IGNORED

The urge to buy

Brian R.

Ya know, I've often wondered, where the joy is in video gaming... in playing the games, or acquiring more?

Case in point - I've gotten up to 40 titles in my Dreamcast inventory. I've got a lot to play, a lot of variety, many, many good games I thoroughly enjoy. I've got seven new games over the past few weeks, as low as $4.99, no higher than $9.99.

Yet... I keep having these thoughts I need to go out and look for more! Despite the fact I've already spent probably as much as I can or care to for the time being. I have looked, but not bought anything more, mainly because the prices are too high ($50 for NHL2K2) or it's a game I'm not sure I'll like (Chu Chu Rocket). See lots of used stuff of course, but I avoid them because their often scratched and beat up and the prices are too high.

Still, I had the thought pass through my mind I should go grab that copy of Chu Chu for $8. And maybe an extension cord for $5. And that PC keyboard adaptor for $3. What I should do is just go home and play what I've got.

Anyone else wrestle with this?

I like the single player Chu Chu.

I know the feeling. At this point, with my wife not working for the summer and the new house, I can't spend $$ on games. I haven't been to a thrift all summer (withdrawl is a bitch - there's bugs crawling all over me...) but I have gone over to this classic games place near my house to look. I just want to buy everything in there whether I want to play the game now or not. I keep thinking,"Well, you may never see this again so BUY IT!"

So far I've been good and only bought 2 DC games for $4.99 all summer :sad:

Yeah, a lot of the reason why I've bought the DC stuff I have bought recently is because I figure I better grab it while I can. This was especially true of the VMU I bought - my fifth.

As for eBay, it can be tempting, but it can be easy to avoid, especially when you figure out the payment hassle (negated in large part by PayPal), the added expense of shipping and the time delay.

I'm actually buying less games these days. How does the old phrase go, "Jack of all trades, master of none". I would rather buy a few games and actually master and finish them than buy a whole bunch of games that sit around, unfinished and collect dust and that remind me of all the time and money wasted in buying the games.

I started to not enjoy games as much as I did when I was a teenager. When I was young, I could only afford to buy one or two games every few months. I would enjoy them more because it was all about getting into the game and finishing it and mastering the game. As a result, I would appreciate the game more and enjoy it more. I got that feeling back by not getting all caught up in the collecting hype. The feeling I get from being really good at a game is much more satisfying that having a large game collection. At least to me it is.

Now I just buy like ten games a year, classic and new. As a result, I enjoy my games more and have become really good at some of them.

Interesting topic.

ChuChu is cool, but...stressfull I'd say. It's really hard to bend your mind around all the moves and countermoves going on sometimes.

I'm really particular about buying games, unless its multiplayer, in which case I'm a bit of a sucker, even though when my friends come over we usually experiment little, mostly sticking with the proven favorites.

I definately know the feeling of not having the same amount of time to pour into gaming. In fact, I really try to maximize the bang for the buck, in terms of time, by having no qualms about going to a FAQ or walkthrough as soon as things get tough. The things, I've seen things in games that I know I never would have been able to get past on my own, either because I'm stupid or just not wiling to put enough time trying every little thing. So while I don't want to be "led by the hand" for everything, challenge for its own sake doesn't interest me either.

I understand the "urge to acquire". It can be pretty tough to deal with, especially when faced with a bargain. I've definitely lowered my gaming spending of late, primarily becauase I am trying to be more disciplined and finish playing some of the titles I have before buying more. This means deliberately avoiding "hot spots" like EB Games, Best Buy, the thrifts, and (online) Ebay. The good news is I've had more time for quality gaming. For some reason, I've been on an interactive ficition kick, trying to conquer some of the old Infocom titles that I never played back in the day. I just finished The Lurking Horror. Pretty spooky.

Still, every once in a while I find myself surfing through the Ebay listings or drifting into the local Circuit City...

I could have had a Genesis for Black Dreamcast trade a few months ago but the dude on the other end pulled out.

I do enjoy some of the Dreamcast games. Might consider picking an unit up if I can ever find it cheap enough.

Right now, I'm trying hard to cut back on my purchases. I've been using the Marketplace more instead of EBay and I have gotten better deals as a result. :)

As for playing everything, I'm not too worried. Someday, I will have my own game room with eery system set up and hopefully more time to play it.

Caved in to the "urge to buy." Kinda hard to resist when confronted with a brand new DC controller for $3.99. Now with three Sega-brand controllers, I should never have to worry about being without a controller for my DC.

Wasn't such a bargain after all. The pad has a bum D-pad - the right direction is flakey and won't work unless pressed just so. Gonna take it back for the ol' refund tomorrow probably.

A Q - I did see some new Mad Catz controllers at a GameStop for $7.99. People always seem to say the Sega-made controllers are better than any third party, but how are these? They look pretty good, more so than some other DC controllers I've seen.