Upgrade or not

damanloox

Upgrade or not  

40 members have voted

1. 1. What should I do?

• Do Not Touch Her!
    • Upgrade!

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

OK, I have a problem and I'd like to see what would people here do.. I've pretty much mint 800XL (honestly - everything is as new, Alps keyboard, not a single spot of rust on shielding, white as it came from the factory yesterday). I thought I'd do some upgrades (U1MB, VBXE, stereo) but now that I had a look at it I'm having doubts... So - would you leave it as display piece or upgrade? 

IMO, the U1MB and SIDE3 are essential upgrades - They simply transform the machine and take care of certain fragmentation incompatibilities due to the vast number of differing A8 configurations by giving the user the ability to save profiles.

At the end of the day, if such upgrades had have been available in the day, you wouldn't be asking this question as you'd be to eager to get the upgrade.

I don't believe in lights, switches and SIO2USB displays all over pristine cases. But the U1MB is fairly unintrusive and SIDE3 is just a cart. If you really want to get the most out of your A8 in this day and age, I say do it. These machines are meant to be enjoyed, not locked in glass cases.

Of course, quality of workmanship is important. Do a good job and you A8 may end up being worth more in the unlikely case you decide to sell it one day.

Edited by Mazzspeed
  • Like 1

I'd go for a U1MB straight away, it will keep its value and is internal but all this depends if the machine is going to get use, if its just display you will lose the whiteness anyway over time so I would deffo have it as a working machine. The U1MB is a good working upgrade, VBXE not so much as there's so little for it but its a thought, sonically maybe a Pokey Max 3 for the variations it offers.

Edit: Cart wise it depends on your style of use, if its gaming I'd get an AVG with SIO cable, again no destruction to the case and offers an almost console like environment where pretty much anything can be loaded directly off that cart with almost no need for tape or disk drives. If its more HD type use then the Side3 seems a more natural choice even though the AVG can do most of that as well.

Edited by Mclaneinc
  • Like 2

The thing is that VBXE is an essential upgrade for me... There's no going back having seen RGB output coming out of it... @flashjazzcat's "The Last Word" for VBXE alone is worth it... BUt yes - VBXE is somewhat intrusive.

Also - I have another 800XL (and 600XL) both "fully loaded" (ie. U1MB, VBXE, pokeymax) and I use them (as much as I can) so I thought I'd live this oen alone (honestly - just looking at that pristine shielding makes me think to leave it) ;)

• Like 2

Ah, if you have other machines to mod then perhaps keep it pristine but like Mazz I hate seeing machines just piled up on display, for me the machines are screaming use me use me!!

Re the RGB you might want to consider Sophia 2, its an absolute gem and does RGB as well as DVI / HDMI, its also such an easy upgrade. Reminds me, still not made my RGB cable...So lazy...

Edit: At the end of the day its your machine, I share your passion of keeping it untouched but me, I'd mod it..

Whatever you do congrats on having a pristine machine..

Edited by Mclaneinc
  • Like 1

U1Meg from memory can be done without modifying the machine.

VBXE is intrusive though the worst thing is cuting a hole if you do so to put the video jack in.

A reasonable alternate to VBXE of course now is Sophia (or in fact you could run both) but you'll still need to run the video out, and you miss out on the extra features/software.

31 minutes ago, Rybags said:

U1Meg from memory can be done without modifying the machine

It could be, really the only modification is the drilling of holes in the PCB to mount the U1MB.

If you just left the board floating in the case, assuming you protected everything from shorts it would be a totally reversible mod as it's just four wires and the removal of the MMU and OS Rom

31 minutes ago, Rybags said:

VBXE is intrusive though the worst thing is cuting a hole if you do so to put the video jack in.

A reasonable alternate to VBXE of course now is Sophia (or in fact you could run both) but you'll still need to run the video out, and you miss out on the extra features/software

On the C64 there is a video add on board that allows for component output, as well as some additional features. It's great as it replaces the RF modulator and you don't need to mod the case at all as the component mod is output using a jack socket in the place that would normally be RF out. You'd think that by using a jack plug crosstalk would be an issue, but the resulting picture is actually quite impressive.

It's a shame such a system wasn't used for the VBXE, as the RGB output itself as well as 15khz really is what puts me off the VBXE (that and software support).

Edited by Mazzspeed

4 hours ago, damanloox said:

I've pretty much mint 800XL (honestly - everything is as new, Alps keyboard, not a single spot of rust on shielding, white as it came from the factory yesterday).

