Jump to content
KaeruYojimbo

BoredQuest (WIP)

Recommended Posts

Torr was planning to play some Fortnite, but his PS5 is installing a massive system update. Since he has time to kill, he thought he'd dig out his trusty Atari 2600 and play some of his old favorites. But it's been a while since the last time he hooked it up, and now his Atari stuff is scattered around the house. Before he can play, he'll have to find his VCS, joystick, power supply and game cartridges and bring them back to the TV.

 

bored.txt.thumb.png.8dc15ee17db64161fa571efe48fde10d.png

 

In this game, you control Torr. Move him through the rooms of the house to find everything he needs to play some Yars' Revenge. To collect each item, you'll need to finish a minigame. (Well, eventually. Right now only 2 of the minigames are in the game, and they're a little rough around the edges still. You can just grab the power supply and cartridge without playing a minigame.) Once you have all four items, bring them to the TV room and touch the TV. And that's it. The game ends. You don't get a jewel-encrusted joystick or anything like that.

 

This is still a work in progress. In addition to adding to more minigames, I want to improve the item location randomization and possibly add some sort of rating system that awards you stars when you finish based on how long it takes and how many times you have to play the minigames. Maybe a fifth item if I have room and can think of something (manual? snacks?).

 

BoredQuest 20210529.bin

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, KaeruYojimbo said:

This is still a work in progress. In addition to adding to more minigames, I want to improve the item location randomization and possibly add some sort of rating system that awards you stars when you finish based on how long it takes and how many times you have to play the minigames. Maybe a fifth item if I have room and can think of something (manual? snacks?).

Fun stuff, looking forward to seeing the other minigames!

 

- James

 

image.thumb.png.bab05b7d8d0e7d0a212b302c1025020c.png

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/29/2021 at 12:22 PM, KaeruYojimbo said:

Torr was planning to play some Fortnite, but his PS5 is installing a massive system update. Since he has time to kill, he thought he'd dig out his trusty Atari 2600 and play some of his old favorites. But it's been a while since the last time he hooked it up, and now his Atari stuff is scattered around the house. Before he can play, he'll have to find his VCS, joystick, power supply and game cartridges and bring them back to the TV.

 

bored.txt.thumb.png.8dc15ee17db64161fa571efe48fde10d.png

 

In this game, you control Torr. Move him through the rooms of the house to find everything he needs to play some Yars' Revenge. To collect each item, you'll need to finish a minigame. (Well, eventually. Right now only 2 of the minigames are in the game, and they're a little rough around the edges still. You can just grab the power supply and cartridge without playing a minigame.) Once you have all four items, bring them to the TV room and touch the TV. And that's it. The game ends. You don't get a jewel-encrusted joystick or anything like that.

 

This is still a work in progress. In addition to adding to more minigames, I want to improve the item location randomization and possibly add some sort of rating system that awards you stars when you finish based on how long it takes and how many times you have to play the minigames. Maybe a fifth item if I have room and can think of something (manual? snacks?).

 

BoredQuest 20210529.bin 4 kB · 38 downloads

A fifth item? I think there was a lack of this essential retro item to hook up an Atari on vintage TV. As a bonus you would be honoring inventor Allan Alcorn.

allan.png

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

But what if the Atari game he wanted to play was BoredQuest? You could go into an infinite loop. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Karl G said:

But what if the Atari game he wanted to play was BoredQuest? You could go into an infinite loop.

Inception 2600?

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just had a quick go. How do I complete the VCS minigame, please? I get that I'm having to go inbetween the two posts and go through when my path isn't blocked, but it doesn't seem to end. I figured it would end after a few passes through. Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 6/9/2021 at 2:42 AM, DVDfever said:

Just had a quick go. How do I complete the VCS minigame, please? I get that I'm having to go inbetween the two posts and go through when my path isn't blocked, but it doesn't seem to end. I figured it would end after a few passes through. Thanks.

For path (Between 2 posts), you need to run all way from bottom to top without being blocked. ;)

Edited by DeafAtariFromKansas
add "from bottom"...
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...