IGNORED

Troubleshooting 5200 color shadowing or color artifacts

nitrohepcat

2 Port 5200 RF Out connected to a VCR and the composite out of the VCR is connected to an ebay composite to VGA adapter for display on a Dell VGA 4:3 monitor.

Attached are some images that show color shadows and vertical yellow lines on the right side. Two images from centipede are shown, this one has pretty bad color shadows. River Raid looks ok but there is strange red color on the left riverbank. Missile command shows the color shadowing of the red missile lines and the green satellite.

I haven't tried taking the 5200 apart to inspect or clean anything yet. Looking for advice or troubleshooting tips. I thought someone on the forum might recognize these issues.

20210602_101344.jpg

20210602_101408.jpg

20210602_101518.jpg

20210602_101614_capture.jpg

20210602_101711.jpg

Edited by nitrohepcat
added display on VGA monitor

I'm not sure there is anything wrong with your 5200.  You have a lot of conversions daisy chained together which can introduce artifacts.  I've always had some minor ghosts, lines when using RF, even BITD.  Your picture is RF converted to composite converted to VGA.  That's a lot of manipulation and you are starting out with RF which is suboptimal.  I'm curious as to what others using RF think.

14 minutes ago, nitrohepcat said:

What does BITD mean?

Back In The Day.

And I concure, that the slight ghosting is fairly typical with RF. CRTs hid most of these defects, but when you convert the signal as you are on a much higher resolution capable display, those defects in the video signal become more pronounced.

It was one of many reasons why most of my daily driver retro consoles have some form of AV upgrade added to them. In the case of the 5200, you could actually install or have a Sophia upgrade added to it to provide you with a DVI output that wouldn't require any real conversion to use with VGA. But, that is hardware modification so you might not be okay with that which is understandable and respected.