table, plus a short howto for MAME (where the turd belongs to).

The "Trainer" shows a bit a weird graphical glitch since this isn't "invulnerability" just 256 life's which can't be displayed as number but it has no influence on the game.

"machine dip switches: 3, 5, 7, 256, 3 is default".

It's what i use myself in/for either jzIntv (in a desktop folder to start all the games quasi standalone), for MAME (images, prepped zip files, hash table), for Nostalgia (proper named images as .jpg, almost proper it's possible instead to put both in images to create i.e. the directories "box" and "overlay" and to point on them with the string where to look for the image, e.g. "overlay\gamename.jpg" "box\gamename.jpg" and to use for the settings the top level directory which ever that might be it must not be nostalgia\.... The .jpg images fit also for a use with "jzIntv Launcher").

---

And since i like to add something here, a replacement tune for the enerving burgertime jingle for jzIntv Launcher:

jzIntvLauncher Jingle.zip 2.49 kB · 0 downloads

I have no clue what you’re talking about. ?

• Haha 2

IntyFanMatt is yeah i know now who he is, location Florida and he has absolutely no idea...

You like to wear a stetson am i right?

But let's compete in Frogger, i scored some 12'000 and like to see if i can score a bit higher, like i said this game i liked in my youth but i'm by far not as good as my friend Chuck was he played most of the coin-ops for hours with a single coin.

Edited by Gernot

2 minutes ago, Gernot said:

IntyFanMatt is yeah i know now who he is, location Florida and he has absolutely no idea...

You like to wear a stetson am i right?

Stetson?  Lol. That would be Texas. I wear baseball hats.

And by the way, I was kidding with you when I said I had no idea what you’re talking about since I don’t know the technical stuff you were saying. 

Edited by IntyFanMatt
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Gernot said:

But let's compete in Frogger, i scored some 12'000 and like to see if i can score a bit higher, like i said this game i liked in my youth but i'm by far not as good as my friend Chuck was he played most of the coin-ops for hours with a single coin.

My best for skill 1 is 114k, which was the world record for awhile on Twin Galaxies. I’ve been holding off on playing since I’m always busy. But I will try to post something this weekend. 

Edited by IntyFanMatt

Hmmm... i'm not convinced ya know, just because Texan wear stetsons that won't in example mean the little me wore one for many years.

I could have missed you know, because i "know" a dude from Florida (which is quite large in numbers) who wears one, he created the "jzIntv Launcher" thus i assume he likes the Inty.

He flies Choppers as a hobby.

And composes MIDI.

Probably i was wrong it was just because you uttered "i have no clue" of which i guessed "nah one who claims to have no clue has more as just".

2 minutes ago, Gernot said:

Hmmm... i'm not convinced ya know, just because Texan wear stetsons that won't in example mean the little me wore one for many years.

I could have missed you know, because i "know" a dude from Florida (which is quite large in numbers) who wears one, he created the "jzIntv Launcher" thus i assume he likes the Inty.

He flies Choppers as a hobby.

And composes MIDI.

Probably i was wrong it was just because you uttered "i have no clue" of which i guessed "nah one who claims to have no clue has more as just".

No worries man, just having fun with ya.

• Like 1

Ah, Intellivision Frogger, where the lady frog looks like a crab and the alligators utilize their natural log body camouflage.

98D6DF8E-9CFB-48EC-A0FE-CD692F6F4151.thumb.jpeg.373b3aab21e954c950ebab249d892c64.jpeg  

A little below my high on skill 2, so I was surprised I didn’t score higher right out the gate. I’ve always enjoyed this version despite my issues with it. First off, I love the music, but it stops as soon as you move, and since there’s a bonus timer, you can’t sit and enjoy it! Haha. Most importantly tho, you need quick reflexes and Frogger needs to be fast to match, but here, he’s got a delay. That’s what keeps tripping me up on the first stage where the otters first appear. The cars are soooo close together, it’s very difficult to speed through them. 

Picked up a crappy backup Intel machine.  Just hooked it up. Right controller is busted. Left one glitchy. “Gotta do what gotta do”. Zero excuses. Let’s play ball fellas!!! 

Ps) I forgot Frogger sucks on Intel. The lagging of the gameplay! And the graphics..... worse then Coleco games! 

19K. First place I believe!!! 

577D2DA0-6741-48F9-8942-60C09B8C9755.jpeg

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, INTELLIVISION SPARTAN said:

Picked up a crappy backup Intel machine.  Just hooked it up. Right controller is busted. Left one glitchy. “Gotta do what gotta do”. Zero excuses. Let’s play ball fellas!!! 

Ps) I forgot Frogger sucks on Intel. The lagging of the gameplay! And the graphics..... worse then Coleco games! 

I think 3rd place at the moment... Pretty sure Wolfy and Parse have a little better..... 

13 minutes ago, INTELLIVISION SPARTAN said:

Ah definitely not.... I'm at 20k btw

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, cparsley said:

I would say yes, only if you differentiated it from the others, otherwise makes it too easy to cheat. Aka change the color of the score on the "trainer" version

That will be difficult for this lame hacker, but lemme see what i can achieve over the weekend.

Dude not to cheat is a matter of honor, it would be else quite easy in what manner ever, i.e. when you use MAME you could find the address in memory for life's and make you invulnerable, find the address for the time and give you an endless time to cross the road plus a maximum of time bonuses.

Simplest would be to save the running game after each completed level in MAME even this is possible and you could try each until you reach the best result.

If one would have to avoid this completely only a play on the console would be allowed and even still then one could hack the rom.

I'm pretty sure 99.999% here like to compete honest.

It's not about to win the competition it's about to be part of, some call this sport (cough).

But i think the idea to differentiate them with a different border color is such good that i will adapt this anyway.

basically red=lethal, blue=advantage to the kid, black=arcade, but i will see.

Edited by Gernot

7 hours ago, Rickster8 said:

benedict cumberbatch wtf GIF

No frickin' thing here, it's true i passed "Microsurgeon" (an 8h long run surgery, moved all parts out, cut tube, replaced tube with a spare plastic tube, connected hose piece to stomach, connected hose piece to legs, human is not much more as a machine or in other terms "I'm an automan - i'm made of wires, wires, wires. I don't even have a heartbeat listen...")

But i feel well with my spare part inside, better as before, i had the problem that i couldn't walk any further as 10 or 20 meters then i had to stop and rest because my legs ran out of fuel... erm blood.

Couple of years ago i had a brain stroke, nothing "serious" (hüstel), the affected part was only the brain stem which we share with the worms and has a lot of spare nerves to replace injured, thus you will recover from a stroke in the brain stem quite soon and well, the only thing left from this is that i have to concentrate more when i swallow else i miss and my sensitivity for temperature on my back

is not like it was before, if i don't know if something is hot or cold, cold will feel like burning hot.

And computers... hmm... they neither are what they was before, this is my third machine since i last visited atari age in 2018, that shit isn't worth a rusty red cent anymore.

BUT

At least the Inty still runs, both Amiga's still run... and run and run and run just like a Beetle.

---

"Too fast" was a reply to IntyFanMatt, he replied that fast that i couldn't finish my last posts.

---

Yes i know i will end up like this comrade of mine from "Space Sim Central" and soon i will have to mount joysticks on my walker and fix a basket in front to place the console or computer in.

That is us when we are our own grandpa's, walker with sticks on it, a large battery and a computer in the front basket.

"a one a two a three and here we go..."

IMG_20210515_131042.thumb.jpg.c5021c0a8dec2cc037d589a4ec1a02fb.jpg