I known exactly what you mean.

If your MoBo is also fully socketed, you prob. have the best revision and hard to find (I happen to have two of those, identical, just a few serial #s apart).

713F5C29-F441-4161-A09E-AF0563458B4C.thumb.jpeg.568f7cc9d5d2f52814f07628a0963452.jpeg

These machines are not exactly designed for "upgrades", as you end up with more parts in your hands than when you started.... but this is as clean as it will probably get, with everything back in pkace:

495AAF47-646A-4DA9-B868-B666259BE1AA.thumb.jpeg.76cb0b0d8670e299e0ccfdb93885bcf1.jpeg

Unfortunately, there will be no free-lunch here, as you need to precision-cut the shields. But good news is that NO need to drill anything on the PCB (that is a non-starter in my retro-book).

If you still do not like it after this, then DO NOT upgrade.

And, YES, I'd go with upgrades where 2+2=5 (U1MB is one of those). Sophia-2 (being a  INTERFACE-ONLY upgrade) will render digitally over DVI/d, and if through LCD,  both will deliver emulation-grade image quality. It is possible that it will fit under the shields, as well.

Good luck!

1 hour ago, flashjazzcat said:

Is that a drill-hole in the back of the case?

Yes, sir!!!

Optimizes quality for Composite or s-Video output (by separating luma from chroma). 

I get pretty nervous drilling directly on these slim PCBs with nearby tracks, etc.

It's always nice to leave one machine you use unaltered. There can be some incompatibilities with some upgrades and having a working stock spec machine is useful for getting a baseline or getting back to that 'how it was when I was a kid' space.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You have to ask yourself for what you need all those upgrades. Does lack of them is stopping you from enjoying the machine? Is there something you can't do on stock machine? There are other upgrades that are less intrusive, like Antonia 4MB, Sophia, PokeyMAX, AVG cart ect. Just recently someone posted a video of a clever way how to mount a DVI connector without making holes in your computer.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Mazzspeed said:

These machines are meant to be enjoyed, not locked in glass cases.

This. Similar to boxes. I have a boxed 800XL, which is almost brown by either smoke, UV, or a combination of both, which I got in a pretty nice box. I was thinking, I can put that somewhere in the "attic", but I can also put the box on display at the top of my bookcase/cupboard, and enjoy it every day :)

And that's next to the framed patent document of my avatar, which I once got as a birthday present from @SenorRossie :)

Edited by ivop
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ZuluGula said:

mount a DVI connector without making holes in your computer

Very clean and smart way of doing it (provided that PBI will be seldom used, but this is the intrinsic benefit of pursuing an internal-upgrade route, like U1MB, which will leave that port completely free).

Because of the upgrade-path chosen in the video, it turns out the host machine's ENTIRE analog-video interfacing facilities remain intact and operational (RF, Composite and Y/C), plus being entirely reversible without leaving a single trace... and that is a very good thing, on its own.

Nice!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ZuluGula said:

Just recently someone posted a video of a clever way how to mount a DVI connector without making holes in your computer.

I saw that as well. The only problem would be if you used the PBI bus for anything, but I don't think many people do. I thought it was a pretty ingenious way to get to use the Sophia without having to modify the case.

upgrade of course - if someone is not backward in this only right path to development, he will use the ultimate upgrade like esp8bit, but the poor can start with memory modification with a soldering iron, etc.

1 hour ago, MrFish said:

Not bad, until you want to use your PBI...

Not a problem, whatsoever.

The install shown in the video is fully reversible. Simply roll-it back, and extract ribbon through cart-port. Due to the ample carts' back-side clearance when inserted, the video ribbon will exit without any problems and fold nicely and flush (on the top of the case) towards the back of the machine, for final / external termination. Once not used or for storage, it could be even tucked INSIDE of the machine!

The message here is that there are (for sure) several install strategies that can be used to respond to different priorities or needs, including those who wish to preserve their machines as pristine as possible, inside/out.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Faicuai said:

Not a problem, whatsoever.

The install shown in the video is fully reversible. Simply roll-it back, and extract ribbon through cart-port. Due to the ample carts' back-side clearance when inserted, the video ribbon will exit without any problems and fold nicely and flush (on the top of the case) towards the back of the machine, for final / external termination. Once not used or for storage, it could be even tucked INSIDE of the machine!

The message here is that there are (fir sure) several install strategies that can be used to respond to different priorities or needs. 

I was speaking specifically to using the PBI port for cabling the DVI.