IGNORED

ATARI 800 XL SECAM CAP LIST

Unless you need to change them because of leakage etc I'd not bother...Its standard advice given to anyone talking of changing them, they are pretty good quality components from back then, why risk track lifting etc..

• Like 1

When I turn it off and turn it back on quickly it doesn't really reboot and I instantly get the message "READY '(it doesn't do that on my other ATARI 800 XL).

If I wait a while (about 10 seconds) before turning it on again it resets well, and I have the basic restarting and the message "READY" appears after a few seconds.

Edited by Philippe R

7 minutes ago, Philippe R said:

When I turn it off and turn it back on quickly it doesn't really reboot and I instantly get the message "READY '(it doesn't do that on my other ATARI 800 XL).

If I wait a while (about 10 seconds) before turning it on again it resets well, and I have the basic restarting and the message "READY" appears after a few seconds.

That can be quite normal, the DRAM's take some time to fizzle out and refresh. I get the same on my C64 if I power it off and on too quick, just wait a second or two before powering on again and all is good.

In actual fact, technically speaking, replacing caps could actually exasperate this issue.

• Like 2

For me, this is not normal. 5 seconds are not enough to restart the computer and have a normal boot.5 seconds is a long time. I have just performed the test now.

It's very different from others ATARI 800 XL.

Switch off -> wait 5 seconds -> switch on => no reboot

Edited by Philippe R

Some DRAM has that issue.  Ot was not uncommon back when the machines were new for some to have around a 10 second power down.  A bad capacitor is not going to hold power.  By definition, when a capacitor is bad it is because it will not hold a charge.  That's like installing a dead battery to start your car faster.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Philippe R said:

Switch off -> wait 5 seconds -> switch on => no reboot

One of my 130XE's has done this since new, a later one I purchased second hand doesn't do this

it's not a fault it's just down to the components used

as @Mazzspeed and @Stephen said some RAM chips take longer to discharge.

Just as one of my 1050's also does this, the other doesn't and I re-capped both of them some years ago thinking

like you they were the issue, but nothing changed after replacement, so if there's no sign of leaking or bulging

they are probably best left alone.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Philippe R said:

RAM on this computer are not new.

The issue varies from 8bit machine to 8bit machine, even 8bit machines of the same make, as manufacturers often sourced components from all around of varying specification even within the same model product run.

As stated, my 600xl doesn't appear to do it, although I am running a modern Lotharek memory upgrade and my old DRAM chips have been removed completely. However, I have noticed that if I cycle the power too fast on my C64 the memory doesn't completely fizzle it's zeros and ones resulting in weirdness when I power on.

The observed behaviour is perfectly normal, relax. Have you ever scratched your car, then tried to fix a scratch that's barely visible because you feel the whole roof has caved in, only to result in damage as a result of trying to fix a barely perceptible problem that's ten times worse than the original scratch?

Your A8 is currently experiencing that scratch..