IGNORED

CAS files of interesting loaders

jindroush

Hi,
as mentioned in this thread:

are there verified cas dumps somewhere which have:
a) loaders with countdown counters
b) very long blocks and few IRG pauses - I remember Fort Apocalypse having that
Somehow I'd like to "hear" them again. In fact, CAS would be best, but simple video would help too.

Something like this ? (CAS = full version, MP3 = cut after one minute)

Dimension_X_CAS.zip

DIMX_cut_MP3.zip

Uses (mostly) long blocks (approx. 2048 Bytes per block).

There is also a nice Aackosoft version of BC's Quest for Tires, after the loader it has one long block 16k in size (the whole 16k game = 1 block).

News to me - although I did a short loader + 8K block (at higher bitrate) of the AsmEd cart that would load in about half the time, I had no idea that commercial games ever bothered to use such a technique.

At the least, it's a really good copy protection method since there's no easy way to know what length is being used if it's not the default (and additional to that you could probably use a different timing sequence method which would make SIO based copying next to impossible)

9 hours ago, CharlieChaplin said:

Something like this ? (CAS = full version, MP3 = cut after one minute)

Dimension_X_CAS.zip 13.99 kB · 1 download

DIMX_cut_MP3.zip 1.61 MB · 0 downloads

Uses (mostly) long blocks (approx. 2048 Bytes per block).

There is also a nice Aackosoft version of BC's Quest for Tires, after the loader it has one long block 16k in size (the whole 16k game = 1 block).

Charlie, thanks, this is exactly what I had in mind. And it actually works in Altirra. Great (will look at its guts later, just for fun).

I also downloaded Fort Apocalypse from fujinet.us.to (goddamit, the only way I found out is tnfs_client.py but it works only from Linux), and althought it is not the one I had in mind, it's very funny - playing music and Pong while loading is amusing.

Hi Paul,
pfff, mere 17 years of time spent in interrupt and people start to ask questions! :)
It's just some people around here are trying to salvage some old stuff and I currently have some time to play with such a stuff. Just virtually, no Atari hw in my house anymore (or, again).

6 hours ago, Rybags said:

News to me - although I did a short loader + 8K block (at higher bitrate) of the AsmEd cart that would load in about half the time, I had no idea that commercial games ever bothered to use such a technique.

At the least, it's a really good copy protection method since there's no easy way to know what length is being used if it's not the default (and additional to that you could probably use a different timing sequence method which would make SIO based copying next to impossible)

Copy protection? Did we not used Stereo double tape for dubbing ??? ;) 

Edited by Heaven/TQA
  • Haha 1