IGNORED

U1MB, Incognito, SIDE2, SIDE3, 1088XEL/XLD Firmware 4.0 Released

1 hour ago, flashjazzcat said:

OK: Just tested NINE cart builds on my PAL U1MB 600XL (the seven already existing versions and the two Mazzspeed uploaded in case they were corrupted, etc) with SIDE3 Loader 0.39 and they all worked. Bearing in mind that once the cartridge image has been DMA'd into SRAM, the loader calls a completely clean OS coldstart with the cart's start bank in position, there are only two likely places where problems can occur:

• Transfer errors when loading the data, which would affect all your cart loading operations
  • Indeterminate behaviours caused by uninitialised memory, interrupt setup, etc

With cart images, the speed of loading can make no difference at all, since once the data is present and the cart space turned into ROM, an OS coldstart is triggered. So the onus at that point is pretty much on the cartridge image itself to work properly (unless you already observed endemic stability issues with other titles).

There is something funky going on with this title. The Megacart and SIC titles were booting perfectly this morning, this afternoon only the SIC .CAR would boot. Tomorrow the Atarimax .CAR will probably boot fine! It's like some kind of timing issue?

As long as one of them boots, I'm happy. In fact, even if none of them boot I'm not that fussed as I'm total crap at the game anyway. ;)

13 minutes ago, Mazzspeed said:

There is something funky going on with this title.

Seems so. With the amount of point-and-laugh going on regarding SIDE3 emulation bugs now fixed, I had assumed everything would be buttery-smooth now, but there is still a lot of frantic activity in the thread by all accounts.

Edited by flashjazzcat
Censored emoticon
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, flashjazzcat said:

Seems so. With the amount of point-and-laugh going on regarding SIDE3 emulation bugs now fixed, I had assumed everything would be buttery-smooth now, but there is still a lot of frantic activity in the thread by all accounts. :)

In his defense, I can see Rensoup is doing his best to work through the issues. But I see little assistance from a certain lightweight OS replacement developer, which isn't helping matters.

It's a bit of a debacle in that thread ATM to be honest. Thanks again for the SIDE3 fixes FJC, the way you stand by your code and assist others speaks volumes.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, flashjazzcat said:

Well, when one makes a mistake, admit it, apologize, and fix the problem. It's the most efficient way to proceed.

This is one of the best post I've read on AtariAge in awhile. I enthusiastically support this statement.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Mazzspeed said:

But I see little assistance from a certain lightweight OS replacement developer, which isn't helping matters.

And the earth is flat with Santa living on the bottom side.

I don't see where Voldemort could help rensoup, if rensoup does not use Voldemort's code in his cartridge. But he gave hints on why the disk version might hang.

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Level42 said:

Now all we need is Stuntcarracer in CAR format...

I did begin this but as the original is 128K and uses the $4000-$7FFF memory area for the bank swapping its a fair amount of work to jiggle this around to run from the cart bank memory areas... not impossible... just a lot of work... and I get distracted easily :D 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Wrathchild said:

The aim of moving it to cart was to allow the game to run in 64K, hence not a high priority

image.png.527c59809b94ae392b6e39d0f6422bfa.png

Simius can make an MMU overlay that allows you to configure memory addressing - e.g. change address ranges - I know this because when executing MapRAM, it probably sent me a core by mistake in which I could have several zero pages and CPU stacks.
question: what would happen if you swapped memory management so that the CAR mapping was $4000 not $8000 (and locked the ext. memory) of course also PORTB mapped (depending on the car type to D5xx) you would not have to modify games for extended memory because PORTB would suddenly start changing banks to CAR.
on this configuration, each CAR would be seen as ext memory with the difference that it would not switch CAR banks via the D5xx page but via PORTB
it would be witchcraft :DDD

maybe someone would check by adding a patch on the emulator if it is possible ;-)

Edited by xxl

Yeah, Prince of Persia made me think of Aladdin and so on.... ;) Definitely don't want to put any fuel on any fires....

Something else:

I usually only interface through the keyboard with the U1MB menus but I just tried to use the joystick and whenever I press the button the setting is changed and the cursor is returned to the left and the setting is reversed back....

A reboot didn't help...

Edited by Level42

Just now, DrVenkman said:

Me, in many of my machines. Hell, two of my 800’s and one 400 have only 48K, and one 400 has 16K. :) 

Yes, of course. I have an original PAL 800, some 600XL's, 130XE's a 800XL here and there, but those are not my daily drivers so I'm not bothered if those games don't work on them. They are just collectibles....

4 hours ago, DjayBee said:

And the earth is flat with Santa living on the bottom side.

I don't see where Voldemort could help rensoup, if rensoup does not use Voldemort's code in his cartridge. But he gave hints on why the disk version might hang.

I didn't mention the .CAR image.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Level42 said:

Yeah, Prince of Persia made me think of Aladdin and so on.... ;) Definitely don't want to put any fuel on any fires....

Something else:

I usually only interface through the keyboard with the U1MB menus but I just tried to use the joystick and whenever I press the button the setting is changed and the cursor is returned to the left and the setting is reversed back....

A reboot didn't help...

Never mind.....I clearly missed the earlier bug fix for this....sorry :)

• Like 1

On 6/6/2021 at 11:51 PM, flashjazzcat said:

First bug fix, correcting accidentally broken joystick trigger processing in the BIOS setup menu (only U1MB, Incognito and 1088XEL/XLD affected).

https://atari8.co.uk/u1mb-and-incognito-firmware-4-0-bug-fix/

Thanks to Doug_in_NC on Discord for spotting this. :)

Hi Jon, do I correctly assume that only the Firmware itself needs to be re-flashed with this update ? 

47 minutes ago, Level42 said:

Hi Jon, do I correctly assume that only the Firmware itself needs to be re-flashed with this update ? 

That's correct, yes.

And - joy upon joy - I found another small (non-critical) bug in the same main BIOS last night, so there'll be another update imminently (probably tonight, so you might hold off to save yourself some effort).

That's two - admittedly minor - issues in the main BIOS since the 4.0x release, although frankly I consider this pretty good-going given the fact I was making changes to the common main BIOS base code days before it was released in order to cater (and find room) for last minute additions made possible by the pending Incognito JED update.

• Like 2

Of course. Any project not subject to maintenance updates is a dead project. Even the most toweringly talented coders on the scene (such as Avery Lee) have to fix bugs in their stuff.

The important thing is finding the issues, which I am extremely good at doing immediately after releasing the update. :D

• Like 2
  • Haha 5