tripletopper

My joystick design cleared Hori USA hurdle

I guess this is the most general place to post general news about controllers.  It's not specific to one system, one company,  or one era.

If you search my username, you'll hear me talk about my joystick, or if you visit my website sinisterstick.com

A few months ago Hori USA said they love the design they think it would sell well in America but there was no way the main Japanese office would accept it.

Thanks to advice from a few guys on Atari Age, I should try to figure out if if a the poison pill that killed it automatically in Japan is right-stick and B if it is not that sort of poison pill, what would make it accepted in Hori of Japan's eyes?  In other words is there some deeper or better way to get such a thing made.

I discussed how the main reason there were no such thing as Ambi sticks were the economics of Ambi sticks and I believe I've solved at least 90% of the problems associated with either an ambidextrous joysticks the way they were at the time , or having separate left and right handed models.  I told him I understood why the Second Golden Rule is the reason why most joysticks are left-handed, (the arcade owner pays the bills and they want to minimize time on each quarter.). However the consumer is more of the boss than the arcade owner is on home joysticks.

Blah blah blah blah blah blah, and then the manager at Hori USA said I am correct, that I solved 90% of the problems of separate left and right models as well as an ambidextrous model relying on the Beeshu mirroring tactic.  Twice as much wire is a lot cheaper than twice as many buttons.

So this is what he told me.  Some things have a certain deadline like the Xbox Series joysticks the PS5 joysticks and any joysticks based on a particular title that have a vanity stick for it.  But he said, sometime, when there's a gap between vanity sticks, he'll send it to Hori of Japan.

:)

I understand it is not the final hurdle, but I'm not eliminated from the race yet.

On 5/29/2021 at 1:32 PM, tripletopper said:

I guess this is the most general place to post general news about controllers.  It's not specific to one system, one company,  or one era.

If you search my username, you'll hear me talk about my joystick, or if you visit my website sinisterstick.com

A few months ago Hori USA said they love the design they think it would sell well in America but there was no way the main Japanese office would accept it.

Thanks to advice from a few guys on Atari Age, I should try to figure out if if a the poison pill that killed it automatically in Japan is right-stick and B if it is not that sort of poison pill, what would make it accepted in Hori of Japan's eyes?  In other words is there some deeper or better way to get such a thing made.

I discussed how the main reason there were no such thing as Ambi sticks were the economics of Ambi sticks and I believe I've solved at least 90% of the problems associated with either an ambidextrous joysticks the way they were at the time , or having separate left and right handed models.  I told him I understood why the Second Golden Rule is the reason why most joysticks are left-handed, (the arcade owner pays the bills and they want to minimize time on each quarter.). However the consumer is more of the boss than the arcade owner is on home joysticks.

Blah blah blah blah blah blah, and then the manager at Hori USA said I am correct, that I solved 90% of the problems of separate left and right models as well as an ambidextrous model relying on the Beeshu mirroring tactic.  Twice as much wire is a lot cheaper than twice as many buttons.

So this is what he told me.  Some things have a certain deadline like the Xbox Series joysticks the PS5 joysticks and any joysticks based on a particular title that have a vanity stick for it.  But he said, sometime, when there's a gap between vanity sticks, he'll send it to Hori of Japan.

:)

I understand it is not the final hurdle, but I'm not eliminated from the race yet.

Have you removed the really weird “stalking and harassment of a six year old neighbor” story from your website, or is Hori down with child abuse?