So im a huge fan of bootleg/obscure hardware, and two of my favorites pieces of my collection are these old 1993 Megadrive clones i bought.

The first one is a Nasa New 16 bit, the clone lacks a lot of features like the headphone jack and the MegaCD port, and is incompatible with the 32x and some multitaps, but the console has a great built quality.

The second one is the infamous Kw-501, which i was kinda disappointed that the built quality was very bad, but the console has most of the features the Nasa lacks.

Any of you guys owns an old Megadrive clone or similar?

RDT_20210615_1823272962498958865076997.jpg

• Like 1

Can't say I own one, but I gotta admit I find them quite interesting. I love how the Kw one tries to be like the official Model 1 but different at the same time. It's oddly charming in a way.

Nowadays it's pretty samey. It's more about practicality, as most of them have HDMI out and have a design largely similar to the official hardware. Back then they generally had a little more personality, for better or worse...

Edited by RetroSonicHero
yk this thread has actually kinda made me wanna track an old one down, they seem so interesting
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

I have such a Sega Mega Drive 1 clone - MEGAGAME. One thing that makes me wonder why Aladdin PAL does not work - I get the error "" developed for use only with PAL and French secan mega drive systems ". Other games like Sonic 1 or Lion King PAL work correct.
I wonder why this is happening.

Edited by siudym

The only Mega Drive clone I know that has the expansion for Sega CD and 32X support is the MegaVision by Dynacom in Brazil, less than a thousand units were sold to the public before Tectoy called the police and ordered the rest to be disassembled. I was going to make a topic full of details about Sega's clone hardware but there are a lot more details compared to Nintendo's consoles so I am postponing it.

Well the title states "clone". Does that include licensed clone/consoles?

If so, I have the JVC X'eye. I like the fact the CD drive is built-in. It make for a more compact unit.

I'm guessing you really are interested in "bootleg clones" and not just clones.

36 minutes ago, pboland said:

Well the title states "clone". Does that include licensed clone/consoles?

If so, I have the JVC X'eye. I like the fact the CD drive is built-in. It make for a more compact unit.

I'm guessing you really are interested in "bootleg clones" and not just clones.

The example you gave isn't a clone, it's a third party model, the hardware inside it is identical to what is inside a Mega Drive with a Mega CD, clone hardwares have reverse engineered chipsets inside, either using chips similar to the original, ASICs or FPGAs.