IGNORED

Audio Splitter Volume Issue

Tempest

I have a 5X Pro scaler that use with my Atari 2600.  With the 5X Pro the Component and S-Video inputs use the same audio inputs, so I need to use a splitter with them.  Unfortunately this has the unintended side effect of reducing the volume to the point where I have to turn my receiver up to unsafe levels and I'm getting a lot of background hissing as a result.   Is there a way to use RCA audio splitters without reducing the volume? 

Maybe I am not quite understanding what you are doing but with both component and S-Video are not the video and audio separate?

Therefore I am confuse as to how the splitter fits in to this unless you are using it backwards to combine two Audio feeds from different devices/cable into a single pair out inputs on your AV equipment.

If you are attempting to use a splitter to connect the two audio cables into one that is probably where you problem lies, as the splitter probably has resistors on each "output" or inputs as you would be using them which combined with the input impedance of the AV equipment is creating a potential divider and thus reducing the input signal levels.

If that is indeed the case them the simplest solution would be to use a Double Pole Double throw switch to manually switch between input cables.

The 5X Pro uses the same audio rca jacks for the S-Video and Component inputs for some reason (to save space I guess).  I was just using two splitters so I could plug an s-video and component device into them at the same time.

I managed to find a solution though.  I'm using a switch box for both my component and s-video systems.  On the s-video box I had an empty port so I ended up plugging the S-video switch box directly into the 5X Pro then plugging the component switch box audio output into that empty port on the S-video switch box.  So now when I want to use the component I just set the S-video switch box to that extra port to get sound.  Kind of janky but it works and I didn't have to add a third switch box just for audio into the equation.