damanloox

Upgrade or not  

40 members have voted

1. 1. What should I do?

• Do Not Touch Her!
    • Upgrade!

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

1 minute ago, MrFish said:

I was speaking specifically to using the PBI port for cabling the DVI.

Indeed. Since it is fully reversible (and non-destructive), it is a non-issue when the day comes. That was the point.

Now, if it were to be affixed by different (and non-reversible) means, well, that could be sort of a nail in a coffin, for sure.

8 minutes ago, flashjazzcat said:

Ample backside clearance is sure to satisfy even the most special of needs.

So much that, someone preferring a fully external U1MB/SIDE3 solution at this day and age (with cart-switching supported externally as well), instead of an already-available internal package, may hardly have any special needs with the host A8... other than keeping it pristine, by definition.

But, again, there is no cookie-cutter that will work for everyone. Multiple strategies available for all needs.

But really... to answer the question asked.

If you already have two loaded systems (if I recall right) and you feel you need to ask.  Just don't bother.  If you're not sure what you want, don't spend the time and money until you are.

What's going to come out tomorrow?  The plug in U1MB?  The 1090 project with a video card that blows the VBXE away?  Who knows.

For now, it's a great stock machine you can show off at parties... later on, it becomes the new daily driver for whatever amazing must-have upgrade the future brings.

• Thanks 2

23 minutes ago, Faicuai said:

Indeed. Since it is fully reversible (and non-destructive), it is a non-issue when the day comes. That was the point.

My point was that if you want/need to use the PBI, you can't use that type of installation at all; and that is the issue.

If you need to ask, don't mod it.  It's remained pristine for this long because other people didn't.  It's the best 800XL out there. They are beautiful, too. A machine that is 8 out of 10 or less is great for modding. I question the notion that these computers should be modded. We can, but it's often unnecessary. External devices can do a whole lot. Wait for the external U1MB upgrade. 

Look at this hideous hack-job Sophia 2 install that is/was for sale on ebay:

962353663_Sophia2terriblehackjob.thumb.jpg.9d43920769e7c4729ab343ab704b28c6.jpg

413013047_Sophia2terriblehackjobpt2.thumb.jpg.803bb4a9b39078b294d2bce19db07178.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, flashjazzcat said:

Just get someone to install it who knows what they are doing:

IMG_20210515_162847034.thumb.jpg.19d0fbfafad0faa777385047e7240967.jpg

OMG - you heathen.  Do you know what kind of psychopath's inner psychopathic tendencies will come out due to that case modification?  You have dared desecrate a sacred piece of plastic some 30+ years old at this point, against ITS will.  Never to be put BACK to original pristine condition again.  I sure hope you don't TREAT everything in your fleet that way.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Sugarland said:

That does look good! Is that your work, Jonathan?

Of course. :)

2 minutes ago, MrFish said:

Needs a small plastic plate inside to conceal those gaps. ;)

I did used to make aluminium blanking plates, but then realised there was no particular need if the aperture is neat.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, flashjazzcat said:

Just get someone to install it who knows what they are doing:

IMG_20210515_162847034.thumb.jpg.19d0fbfafad0faa777385047e7240967.jpg

I'm curious though, what model you're working on there? All the 130XE's I have (or have had recently) look like this, with the TV icon centered and the two little lines coming out from it.

[This one's a PAL-B model I used to own.]

connectors-right.thumb.png.2c7b7f3f1e0f059a3b9baf6cb944eab4.png

Edited by MrFish

I don't believe in what I call 'retro hording'.

If you plan on actually using the machine in it's stock configuration on a regular basis, than it's your machine, do what you please with it. But if you plan on keeping it stock thinking it adds some form of historical significance while never actually using it because you prefer the machines you have with modern upgrades for practical reasons, then I just can't see the point.

People complain of the supply vs demand issue driving up retro computing prices on the second hand market, this is why we have a supply vs demand issue:

5oZSgaE.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Mazzspeed said:

I don't believe in what I call 'retro hording'.

If you plan on actually using the machine in it's stock configuration on a regular basis, than it's your machine, do what you please with it. But if you plan on keeping it stock thinking it adds some form of historical significance while never actually using it because you prefer the machines you have with modern upgrades for practical reasons, then I just can't see the point.

People complain of the supply vs demand issue driving up retro computing prices on the second hand market, this is why we have a supply vs demand issue:

5oZSgaE.jpg

They can have all the C64's and Amigas they want...

• Like 1

I honestly love modding/upgrading my Ataris.  I love being able to make them jump through hoops that they were never designed for.  That said, I definetly have at least one stock backup machine for every model of Atari that I have modded.  This way I really can have the best of both worlds.  :)

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Kyle22 said:

Is there much demand for that C= crap?

Yes working C64's sell for more than A8's. Lower supply to demand ratio than A8. Much higher fail rate too. Many of these old machines are going unused and it's very reasonable to store some. There just isn't that much interest, imo. Most models still cost less than they did back then (factoring inflation), except perhaps the XEGS that I can think of right now.

Edited by Sugarland
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Kyle22 said:

Is there much demand for that C= crap?

COMMODE.PNG

That would have to be one of the most downright childish and pointless memes I've ever seen.

Those day's are over, use that toilet to flush your pointless bitter hate.

Edited by Mazzspeed
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Sugarland said:

Yes working C64's sell for more than A8's. Lower supply to demand ratio than A8. Much higher fail rate too. Many of these old machines are going unused and it's very reasonable to store some. There just isn't that much interest, imo. Most models still cost less than they did back then (factoring inflation), except perhaps the XEGS that I can think of right now.

I wouldn't go that far, PAL A8's are going for higher prices than C64's as there was simply more C64's sold and love it or hate it the PAL A8 is the more desirable model from a software compatibility perspective.

As for failure rate, I'm not too sure what you mean? Both the A8 and C64 are roughly as reliable as one another, there's no specific difference that I can see with the exception of the C64's PLA and that's been 100% reverse engineered and available cheaply for quite some time now.